android
Old 07-09-2010, 11:31 PM

Default Cowon J3 protective sheet for back: "flaps" no longer adhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraffiinbrain View Post
Fold over the edges. Curse when the edges seem to unstick permanently. Celebrate when you realise the edges peeling off are a hard cover layer that's meant to come off. Pull this off carefully, and a thinner layer is now protecting the back.
Ok... I'm confused here.

When I attached that back sheet earlier today there was adhesive on those flaps, and they all seemed to adhere to the edges of the player.

By this evening, almost all of both the long-edges had un-stuck, just as you described above. The short edge at the top of the player is still nicely adhered.

I don't follow what you say I'm now supposed to do. Are you saying that somehow these un-stuck flaps are also multi-layer, and that I am supposed to now peel them apart and discard what will come off in my hand... which is somehow just a layer on these flaps? And the rest of the sheet covering the back (like 99% of it) will remain behind?

I don't want to do any permanent damage to this back sheet layer.

Can you please clarify what needs to be done to these un-stuck side flaps.

These flaps did originally have adhesive stickiness to them, and did stick to the side edges of the player. But both flaps of plastic on the long side edges have now un-stuck and "aged" so that there is now zero adhesive residue on them. They're now just laying out flat.

So what do I do? There's no more stickiness left, so they're never going to re-attach to the edges of the player. So why were they manufactured as flaps in the first place?

The back is still attached firmly to the player, but the top edge now seems to slowly losing its grip. I'm sure in another day or two it will also come un-stuck completely with all adhesive glue gone.

Do I just razor off these flaps and be done with it, hoping that the back surface remains stuck on the player? Or is there some other care and feeding I should have followed?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-10-2010, 01:29 AM

You've reached the 'curse' stage. Maddening isn't it? Those stupid flaps were sticky but aren't any more...

But if you look closely under the flaps, there IS a film still covering the sides, and you slowly realise that the stupid hard plastic flaps are part of a disposable film. So just peel this whole thick top film off - not just the flaps but the whole single piece. Leaving the 'real' protective film still attached to the back...

What you end up with is not a thick film on the back, but a thinner softer one.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraffiinbrain View Post
You've reached the 'curse' stage. Maddening isn't it? Those stupid flaps were sticky but aren't any more...

But if you look closely under the flaps, there IS a film still covering the sides, and you slowly realise that the stupid hard plastic flaps are part of a disposable film. So just peel this whole thick top film off - not just the flaps but the whole single piece. Leaving the 'real' protective film still attached to the back...

What you end up with is not a thick film on the back, but a thinner softer one.
YOU ARE A F**'N GENIUS!!

Did you hear me screaming and laughing out here in LA???

It is EXACTLY as you described!!! Sure enough, when I looked very closely at the edges and rubbed my finger over the edge, sure enough there was actually a thin shiny plastic sheet layer still adhered there... obviously having separated from the "outer shell" protection plastic layer of the flaps. And of course, this is only the first stage of the "aging" of the total various adhesive materials keeping these various layers together initially. These flaps were simply the first to go, because of their "stress" being curved around the edge they wanted to return to their flat position.

I had to actually do a little "tearing" holding one of the flaps, and sure enough suddenly it began to peel away from the much thinner smooth under-surface which was absolutely still firmly and perfectly adhered to the back and edges of the player. I then completed the tearing, finally removing that entire hard plastic layer started by holding on to the flap and tearing. And the underneath template of thin smooth shiny plastic that actually has that adhesive layer of course still fits perfectly around all buttons and holes and cutouts, as it should. And presumably (and hopefully) it will never lose its adhesiveness.

So now I have my J3 effectively encased in its new "carbonite" protective layer! Even more fantastic, the final under-layer that covers the back seems to have anti-static anti-grease anti-fingerprint characteristics, making it impervious to everything which might drive you crazy.

And, as I said yesterday, once you taught me how the front LCD screen protector layer gets applied (and I squeegeed it not with that dumb cardboard they enclosed, but rather with a soft 100% cotton T-shirt), it is actually 100% physically invisible... looking exactly like the true glass underneath. Except that, just like with the "carbonite" layer now on the back, you can put your fingers all over it and do whatever you want to it... and it all wipes away instantly (with a 100% cotton T-shirt, of course) and comes out still looking like a rose.

Now, Cowon... do you really think that your "instructions" provided via inscrutable "micro-graphics" and Korean characters (think "The Fifth Element") made virtually unreadable by printing in seemingly invisible ink on a tiny postage stamp sized card is at all helpful to users?

Just look back at how many words we exchanged during this "class", while one step at a time I little by little gradually understood what you were saying, and which as I do the post-mortem almost kinda looks like what Cowon was probably trying to get across in their wordless graphic instructions and pictures.

Anyway, I'm now home free. Case closed. The J3 actually still looks pretty absolutely gorgeous in its new protective layer, and the amazing anti-everything molecular properties of that final layer on the back is truly astonishing. Plus, it has an amazing anti-slip high-friction property, so that when you put it on a table you can't move it!!!

Can't thank you enough for your responses, and for the clarity of your responses.

Hopefully this thread will help others who enter the same "cave of mystery" on this topic.

case closed.

