android
Old 10-26-2010, 02:11 PM

Default Build Quality on mid-low range IEMs?

Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a while but finally need some advice I can't find elsewhere.

Last set of IEMs I picked up were the soundmagics and I was really happy with them.. except they just broke. They held up pretty well but since I'm a dancer, and I'm constantly moving around with my phones and they tend to go pretty quick (wrecked my old shure e2cs in about 3 months....).

I want to try something else this time around so I was wondering if I can get some advice as to which of these are going to hold up the best (or if you have other suggestions). Put this list together mostly from browsing here and head-fi.

Maximo i590
Hippo Pearl
Meelectronic Ai-M6
Visang r02
Brainwavz m1

From what I understand they're all pretty good value so I just need to know what's going to last me the longest. If I have to say I'm leaning one way it's probably to the brainwavz just because they're on sale if I pre-order em in the next couple days... but looking forward to your advice. Thanks in advance~

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-26-2010, 09:35 PM

I have a question, your previous phones spoiled at the cables? I can't think of how you will be 'hitting' the drivers when you are dancing.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 AM

Shures came apart at the cables right next to the earphones, the soundmagics are breaking down at the actual ear bud. they might have been dropped too many times as they fly out of my ears hahaha.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfink View Post
Shures came apart at the cables right next to the earphones, the soundmagics are breaking down at the actual ear bud. they might have been dropped too many times as they fly out of my ears hahaha.
If you are putting them through that much abuse, I wouldn’t recommend to spend too much money. Also you may want to learn how to solder so you can open them up and fix them, it’s really not hard and the gear is very inexpensive. When looking at the next pair make sure you look at a pair with good stress relief. I can not comment on the selections you have made, I haven't tried any of them.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 PM

Yeah, all those are around 30-40 which i dont mind shelling out for a pair if it will last me at least 6 months or so... Thanks for the advice though

Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 PM

If you have something designed like the earsonics or westones, its actually damn hard for them to drop out of your ears. Ok, I'll give some tips which you probably can try

1) I presume your player is somewhere in a pocket near waist level. Run your earphone cable down your back and within your shirt/t-shirt. This helps reduces microphonics and also prevents your cable from being tugged at unknowingly

2) Get some comply foam tips. They stay in the ears very well. You'll have to find the correct size for your earphone stems though

Old 10-27-2010, 09:26 PM

The M6 has great build quality for the price. Also, avoid the M1 at all costs if you regularly abuse your earphones. It's objectively supposed to sound better than the M6, but the lack of strain reliefs means they won't last long if used hard.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-27-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinz View Post
If you have something designed like the earsonics or westones, its actually damn hard for them to drop out of your ears. Ok, I'll give some tips which you probably can try

1) I presume your player is somewhere in a pocket near waist level. Run your earphone cable down your back and within your shirt/t-shirt. This helps reduces microphonics and also prevents your cable from being tugged at unknowingly

2) Get some comply foam tips. They stay in the ears very well. You'll have to find the correct size for your earphone stems though
I actually do both of these things haha. If I'm paying attention it usually isn't a problem, but once I start spinning, jumping etc, nothing really keeps em in.

Thanks for more advice guys! The more input the better~

Old 10-29-2010, 04:19 AM

The only other idea I can think of then will be to wear it over the ear with the help of a ear guide

Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@OP: I own the Maximo i590s and while I would not say they are the most durable IEMs I have ever seen, they do offer some very good features - cloth cable, decent strain relief on both ends, excellent accessories and best of all, a lifetime warranty. The company has been very good with me, immediately replacing a pair where the glue was bad holding one IEM housing together. They even did stuff like a photo RMA, decreasing the time for the RMA process quite a bit.

As a dancer, do you wear like some clothing - I ask because IEMs that offer a shirt clip of some sort might help in terms of keeping the cable secure. And also, of course, try to get the snuggest fit possible from your IEM tips.

Not intimately familiar with the other brands you mention though....
cheers,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Tags
brainwavz, build quality, cheap, headphones, iem