android
Old 09-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Default Bloated Battery

Hi,
Okay, my battery got all bloated and full of air so I took it out of the housing and poked a hole in it to let the air out.
Common sense tells me that the air in the battery is not a good thing. But just how bad is it?
The battery is still functional and seems to hold a charge but what the heck happened here. I have plenty of ideas but anybody know the science behind it and maybe how long does my battery have left?
Thanks,
krazy old man

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-07-2010, 02:50 PM

Li-Ion batteries are known for changing size and form, slightly, during charge/discharge. That said, the sort of experience you had seems unusual. Exactly how bloated did it become?

AFAIK Li-ion does not produce any gasses (like lead acid, example being a car battery, most certainly does create) so I can't see it originating in the battery...it has to relate to the pack inside expanding.

I can't really offer any more info than that...it hasn't happened to my Vision W battery but perhaps others have had similar experiences?

Old 10-09-2010, 01:13 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if you left your player out in the car or on a window sill, etc. A while ago (when it still worked...) I accidentally left my ZVW in the center console of my car and the battery now has such an excessive bulge that I can hardly slide the battery on. I never saw any decrease in battery life, but it still isn't good. I'd suggest buying a new battery.