My laptop won't install my ZVW 60GB.

When i connect the device i get a popup saying;

Zen Vision W
then
MTP Device
then
Zen Vision W

then opens found new hardware wizzard - MTP device
'an error occured during the installation of this device, the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.'

tried going to the creative site and looking for the driver, jut tells me to download media source and all that software, which i couldn't do because it couldn't find the device. so i use the installation CD from my old vision:M (can't find the disk for the vision:w). I've uninstalled media player 11 and reinstalled it and nothing seems to work.

it finds it in device manager but won't find a driver for it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You don't need any drivers - you just need to upgrade to Windows Media Player 11 (or 10). I hope you run Windows XP or Vista, because those are the only operating systems that work somewhat hassle-free with MTP devices.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:49 PM

I was running vista - didn't work. Decided vista was too much hastle and went back to XP, so i'm using a clean install of XP at the moment - not working. i've used the 'fixes' on the creative site to supposedly get mtps working, i've uninstalled media player and reinstalled it (mp11).

nothings workng.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:20 AM

Anyone got any suggestions why it isn't working, can't get access at all to my player. so i can't update firmware or anything.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Vista would be best. MTP compatibility is native to Vista. So it doesn't require installing any additional software. You should have just been able to plug in the ZVW after installing and it should have shown as a Portable Device under My Computer or detectable in WMP11.

As for WinXP, You need to make sure WMP10 or WMP11 is installed. The Windows Media Framework/MTP get installed to Windows XP when you install WMP10 or 11, bringing it up to MTP compliancy. If you ever have any driver/detection problems when using WinXP with MTP devices, make sure that no Creative software is installed and then install or reinstall WMP10 or 11. If you ever uninstall WMP11 to try and revert back to WMP10, you also need to make sure that you have the WMP11 Runtimes uninstalled as well. They show up on the Add/Remove Programs list as a separate entry. You may need to select the box to Show Updates in order to it. You can also try following this MS KB article to uninstall WMP11.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-21-2008, 03:10 PM

i've uninstalled media player and all the creative stuff, resterted - re-installed media player 11 and connected my ZVW and it did the same thing it always does.

I've tried connecting it to my girlfriends laptop and it works perfectly - just plug and play.

i've installed all the updates for media player as recommended for the 'xp fix' on the creative website and it still isn't recognised.

when i plug the player in, it tries to look for and install the driver every time and doesn't work.

`Found new hardware Creative ZEN vision W
`Found new hardware MTP
`Found new hardware Creative ZEN vision W

pops up
`Welcome to the new hardware wizzard can windows connect to Windows Update to search for new software?
Yes, this time only
yes, now and every time i connect a device
no, not at this time

This wizzard helps you install software for:
MTP Device

Install the software automatically (Recommended)
Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)

Cannot Install this Hardware
there was a problem installing this hardware:
MTP Device
An error occurred during the installation of the device
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Device manager:
Portable Devices
¬Creative ZEN Vision W (!)
Details :
Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18)
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver

---and then back to the start.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What happens if you try to reinstall the driver?

1. With the Zen connected, in Device Manager, expand the Potable Device category.
2. Right click on the Creative Zen W listing and slect the Uninstall from the menu.
3. Once it is uninstalled, disconnect the Zen from the USB port.
4. Wait a minute, then plug it back in and take note in Device Manager that it refreshes and reloads the driver properly.
5. Once it reloads the driver properly, open My Computer and see if it shows correctly.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-21-2008, 03:25 PM

When i uninstall fron device manager, the 'portable devices' option dissapears from the list, the whole list refreshes. then i remove the usb connector and the list refreshes, i wait, reconnect it and then it cycles through the process i detailed above, and it now says, 'the device is not configured correctly (Code 1)'.

if i update the firmware on the player will that make any difference? i can use my girlfriends laptop to configure it.

