android
Old 10-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Contributing Editor

Thanks for the info dfkt. I'm not a pro either, but that definitely seems to be what I'm hearing through these sweet sounding buds.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-05-2010, 08:04 PM

Tempted, tempted....I really do want a pair of these. Need to wait a bit though. Damn bills. Maybe I'll ask mama for a pair for Christmas.

Amp: PA2V2, Fiio E3, FiiO E7, FiiO E5, FiiO E11, FiiO E6, FiiO E10

Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 PM

Haha, I thought I'd stop my audio adventures with the purchase of the ESW10JP and the RE0....

The moment my RE0s break, I'm buying one of these. I can't afford to buy another one while the others are still working :/
Broken/Lost: Sansa Clip, RE0 ;_;, JVC FX500 ;_;

Old 10-05-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
wow, that graph makes perfect sense to me and what I am hearing. Am no expert reading these kinds of things, but I understand enough to read that.

@ScottGTO:
We share the same DAP gear [E345 and v2RB Fuze]. For me and my ears, for nearly every type of music I have thrown at the Panas for 2 weeks, the following sound settings sound best to me:

- SonyE345: EQ flat, ClearBass = 1. USA E345, with these settings volume 9 is plenty loud.
- Fuze v2 RB: EQ Flat, Treble = 1, Bass = 2. Volume -22dB is plenty loud for me.

Will be interesting to hear you impressions, especially if you bother to try the settings I gave for comparison sake.

cheers [Tom Petty: "The waiting is the hardest part..."]
-lestatar

That's it.
Lestatar. I will definitely try your suggestions for EQ and what not. Thanks for sharing. I'll throw some Dave Matthews, David Crowder, and some Phil Collins at 'em and let you know my thoughts.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 AM

Hey!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sYlt View Post
Glad to hear! I think I'll buy the Hybrids then, coming from USA but for the price it's a quite good opportunity as dfkt stated.
I received my Sony Hybrid tips this morning, and I'm going to talk a bit about how I feel with them compared to the stock tips. Please don't expect comprehensive review as I'm not good at doing so.

Also took some photographs of it (pardon me for the low quality, I've never been a good photographer & camera is getting old )

Here's the package & it's contents:

Wise advice found on the back of the package:

A look on the stock tips I've been using:

Side by side, Small on top, Medium on Bottom, Hybrids to the right:

And now how the Hybrids look like on the Panas:

Now as for my thoughts regarding these...

Sound
Tried several times with both stock and Hybrid tips, and at first it seemed to me that due to the fact that Hybrids have a smaller nozzle the 'impact' of the sound would be less in my ear drums, but after numerous tries I realized that sound wise, the difference was none or whatsoever. They sound identical, they rock.

Fit & Comfort
Hybrids definitely win on this one, silicon quality is noticeable better and it fits extremely well in my ears (I use Medium tip on the left and Small tip on the right), and as the fit seems better the comfort also improves. They don't seem to fall off so easily as the stock ones.

Isolation
Now as this point it wasn't so easy for me to test, only thing I could to at the time of the experiment would be clapping or anything around that, which made it difficult to notice any difference between both tips; but I believe that with the improved Fit & Comfort these will isolate better. Once I get to try the Hybrids outside I'll make further thoughts compared to the stock tips.

Conclusion
IMO, they are worth the shot as I could get them quite cheap from the USA. Link here for anyone that would be interested, recommended from my side.

Finally, I hope this was useful to anyone who are looking into alternatives to the stock tips.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM

1to3store is a great eBay shop - I bought my Hybrids from there too. Three times cheaper than in Austria, including shipping.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

NIce work and pics I also like the Sony Hybrids quite a lot. tbh, though I kinda like the way the stock Pana tips are fitting for me, with the exception that I think they are a bit smaller in size than others I have tried.

Getting those Vmoda tips today in mail hopefully - will follow up on those as well for the Panas.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-06-2010, 09:48 PM

I am sick of the stock tip.
I was in the library today using the Panas. The person sitting beside me was typing and I could hear the typing sound. I could also hear my own typing. It was slightly annoying because no matter how hard I tried to squeeze the tips (deeper) into my ears, they just won't give me a good seal. Shure black olive was so much better. I could even hear my own typing when I used the black olive on my shure.

