android
Old 03-16-2010, 03:01 AM

Help Walkman X vs A840 on SQ

both are supposed to have the S master amplifier..has anyone heard both of them?the A840 has somewhat better earphones.Please reply.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Banned

I have the X and the new A is meant to sound exactly the same. You're right about the iems - the EX300s are significantly better than any of the 'premium' iems Sony has shipped before.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:25 AM

hopefully I'll be able to respond to this in a week when my 845 ships!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:48 AM

I can respond a bit: both have very good internal amps: to a point. Expect good FR from dynamic earphones and I assume pretty good FR with balanced armatures. But...

The X hisses and the A84x hisses a little more - it is pretty bad actually.

Then, the A has a clicking in the background which you can hear with sensitive earphones.

This has been tested and retested with several A84x machines at Yodobashi, all suffering the same problem.

Build is several steps below the X and I wonder where my money went... grumble, grumble, bumble, bramble...

Here's a piccie!

Got more with the ALO LOD and my trusty A828 here.

Last edited by shigzeo; 03-23-2010 at 04:37 AM.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
I can respond a bit: both have very good internal amps: to a point. Expect good FR from dynamic earphones and I assume pretty good FR with balanced armatures. But...

The X hisses and the A84x hisses a little more - it is pretty bad actually.

Then, the A has a clicking in the background which you can hear with sensitive earphones.

This has been tested and retested with several A84x machines at Yodobashi, all suffering the same problem.

Build is several steps below the X and I wonder where my money went... grumble, grumble, bumble, bramble...

Here's a piccie!

Got more with the ALO LOD and my trusty A828 here.
Ignoring all the hissing n clicking how is the overall SQ?the balance..is it flat, warm or natural?and the clarity compared to X.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 AM

No Sony is neutral: every single one is weighted toward the low end by at least 0,5 decibels (believe me, it is audible). Clarity is similar though both the X and A seem to be a bit softer sounding than the old A828. I really like the look and the controls, but the sound isn't all it's made up to be.

I've spent a longer time with the X and now with the A845 with and without LOD/amp combo and have to say I like the A, but the hissing and especially the clicking (which goes on the entire time the thing plays) is pretty out-putting. All that said, if I had only the choice between the A or nearly any other player, I'd choose the A.

If the choice was opened to the X, the A, and a current iPod touch, I'd got with the former or the latter as the A is in its current firmware, disappointing. Sure, soft and warm, but for someone who listens to earphones, artefacts such as hiss AND now clicking are two very negative things.

I cannot think of the words 'sound' and 'quality' in reference to an object which is both lower in S/N and higher in audible artefacts than any current DAP I have (let us pull the HiSound AMP3 and Rocoo out of the picture).

Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM

I think I just gave up on the A845 lol
had the X before but it didnt make me go "Whuzza!" so ye
Sonys out of my choice of Players lol

Old 06-25-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Apologies for bumping an old post, but I was wanting to query this. I've just got an A845 and am having isues with it 'popping' between songs on occasion..hard to describe, but it makes a sort of 'phut' sound.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this> Is it similar to the 'clicking' or have I got a duff unit?

Cheers for any help!

Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by head2head View Post
Apologies for bumping an old post, but I was wanting to query this. I've just got an A845 and am having isues with it 'popping' between songs on occasion..hard to describe, but it makes a sort of 'phut' sound.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this> Is it similar to the 'clicking' or have I got a duff unit?

Cheers for any help!
It actually is the issue that shigzeo was referring to. I didn't order 1 based on his personal experience w/the player, and there's also others who've had quite the similar occurrence w/the A84x Series on another site: Head-Fi.org

Old 06-26-2010, 05:14 AM

Thanks very much for that - I'll have a bit of a dig around. I've got an S545 now as well and that doesn't have any of the issues the A has. Shame, as its a damn nice looking player!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Old thread, sorry, but I had to respond. The popping between tracks is ONE issue, the constant clicking in the background is another. I have very sensitive ears, so I am always looking for the least annoying player. Hiss is bad enough that I sold the A845, but behind that veil was the constant (the entire time the machine plays music) clicking sound and of course, the popping in between tracks. If your earphones are sensitive enough, you will hear the constant clicking.