Last edited by BobbyRS; 10-21-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenz View Post
When i uninstall fron device manager, the 'portable devices' option dissapears from the list, the whole list refreshes. then i remove the usb connector and the list refreshes, i wait, reconnect it and then it cycles through the process i detailed above, and it now says, 'the device is not configured correctly (Code 1)'.
This is saying that Windows does not have the driver or MTP installed correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenz View Post
if i update the firmware on the player will that make any difference? i can use my girlfriends laptop to configure it.
No. The problem is with the computer and not the ZVW. You said yourself you tried another computer and it worked just fine.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-21-2008, 03:53 PM

I'm trying to install the driver or MTP configuration, thats what i've been trying to do from the start. i've uninstalled and reinstalled media player and all its components countless times, tried all combinations, tried media player 10, 11, no updates, all updates. Nothing seems to be working?

i've switched off the computers antivirus and firewall, but nothing is changing the way the computer treats the player.

i've connected my Zen stone and it's working fine, i know it registers as a disk drive instead of MTP but in media player 11 it finds it to sync. with. - suggesting that media player is working.

Is there a way to manually download the framework/driver and select it from a list rather than relying on automatic installation?

Last edited by BobbyRS; 10-22-2008 at 05:53 PM.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Installing the MTP driver or trying to force it will not work correctly if MTP is not installed and working correctly. So, even though you may have the right driver, it won't load without error.

Yeah, the Zen Stone isn't an MTP device, so it doesn't connect and load the same way. WMP functioning as a Media Player also can't really be used to determine if MTP is working correctly or not either since it can function as a media player independently.

Try this:

User-Mode Driver Framework

Download and try. If it still doesn't work, then try reinstalling WMP10 afterwards.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-22-2009, 12:13 PM

Hi, I just wanted to pick up where he left off. I'm having the exact same problem with my Zen Vision:M. I've been through all of the same steps and I'm not sure if your last post fixed the problem for him but it didn't for me. I apparently already have a newer version of User Mode Driver Framework and had no joy in trying to find the newer one to get rid of it and install this version just in case that might've fixed it.

The WMP 10 installer declares that it's not meant for my OS and closes down before doing anything even though it clearly says on the ms download page that it's for xp.

This is really doing my head in. I've been around the houses on it and gotten nowhere. I recall having the same problem after my last xp install but can't for the life of me remember how I got around it.

I appreciate any help you can throw my way.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, if you have a newer vesion, then the one above won't install, which is why you may need to uninstall WMP11 all the way back to either WMP10 or before to get it to install. If WMP10 won't install, make sure you are using the correct version for the OS you are running and make sure that the WMP11 Runtimes are not installed. See the KB article posted above in post 5.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Default Finally! A solution that worked

Hello,

I had the same problem.

First, the background-

I installed Windows XP onto a laptop, the XP had SP3 & WMP11 integrated on the cd.

I then tried to get my Creative Zen 4GB to connect - and ran into the same problem. While installing the driver, it detected the MTP driver, and then the "New Hardware Wizard" popped up and failed with the error:

Code:
There was a problem installing this hardware: MTP Device 

An error occurred during the installation of the device. 

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
I tried a load of different things to try and resolve, Reverting to WMP10, Copying the MTP driver from a working PC etc etc etc to no avail.

The solution, I finally discovered was to do with the UMDF (User Mode Driver Framework) service. It comes with WMP11, and installs during the setup.

Looking at the UDMF installation logs (c:\windows\Wudf01000Inst.log) - I found that there were errors during installation - I figured that re-installing UMDF might fix the problem. (and it did!) Unfortunatly, as it is not in add/remove programs, I ran into problems trying to remove it. If you un-install WMP11, it does not remove the UMDF dll's. If the dll's exist, then the UMDF installer will skip during the re-install of WMP11.

I managed to manually re-install UMDF using the method below.

To find the installer files for UMDF, you need to get them out of the WMP11 Installer.