Last edited by DSperber; 07-10-2010 at 02:00 AM.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 AM

Just in passing...

I'm about to go through this whole "encase the J3 in Carbonite" process one more time. I had to RMA my original J3 to Cowon because the clock stopped working when the J3 was powered on, although the clock started working normally as soon as the J3 was powered off!!

Anyway, because the original J3 was sent to them imbedded inside of the Cowon leather case (which has three stiff metal prongs that hold the player securely) and I simply could not remove the player to send just it to them, it turns out that Cowon too was unable to remove it cleanly in order to examine it for its problem. So they obviously had to destroy the leather case (i.e. prongs) in the process.

Hence, they returned to me not only a brand new J3, but also a new leather case and a new LCD+body protective plastic sheet kit (as I'd applied to my problem J3).

I've been putting off going through this whole prophylactic process again since it was so mind-numbing originally, but will get to it this week.

Anyway, thanks to the patient guidance and insightful tips provided by paraffiinbrain when I was first struggling with this very basic (but challenging, the first time you do it) task, I'm sure that this second repeat performance will go quickly and smoothly.

Also... this time I will NOT use a 100% cotton T-shirt rag to wipe away fingerprints and smudges on the glass shield sheet. I will instead only use a spare microfiber cloth normally used to clean my eyeglasses, as their composition absolutely guarantees them to not scuff or scratch any surface they are used to clean... something which unfortunately eventually happened on my original plastic protective sheet when using the 100% cotton cloth approach that I falsely thought was "safe".

Thanks again for your help back then. I have learned.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 AM

Glad it was useful - and it made me feel better that I wasn't just being dumb.

Once I did get an A3 screen protector which had the holes cut in it the wrong way, so it really was physically impossible to attach it sticky side down. I spent a *long* time trying to make that work before I gave up, and at least it really was defective.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Hey could you guys post a picture of your J3 as I think I have buggered the back film I have removed the bit you were talking about but it just looks white in some spots like theres small air bubbles trapped.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:11 PM

Mine had a couple of awfully big bubbles on the back film which I cursed about, but they cleared after a week or so. Not sure a pic would show much as it's just shiny & black now.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I'm about to go through this whole "encase the J3 in Carbonite" process one more time. I had to RMA my original J3 to Cowon

Anyway, because the original J3 was sent to them imbedded inside of the Cowon leather case (which has three stiff metal prongs that hold the player securely) and I simply could not remove the player to send just it to them, it turns out that Cowon too was unable to remove it cleanly in order to examine it for its problem. So they obviously had to destroy the leather case (i.e. prongs) in the process.

Hence, they returned to me not only a brand new J3, but also a new leather case and a new LCD+body protective plastic sheet kit (as I'd applied to my problem J3).
Ok. Finally got around to doing this last night.

The application of the front LCD protective sheet went quickly this time, and without a problem. I also used a micro-fiber cloth (for cleaning my eyeglasses) instead of a 100% cotton cloth, to push out the air bubbles and flatten out the sheet completely, once it was applied. No scuffs or scratches resulted from using this micro-fiber cloth, so I was very happy. And there are no bubbles under the plastic.

Interestingly, Cowon had sent me the LCD+body kit but I had to take the replacement "new" J3 they'd sent me back down to them for a second exchange, because their replacement wasn't actually "new" in my opinion. There were about 12 scratches and scuffs on the screen, and this was simply unacceptable. So when I drove down there for this second exchange, the guy who brought me out the new replacement also gave me an LCD sheet as well (even though I didn't really need it).

Well last night I decided I would use the front plastic sheet from this LCD-only item he'd given me, and keep the LCD+body kit for some future use if it ever became necessary. Curiously, the LCD-only kit does not contain that little "smile" plastic protector for the brushed metal portion of the front of the J3 below the screen (when held in portrait mode). I didn't know that, because I'd used the LCD+body kit the last time and DID have the "smile" plastic in that one.

Furthermore, I decided NOT to go into my LCD+body kit for that "smile", because I really do like the way the brushed metal area looks. I actually was sorry the last time I did this after applying the plastic "smile" protector, as it kind of ruined the elegant look of the J3's front design.

Finally, I also decided NOT to apply the protective plastic body sheet (with the infamous "flaps") to the back of the J3. Since I was going to insert the J3 into the Cowon leather case anyway, why would I need the protective plastic on the back?

So once I got the front sheet applied and flattened out, I simply put the J3 into the new leather case Cowon had also sent me. And remarkably (or maybe not so remarkably), this time the J3 went in fairly easily and with no fighting or extra pressure involved like last time. It's still snug and secure, but reasonably so this time instead of impossibly snug like last time.

I'm guessing that just those few "microns" of extra width added to the body's external dimensions by the application of the thin, but non-zero, protective body plastic sheet makes all the difference. Obviously the three metal prongs on the Cowon case are machined to perfectly grasp (without excessive pressure) the "naked" J3. I suspect I could actually get the J3 out of the case now, if I wanted to or needed to, without destroying anything (as Cowon had to do last time when trying to repair my RMA'd J3).

If I wasn't using the leather case I would have applied the plastic body sheet. But given what I learned last time, I must say that if you plan to use the Cowon leather case for your J3 then do NOT apply the body plastic sheet.