android
Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM

Made a straight cable for the TMA-1. Switchcraft angled plug, Neutrik straight plug, Cordial Professional shielded stereo cable, WBT silver solder, two layers of adhesive heat shrink for strain relief.

Interestingly, the stock coiled cable of the TMA-1 measures a resistance of 2.2 Ohm, while my cable measures 0.1 Ohm.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-06-2010, 05:45 PM

For the ignorant, please explain why that's interesting haha. Will one require less power than the other?

Old 10-06-2010, 05:50 PM

It doesn't really matter for listening, there's no audible difference. But a resistance of that magnitude over that short cable length probably means they didn't really use the best cable materials, copper, shielding, etc.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 PM

So the plug that plugs into the headphones themselves is just a regular 3.5mm jack? If so, if I get these, where can I get a better cable with a lower resistance?

I've definitely known my headphones get a hissing noise or other strange noises with my MP3 player charger in which I'm guessing is interference. This would probably remedy that.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

WOW!!! these are really sweet dfkt!!! I can't wait till you give a little more detail on the SQ - but I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Now, my question for the future: How do they compare to the HFI-780's? I'll leave it at that - and danka in advance.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 PM

Hm, do they also sell replacement pads for these dfkt, for once the originals wear out?
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-07-2010, 04:27 AM

JxK The TMA-1 headphones are already available in the USA for as low as $199.00, check Google. Per what they state they come with 2 types of pads for different sound isolation and sig, I could not find the pads sold separately yet but give them time, I’m sure they’ll be available.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 10-07-2010 at 05:55 AM.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:53 AM

The fun never stops... (almost) wireless!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
WOW!!! these are really sweet dfkt!!! I can't wait till you give a little more detail on the SQ - but I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Now, my question for the future: How do they compare to the HFI-780's? I'll leave it at that - and danka in advance.
The TMA-1 sound very good already to my ears, after maybe ~15 hours of playback. They're more balanced than the HFI-780, with a richer, fuller midrange, and a very nice timbre. The HFI have brighter, sparklier treble, and more bass quantity. Dynamics and punch are maybe a bit better on the TMA. Soundstage is about the same on both - Ultrasone's 'S-Logic' stuff never did anything special for me.

The TMA-1 go LOUD. They're probably the most efficient, most sensitive full-sized phones I've ever heard. I run them at the same volume levels as my IEMs on the Clip+. Take that, Beyerdynamic and your marketing blah blah 'Tesla Technology'...

Old 10-07-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
That looks freakin sweet dfkt. Those phones are a minimalists wet dream.

Amp: PA2V2, Fiio E3, FiiO E7, FiiO E5, FiiO E11, FiiO E6, FiiO E10

Old 10-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
*snip*
That is just simply awesome.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:29 AM

It really works well - the Clip+ and the small cable are so light, I don't notice any imbalance on my melon. I can see myself actually using that 80ies-style contraption on the go.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 AM

Found this tidbit in the product description on a site selling in the US...

"The TMA-1 over-ear noise canceling headphones provide an incredible level of audio quality suitable for sound studio use. The AIAIAI TMA-1 headphone has been tested and tweaked by the world's most skilled DJs, designed by Danish design firm KiBiSi and further developed in cooperation with Tartelet Records, Mannhandle, the TMA-1 headphones perform as well as or better than the Beats by Dr. Dre Studio model, but are gentler on your wallet."

Very interested in your final verdict Dfkt.

Stereo: KEF iQ90's, KEF iQ60c, KEF iQ30's, 10" Velodyne

Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks dfkt, I'll start saving my money for them now. And w/a clip+ they go great, but I want this for my J3.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk282 View Post
Found this tidbit in the product description on a site selling in the US...

"The TMA-1 over-ear noise canceling headphones provide an incredible level of audio quality suitable for sound studio use. The AIAIAI TMA-1 headphone has been tested and tweaked by the world's most skilled DJs, designed by Danish design firm KiBiSi and further developed in cooperation with Tartelet Records, Mannhandle, the TMA-1 headphones perform as well as or better than the Beats by Dr. Dre Studio model, but are gentler on your wallet."

Very interested in your final verdict Dfkt.
I didn't even have to read as far as the Prof. Dr. Dre, MD, PhD bullshit... them calling the TMA-1 "noise canceling" and "suitable for sound studio use" shows their level of expertise already quite well.

The TMA-1 are on the level of quality professional gear, such as the HD25, DT770 - they're way above pop star endorsed Skullcandy-for-bigger-wallets crap.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Whats that sound I hear? Must be the death knell for my HD 25 SP's. I´ve gotta keep an eye out for these.

*Edit* although I am not a big fan of that rubbery finnish stuff. I've had some bad run ins with everything that has a similar finnish and it eventually peeling off. Still even without it they'd probably look pretty good.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:55 AM

As far as clamping and isolation goes, they're probably on par with the HD 25-SP (judging from faint memory, two years back when I last tried the SP) - they clamp way less than the HD 25-1.

Can't of course say anything about the plastic/rubber durability, but it looks fine to me so far.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 AM

It'd be almost like an eerie art film if I started seeing everyone with that clip/TMA settup on the bus haha. Looks convenient... Would get it and the clip if I had money to burn

Old 10-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

dfkt, that is simply awesome. So cool. !

But when you change tracks does it look like you scratching your head constantly?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-07-2010, 01:32 PM

Nah, I just headbutt the nearest wall.