android
Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 AM

Default Playing Contour HD video's on the Cowon J3

Hi,

I am almost ready to buy a Cowon J3 but there is one last thing that I need get get confirmed.... I am also considering buying a ContourHD helmet cam, this has no screen so I was hoping that I could simply slot the MicroSD card into the J3 and watch the video's on there.

The ContourHD saves video's using a H.264 format with a .mov extension. I know that this is not on the official list of supported formats but I have read a number of reports that says they can be played. In Windows I can rename the file to a .avi and it still plays not sure if that trick can be used if the J3 rejects the file based on the extension.

I have posted a sample clip here:

www.3friends.co.uk/mp3

If anyone is able to test it for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Railton.

Last edited by Railton; 10-06-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-06-2010, 08:44 AM

extensions per se don't matter at all, the programm/software/hardware, will recognize the actual file format and determines whether it's able... or not, to play the file (at least "intelligent" software/hardware does).

the J3 is indeed able to play h.264 files, BUT only if its encoded in a specific configuration or rather profile

this is from the stickied thread from this here Cowon J3 sub-forum (and taken from the S9 sub-forum).
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56633

"It is important to set the options as I have shown above, else the resulting video may not be compatible. Levels lower than 2.2 may work, but these restrict the video resolution, so it is recommended that you stick with 2.2. The BaseLine profile MUST be used, as the S9 does not support CABAC, and the number of reference frames must be set to 1."

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 AM

I suspect that the resolution is also going to be a problem. I don't own a Cowon but I don't think any of them can play a 1920x1080 file.

Maybe take a look at Ainol or one of the Archos tablets?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks deadohiosky for the quick response. I did read through the H264 thread but I need to be able to review the video without running it though a converter because I will be on the ski slopes and want to plug the SD card in to review the footage.

This is why I was hoping someone could try the file on the link I posted

Railton.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 AM

no, no that's not what i meant. i know you can't convert it on the fly: i just wanted to point out that the cowon J3 will only "read" h.264 with said baseline profile and apparently a certain resolution, as brett_vall also pointed out.

also from the thread:

"Whilst level 2.2 does allow videos of a higher resolution than the screen of the S9 (480x272), I have no success so far with videos larger than this size. I *assume* this means that it does not support videos bigger than this, but I may be wrong. If it does not, then it would be bad news for people who like to use the S9 for TV-out.

There will also be a limitation on the maximum bit rate that can be used, as with all videos. So far, I have not found this so I believe that it is quite high."

as long as the cam doesn't support or record in this profile (which i highly doubt) you will need to look for another device.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Ok, makes sense.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to try

Old 10-06-2010, 09:51 AM

well, i have neither the s9 nor the J3 (yet), so i can't help you there, BUT i dl the file and had a look at the profile and it's not going to work. it has a the "Main" profile and also CABAC enabled, both of which are unfortunately not supported.

so i think you need to look out for another device (and i don't know whether ainol and other chinese players are able to play "these" h.264) or you find a way to change the profile, but i guess that's not what you want (as it likely results in worse bitrate and quality, though i have not much clue about h.264).