android
Old 10-07-2010, 06:00 PM

I need these. ;~;

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-07-2010, 06:31 PM

I don't need these, but somehow dfkt makes me want it. Is it the photos?

This would be an interesting choice if I had the money and also would be my first 'real' headphones. I hope others can enjoy it.

I seriously love the simple/minimalist look of them.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

These paired w/a tactille button adorned Cowon X7 and I'll be a happy camper. WooT!!! Me likey!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 PM

dfkt, I don't mean to sound like I'm rushing you toward some deadline, but is there any chance you'll have a review up (or at least some strong impressions) before Black Friday this year? I believe that this year it will be November 26. I'm asking because for those of us interested in the TMA-1 (at least in the US) that's the time to normally take advantage of the year's best deals.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-10-2010, 04:42 AM

I already have strong impressions about the TMA-1.

They sound great, they look great, and their build quality and functionality seems great too.

I'm on the 4th day of listening to them, and to my ears it's pretty clear they have one of the best basses of all closed cans I've heard so far. Think Hippo VB, but with a bit less quantity, or, better weighted compared to the whole frequency response: deep, tight, punchy, textured, layered, controlled, no distracting midbass hump.

The other thing the TMA-1 do better than other closed cans I've heard is their timbre, reverberation, fast attack speeds, and long, roomy decays. They got none of the boxiness or nasality often found in closed phones - in these aspects they're even better than some quality open cans.

Treble isn't very forward (similar to the HD650, unlike the HD 25-1), but it's detailed, fast, and non-fatiguing. I got used to their treble presentation pretty fast - especially since I had the HD650 for years, and now find the hot treble of phones like the HFI-780 a bit overwhelming in AB tests.

The one thing that I don't care so much for on the TMA-1 is actually a dilemma: their low clamping force. On the one hand they're damn comfortable, and I almost forget I'm having them on my head, on the other hand they move around on my head when I'm doing stuff that involves lots of head movement. They're perfectly fine while being in front of the computer or walking on the streets and such, but for jogging they might not be suited - or for action-packed DJ sets, what they're meant for. People with larger melons might have better results that way.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:37 AM

Hey dfkt.

How do the TMA-1's compare to the t50p's? I am in the market for new cans for more or less portable use, and those two models caught my eye the most. All I need is a few words from you, since your opinion was usually a deal breaker for me

By the way - jogging with cans? You would need a clamp for that, something strong enough to cut bloodflow to your brain.

cheers,
Greg

Old 10-10-2010, 07:46 AM

Look who's coming out of the woodwork after all these years...

They aren't even from the same planet. The TMA-1 pulverize the T50p in about every aspect.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Grrr, I want these so bad!!! Thanks for all the info dfkt, now I gotta beg the Mrs. for these for Christmas.

PS: Welcome back Greg!!! Hang around for awhile, you've been missed.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the info, dfkt.

Yeah, well, I sort of turned into a lurker recently, cant afford to be an active member anymore. I really miss you guys!

Thanks for the info again! *melts into shadows*

grg

Old 10-11-2010, 12:49 AM

Alright, looks like it's a done deal. Someone on headfi stated that when they first came out, they were priced at an introductory $160. Hopefully, come black friday, we'll see a similar deal. Maybe even better. And dfkt, thanks alot for the impressions!
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-11-2010, 04:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah they had a 15% off coupon code up untill the 16th of august at a specific US retailer but imo they are so weird and different (oh the irony) that they are worth the full price imo. Well have yet to receive mine so we'll see so far its been promising. Ordered mine direct from their webshop, should be here today (1 day ahead of schedule) but then again I most likely wont be home to receive them so I'll most likely have to go to the post office to get them tomorrow anyway :P

Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 AM

I have these bad boys and I am absolutely in love with them.

Hey dfkt - what did you use for that wireless setup? I'm dying to try that out.

--er just occurred to me that looks like it could be a real small clip-on mp3 player of some sorts haha.

Last edited by porkrobot; 10-11-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:17 AM

porkrobot, That's a Sansa Clip + connected via a short cable.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Got them today and just breaking them in right now. Seems comfort will need a little work to settle in, far too used to my huge headphones and my overly loose and lower-ear cupping HD25 SP's. The way the TMA-1s sit on your ears is more symmetrical, so the upper portion of my ears feels a bit of strain after a while of use. Might also be due to the cable which is a bit too heavy for comfort, like all coiled cables. Currently wearing the cable wrapped once around my neck

Sound is a refreshing step towards more accurate musical reproduction. Although it feels like I'm still missing something in the midrange, maybe its just the obvious lack of a midbass hump when coming from my HD 25 SP's. It always feels that way with new headphones though. Your just so used to what you've had that something new and different will always sound a bit "wrong". Plus my initial fit issues will undoubtedly make my impressions a little negative.

Also just as a disclaimer, I am always overly critical of all my purchases from the get go, easier to point out the initial flaws and all. Comfort is also highly personal matter, I'm awfully picky about it and my head is by most standards larger then average, because apparently "One size fits all" is not my size :P (Speaking of Hat sizes)

Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Getting these in 2 weeks.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:31 PM

Jack4L, try plugging the cable the opposite way in, that way the coiled part is at the bottom. I found that to be more comfy (before I ditched it altogether and made a 'proper' cable for them).

Old 10-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Where can I get myself a proper cable, dfkt?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBottles View Post
Where can I get myself a proper cable, dfkt?
One possibility, if you're not technically inclined enough to make your own(like me)....http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...duct_list&c=13

Old 10-12-2010, 02:35 PM

Monoprice has good cables for reasonable prices: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10218

Old 10-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Monoprice has good cables for reasonable prices: http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10218
Wow, fantastic prices! Thanks!

Thank you too, Marvin the Martian.