android
Old 10-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Help My Cx300s are broken, what do I get now?

Hi guys, It's been a little over a year that I've owned the CX300s and a week ago one of the buds died on me. I hear a snap crack and pop, from then onwards nothing came out of that bud. So, I decided it's time to get a new pair.

First of all I don't consider/think myself as an audiophile, but I do like my music. I mainly listen to rock and metal, sometimes vocal and electro. I can go up to 50$ but don't take me there if the price isn't worth it, I'm a bargain hunter at heart .

I'm running a rockboxed Sans Clip+ at the mo and I'm not thinking of changing any time soon. I would also like to stick to IEMs for portability reasons, but if you have some can suggestions that don't leak too much sound and are not too bulky then I'm all ears.

I hope I've given enough info for you guys to help me choose my next pair.

Thx,
Mojito

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-05-2010, 10:09 AM

Nothing keeping you from getting a new pair of CX300s

Old 10-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Mojito:
I am like the only 1 here who owns these but I absolutely love them - in my mind, one of the best sub 50USD IEMs out there. A real darkhorse:

Maximo iMetal i590s. around 40USD from Amazon, so you get a bulletproof return policy. I have 2 pairs of these actually.

An extremely fun set of IEMs. Good build quality, a crapload of accessories and packaging like a much more expensive set [it comes with a small classy hardshell case], lifetime warranty.

Oh the sound? Very capable and fun all around. The marketing BS on the box claims they are "enhanced definition". This translates to my ears as very strong mids/crisp highs but they extend very low on the bottom end. They take to EQ extremely well on all my DAPs.

Check em out online yourself, reviews, etc... I don't often agree with a lot of the audio wackiness at headfi, but these are very well received over there by more than a few members.

For the price, I love em. They sound very similar [but crisper mids/highs to me] than the very nice Klispsch S4 [which hit the bottom end a bit more pronounced, but can sometimes be a bit boomy with certain music].

my 2 cents...YMMV

PS: I owned the CX300 [gave em to mom] - the i590s are far superior in nearly every sonic aspect to me. Much much more engaging and fun to listen to, with no muddy bottom end like the CX300s to my ear.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Hi lestatar, thanks for your input. I looked up those Maximo iMetal i590s and I'm getting mixed reviews. Some people say they're great (soundwise) and there are those who say they're a POS and aren't very durable. Another thing that annoys me is that I'm in Europe, France precisely so I can use use US sites that smack a large P&P on items.
Would you know any international sites like Jaben who have good prices?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, i don't want to sound like a shill for Maximo as I am not and in fact take great pains to avoid hyping them overmuch. Are they the best thing since sliced bread? No. But to me, they sound quite great as I described, comparing very favorably with the other IEMs in my sig, especially for the price. Though yes, overall, my recently acquired Panas are the last pair of IEMs I will buy for a long long time.

My own experience with durability has been absolutely fine. I did have one pair [an original pair from around February] where the glue came the seam of the right IEM housing. Additionally, the braided cable was not prone to tangling, but was to kinking.

I contacted Maximo in USA and the sent me 2 free replacement sets. Both have newer, much more supple braided cable, a one piece molded angled plug with better strain relief [but is not as pretty as the original silver one] and they assured me that the glue issue was very rare.

All I can tell you of my own experiences with them.

No idea on EU stuff, sorry. I know you guys pay a premium for gear over there. Wish I could help on this aspect.

If you know Jaben, the VBs [which I have and love - incredible bass monsters with great overall sound] or the new Hippo 10s [which dfkt seems to indicate is a more refined VB with a touch less bass] maybe good choices for you.

read dfkt's ratings and reviews here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=15243

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=8404

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...hread.php?t=69

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=57881

I trust dfkt totally on this stuff. Do we always agree? No. But he gives some of the best no BS advice and reviews of this stuff I have ever seen - when he speaks, I pay attention. That ain't fanboy-ism...it is respect for a person who has deep experience with audio gear. Only one of many reasons and people why ABi is such a great place.

Sorry for the long post- hope some info was useful to you.

Do let us know what you end up getting.
cheers,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Administrator

If you're looking for Jaben based IEMs from a European seller you may want to look at the Classifieds here.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah, good pointing that out skip252 - I forgot about that.

@OP, do read the last link in my post here, where dfkt minj-reviews these IEMs up for sale now.

And also in interest of full disclosure, see a similar writeup on some of these here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...nd-hippo-white

The conclusions drawn are pretty similar for the most part.

cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-06-2010, 11:17 AM

Hi guys, thanks indeed skip252 for pointing out the Classifieds.

Now that my CX300s have COMPLETLY died, I'm running round the house like a headless chicken because my "back-up" 'phones are the stock ones that came with the clip+.

The Hippo 10 looks like the biggest contender here, but I feel a bit embarrassed that I'm paying 50EUR for some headphones. I looked on that comparison charts to compare others with the 10s and right underneath are the Hippo Pearl for a much lower price! and they're classed higher than the VB, what gives?

Old 10-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Those are dfkt's evaluations from his experience with those 'phones and headphones in general. A higher price doesn't always make a headphone sound better or represent better value.

Personally I've always questioned why the Radius Atomic Bass I once had and hated out rank the CX 300B I have and like. But hey that's what he hears. As dkft says your mileage may vary. I personally use it as an indicator of what to avoid rather than what to buy. One time throwing my money away on low end Sony's was enough for me.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

As usual, skip252 says it best.

Headphones are so intensely personal. NO 2 people hear things the same way. So what is one to do, given the plethora of choices available.

Do research if you care. Read reviews but understand always that the reviews are done by people and that their results are their own subjective conclusions.

Stuff like build quality, materials used, strain reliefs, etc...those are factual factors and can be easily quantified.

Sound quality cannot.

So, I personally try as many as my interests and budget allows - because I love music, I make the effort. And while I look to people like dfkt and others for certain information, I do not expect their experience to mirror my own reactions to the same headphones. But it is a starting point.

Ain't this fun? lol
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-06-2010, 03:21 PM

Can't say I dissagree with you guys. Unfortunatly it isn't that simple as walking into in a shop and saying "hey wanna buy some headphones I wanna test out all that you got", well it's like that in France anyway. So I guess you just have to bite the bullet and put some faith in the reviewers.

I think I'm going to try out the Pearls, judging buy the reviews they're good for the price and sound neutral. Besides I'm on a tight budget as I've got quite an expensive hobby that I'm trying to maintain.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah hear ya Mojito, can be very tough. We are all not as fortunate in this regard.

Here's what I do: I usually buy stuff from places with bulletproof return policies - if 2-3 items I am looking at I will buy them all. Use em at home for a few days, then ditch and return the ones I don't want.

Yes, upfront money makes it tougher, but I personally almost never experience buyer's remorse this way.

Good luck man and do post back what you end up getting and your impressions. Sites like this live on first hand feedback - the more the better, pro and con.

cheers,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 AM

Hey Mojito

Since you are on tight budget, you can look at Meelectronics m9. They are good pair of earphones. Also m11 are good too. Thinksound TS10 and Rain are good too. You can look at Nuforce n6/n7-m. All these goes for less than $40. Don't know how much they cost in France though.

I am in same boat as you are having broken my cx-300s. Still wondering what to get.

best of luck

Tags
clip+, cx300, headphone, iem