Without a good seal, it's hard to truly experience the good things about the Panas. >.< Plus, I don't like it when the typing noises got into my way and I had to turn up the volume to really hear the details I wanted to hear.

I guess it's time to get some Sony Hybrids and give it a try.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM

Dude, these Pana's are awesome. I am really liking them on the Fuze with the Amp. I have tried your suggested settings Lestatar on the EQ. The only modification to the settings you suggest that I have made is the frequency Cutoff values for each of the bands. Here are my current settings, sounds incredible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EQ settings.jpg (41.3 KB, 28 views)

Old 10-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ScottGTO: Fantastic man. Thanks so much for the suggestions in RB - will give it a whirl myself [though tbh, as great as the EQ is under RB, I don't use it much - but easy to save settings though!]

Congrats man. Gorgeous looking ain't they? The cord is a bit short and I wish there was a hard case and more/bigger tips, but those are niggling concerns. The sound is what I ultimately care about. And the sexy, shiny looks.

They will open up even more/sound even better over time - they did for me! Not burn-in as I don't believe in that, but as folks have mentioned, perhaps a settling of the drivers.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-08-2010, 04:28 PM

A little update on my Isolation thoughts with the Sony Hybrid tips:
I got the chance to go out listening to music with these, and I noticed a bit of an improvement on the sound isolation, car's engine seemed more muted than before. Overall it got slightly better.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OK, more tip madness for the Panas.

My 12 pack of large black VModa tips finally arrived today - kinda slow mailing I felt. Used the same place that vision1994 link a ways back here on this thread - find it yourself, i am too lazy. They were mailed in a manila padded standard letter sized envelope and came loose inside the mailer. They could have used a smaller padded envelope and maybe included the tips inside some kind of cheap glassine zip envelope.

Whatever. Reliable company though.

So I decided to post pics of all the tips I have that work with the Panas. Pics first and then my own brief subjective impressions for each and how they fit/feel

Tip order for both pics [all tips are the large/largest size except for Sony which are medium - didn't want to remove them from my VBs]
Panasonic stock
VModa
Hippo VB stock
Sony Hybrid

Just the reverse view of the tip nozzle tubes, same order:

I will say this now: I detect no noticeable change in the overall Pana sound using any of the tips above - I always got a pretty OK seal even with the smaller than normal feeling "large" tips that the Panas came with so my bass response has always been good.

Pana stock eartip: I have no issues with these after 3 weeks of daily, heavy use on the Pana IEMs themselves. Thin, but not as thin to me as the Sony Hybrids. A bit smallish feeling "large" than the others, but I have no problem keeping the IEMs in my ears. Not bad at all IMO after 3 weeks.

VModa eartips: Immediately, I like these. Alot. They are definitely more in line with what I consider "large" tips. The material is a tad thicker I think than the stock Panas and Hybrids. My seal is noticeably better using these - which means that while my seal with the Panas was ok, it could have been better. Also, importantly, these VModas, perhaps by their shorter interior support tube, definitely brings the nozzle sound tube of the Panas closer to the aperture. I can see it clearly with the VModas and can easily detect the IEM grill - whereas with the stock tips, the grill is further recessed from the aperture. The aperture on these VModas is also huge in diameter. All this makes a difference in sound? I don't think so as I didn't detect anything, but I ain't no pro. The fit feels very secure though in truth I am not a crazy active headbanging kind of guy.

Hippo VB stock eartips: The ones I like the least. They are actually a bit more squarish than round like the others. Funny. When I first got the VBs, I liked them a lot as until that point I was only using crappy stock CX300/EP630/Aurvana tips. Then I learned about the Sony Hybrids here from dfkt and others. These are non-starters for both the Panas and my VBs. They are now last ditch emergency replacement tips for my stuff in my eyes.