Code:
How to find the installer for UMDF

1) Run the WMP11 Setup file "wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu"
(It will extract the installer files into your %TEMP% folder)

2) Click Start -> Run -> %temp%
3) Press F3 and search for "umdf.exe"
4) Copy this file to your Desktop 
5) Cancel the WMP11 Setup.
Now, you need to fool windows into thinking that UMDF is not installed on your computer, by renaming some files. Copy & Paste the following into a Command Prompt.

Code:
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wudfrd.sys den_wudfrd.sys
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wudfpf.sys den_wudfpf.sys
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfhost.exe den_wudfhost.exe
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfsvc.dll den_wudfsvc.dll
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfx.dll den_wudfx.dll
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfplatform.dll den_wudfplatform.dll
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfcoinstaller.dll den_wudfcoinstaller.dll
Now run the umdf.exe and re-install.

Spent hours trying to fix this, and finally managed to get it working.

Hope it works out for ya, if it does, let me know!

Denis

Old 04-20-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis_mc_auliffe_ie View Post
Hello,

I had the same problem.

First, the background-

I installed Windows XP onto a laptop, the XP had SP3 & WMP11 integrated on the cd.

I then tried to get my Creative Zen 4GB to connect - and ran into the same problem. While installing the driver, it detected the MTP driver, and then the "New Hardware Wizard" popped up and failed with the error:

Code:
There was a problem installing this hardware: MTP Device 

An error occurred during the installation of the device. 

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
I tried a load of different things to try and resolve, Reverting to WMP10, Copying the MTP driver from a working PC etc etc etc to no avail.

The solution, I finally discovered was to do with the UMDF (User Mode Driver Framework) service. It comes with WMP11, and installs during the setup.

Looking at the UDMF installation logs (c:\windows\Wudf01000Inst.log) - I found that there were errors during installation - I figured that re-installing UMDF might fix the problem. (and it did!) Unfortunatly, as it is not in add/remove programs, I ran into problems trying to remove it. If you un-install WMP11, it does not remove the UMDF dll's. If the dll's exist, then the UMDF installer will skip during the re-install of WMP11.

I managed to manually re-install UMDF using the method below.

To find the installer files for UMDF, you need to get them out of the WMP11 Installer.

Code:
How to find the installer for UMDF

1) Run the WMP11 Setup file "wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu"
(It will extract the installer files into your %TEMP% folder)

2) Click Start -> Run -> %temp%
3) Press F3 and search for "umdf.exe"
4) Copy this file to your Desktop 
5) Cancel the WMP11 Setup.
Now, you need to fool windows into thinking that UMDF is not installed on your computer, by renaming some files. Copy & Paste the following into a Command Prompt.

Code:
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wudfrd.sys den_wudfrd.sys
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wudfpf.sys den_wudfpf.sys
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfhost.exe den_wudfhost.exe
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfsvc.dll den_wudfsvc.dll
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfx.dll den_wudfx.dll
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfplatform.dll den_wudfplatform.dll
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfcoinstaller.dll den_wudfcoinstaller.dll
Now run the umdf.exe and re-install.

Spent hours trying to fix this, and finally managed to get it working.

Hope it works out for ya, if it does, let me know!

Denis

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!

Finally I can use my creative zen with MY computer instead of using other computers and redicilous ways of transferring things. I fucking LOVE you man. This shit needs to be sent in an email to everyone in the world, cause it was driving me insane.

1 BILLION THANKS

- PS i skipped the renaming part and it still worked, and also could not find that error log.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:06 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread but the method Denis gives worked perfectly after trying everything else under the sun for my ZVM. Yay!!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:15 PM

Talking

happy days! Tis great to come back to an old thread and see that every so often someone comes across it and it helps them out -

I was trying to fix that for AGES - drove me completely insane trying to figure it out.

Glad it worked out for ye!

D

Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 AM

Default Worked for me as well - wow thanks heaps.

Fantastic.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:01 AM

hai,
when i reload firwware to my zen vision w, the computer said reload failed,
then i disconnected the zvw, now i can not start my zvw including recovery mode too..
when i turn on, it simply displayed "craetive",,,, Nothing happened,,
any one have the solutioin?????????