Sony Hybrids:
These have been my faves, though I have extremely limited experience with this kind of thing. The silicon is condom thin, but the seal I have been getting on my VBs has been superb and I can wear these for days on end. The sound aperture is the narrowest of all the tips. These fit me so good on the VBs that when I remove them, I hear suction in my ears. But oddly, I think the shape of the Pana IEM housing is reducing the Hybrid effectiveness/perfect fit for me that I get with the VBs. My love of the Hybrids is diminished a bit for use on the Panas.

Order of Preference for the Panasonic HJE900:
VModa [though have not used them out in real world NYC noise situations yet]
Panasonic stock eartips
Sony Hybrids
Hippo VBs.

There is one more tip I plan to try - the Super.fi tips that dfkt and so many others seem to love. That's coming at some point.

Also, you notice I don't mention isolation. I don't really care so much. All of the tips, even the stock VB tips did a decent job of closing me off from the outside world. But I am not listening at high volumes anyway, including on busy NYC streets. But all, with some heavy Opeth playing, even on my comparatively low volumes, isolate me well enough that I cannot hear an arm's length snap of my fingers. Best way I can describe this.

Just my own inexpert impressions - tips, I always figured are exactly like IEMs or any subjective thing in life.

YMMV!
cheers,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 10-10-2010 at 10:42 AM. Reason: earwax removal....roflmao...so embarrassing I had to re-shoot...thanks for noticing in IRC WG, dfkt... ;)

Old 10-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm ordering the V-Moda tips now lestatar, thanks.

And BTW: My Cowon J3 now LOVES the Panny's, now that I killed the BBE on the sound effects side.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:23 AM

Once my HJE900 arrives and I am not satisfied with the isolation and the comfort with the stock eartips I might purchase and review a pair if eartips not mentioned yet in this thread yet, the Phonak Audeo silicone eartips. This is if and only if I consider the stock eartips crapola.

Hopefully everything goes well and my $80 will be well spent. This will be my first legit pair of earphones.

By the way, is it normal to check the status of a shipment every 10 minutes?

I can't resist. The wait is sending me to the depths of doom.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Brab: I feel your pain. Good luck with the Panas and hope you enjoy them. IMO, an excellent "first pair of legit earphones."

Please do post back your impressions of the Panas and those Phonak tips if you get them.

cheers,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 AM

Nice sharp macro shots, Lestatar. Seems V-Moda sourced different tips for their Vibes in the meantime. My 1st generation tips sure look different - and thinner. OTOH, who knows what kind of tips those really are, since all those ~5mm tips are interchangeable anyways, and the eBay seller can write anything on his site.

Brab, the PFE tips should certainly fit on the HJE, they have a bit wider inner diameter than the Sony Hybrids.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
OK, more tip madness for the Panas ...
I agree with dfkt, by far the best macro shots I’ve seen you post, keep up the good work. I like your overall descriptions and comparisons to real world are easy to relate to, classic line on the sony hybrids "the silicon is condom thin" ... enjoyed the read

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-09-2010, 08:28 AM

[insert joke about hearing aids]

ETA- To rescue this post from being utterly useless, I'd like to add my voice to the request for one of you audio physics types to explain what difference the diameter of the hole at the 'mouth' of the tip is expected to make to the sound. The Sennheiser ones I'm using at the moment seem significantly wider than the stock ones, and I can't tell any difference, but my ears are distinctly untrained...

Last edited by Confuseling; 10-09-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:12 PM

DFKT awesome review, I am new to the headphone sceen thing...
I bought hje900 , WOW everything about them I love.

My question is if I also purchased the er4s ety's would I see much difference in lets say natural string sounds , even more detail & naturalism? if that makes sense....I listen to a lot of solo cellists , violins etc... i also listen to a waide range from led zep , hip hop , techno, stones , zep .... How much above are these ety'ser4s above the pannies?

Old 10-09-2010, 01:29 PM

The ER-4 don't sound natural at all to me, since they lack bass, have harsh treble, and a narrow in-the-head soundstage. For me they aren't "above" the HJE900 in any aspect. You will only know if you like them if you try them, I can't help you there. They are very polarizing love/hate phones.