android
Old 10-06-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
Don't copy the music from the player back to the pc. Format the player using its menu, and then copy the original mp3 files(not ones that were on your player) to your player.
Um, didn't I just say I did NOT do that!?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-06-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
First, I don't have a CLIP+, but I do have a FUZE. Here is the test that I performed

0. Starting with Fuze in MSC Mode connected to an XP laptop
1. drag & drop folder called TEST containing two songs to Fuze MUSIC directory
2. disconnect Fuze - find & play both songs in TEST successfully
3. change to MTP mode
4. find & play both songs in TEST successfully
5. plug Fuze in MTP mode into PC
6. cannot find TEST folder from PC
7. drag & drop folder called TEST2 containing two songs to Fuze MUSIC directory
8. disconnect Fuze - find and play MTP\MUSIC\TEST2 directory
9. find and play MUSIC\TEST directory successfully

It would be interesting to see the results of the same test on a CLIP+. Obviously the CLIP+ and FUZE are different beasts, so maybe there is a difference in how folders are created.

Steve
All of the folders that I loaded are there, and all the music plays perfectly. The problem is how folder names appear in the menu. With the long numbers in front of them, they are out of order and it sit is very difficult and tedious to read them. The song names appear fine (with no numbers in front of them.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridr View Post
All of the folders that I loaded are there, and all the music plays perfectly. The problem is how folder names appear in the menu. With the long numbers in front of them, they are out of order and it sit is very difficult and tedious to read them. The song names appear fine (with no numbers in front of them.
Perhaps it's not obvious from my post. On the Fuze, the folder names are as expected, ie without additional names. I was hoping somebody would perform a similar test on the Clip+. But there are very few Clip+ owners due to the newness of the product, and presumably none of those have the time/interest.

Steve

Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you sure the player is in MSC mode? I had the problem you are experiencing when I used my Fuze in MTP mode. I also have a Clip+, however I never used my Clip+ in MTP mode, and I never experienced the problem with it. Try formatting the player again using the player menu, and turn off the player then turn it back on before loading any music on it. I would also recommend reloading the firmware, however I don't think the firmware is available yet online for downloading.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:24 AM

Try it on another computer or a different user on your computer. It is possible that some application has gotten it's hooks into file transfer. It could be a virus or it could be just some random app you installed.
If that doesn't work and you bought it in a retail store I'd say return it as bad. You have gone above and beyond what a "normal" customer should be expected to do for troubleshooting.
If you bought it online see how much shipping will cost ya before you RMA it.
Zune 30GB (white-unfortunately)
Sennheiser CX300 and CXL400 lanyard headphones

Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbatt View Post
... ...
If you bought it online see how much shipping will cost ya before you RMA it.
Shipping is free with RMA from SanDisk, been there, done that

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-07-2009, 03:48 PM

I tried reloading everything last night and the problem is fixed. The way I tried to fix it previously had a one major flaw because n resetting to factory default settings, I'd reset the player back to "autodetect mode."

Here is what worked for me:

1. Reformat the player using the command in the player's settings.
2. Reset to default factory settings.
3. Turn player off and on again. (I don't know if this is necessary, but that's what I did.)
4. Switch player to MSC mode. -< IMPORTANT
5. Plug player into computer with USB cable.
6. Copy and paste the folders containing music on my hard frive into "Music" folder using Windows Explorerer.

It now works perfectly, with no numbers in front of the file names.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread and tried to help me. I hope this will be of use to other people who encounter this problem.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Yep, "auto detect" is not MSC when you have WMP10/11 installed... I thought so much was clear since everyone told you to use MSC mode.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:06 PM

Yeah, my bad. In my defense, I DID Set the player to MSC prior to reloading the music, but then when I reset to factory default, that changed the setting back to auto-detect.

One thing that we've learned from this is clear, and that is that you can't just reset the player to MSC and expect it to work. You have to reload everything with the player set to MSC.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

MTP mode can be a dangerous thing ... I stay away from it like the plague ...

Old 10-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
One thing that we've learned from this is clear, and that is that you can't just reset the player to MSC and expect it to work. You have to reload everything with the player set to MSC.
Many of us knew that, but I guess we didn't explain it in a way that you understood.

Steve

Old 10-07-2009, 06:40 PM

Here's more about the "fun" that is MTP: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...read.php?t=495

For each problem it solves, it creates a dozen new ones.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Yeah, my bad. In my defense, I DID Set the player to MSC prior to reloading the music, but then when I reset to factory default, that changed the setting back to auto-detect.

Resetting the player to factory default always sets the mode back to auto-detect, also noticed that on my origional version clips, they go to auto detect every time after FW upgrades or reflashing rockbox, you can tell on my pc by the connection icon, so I set it back to MSC.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 AM

I've find the solution for this problem.

We want to use MTP mode because this is the only mode that allows drag and drop to the external uSD card in the Sansa. In MSP mode the Sansa appears as mapped drive in Windows explorer, but the external uSD card does not show up.

I found the problem by looking at the folders that it had corrupted the folder name for. I noticed that it only seemed to be th elonger ones. After a few experiments I have found that the maximum folder name length is 28 characters. If it is any longer than this then the Sansa will prefix the name with an 8 digit hexadecimal string followed by a hyphen followed by the next few characters of the folder name.

The problem only happens when dragging folders onto the external uSD card, not for the internal FLASH of the Sansa.

I tried renaming the folders to shorter names on the Sansa drive in-situ (via Windows Explorer) but that didn't work.

First you must delete all the folders that this has happened to on the Sansa. Next rename these folders on your Windows PC so they have a maximum of 28 characters. I chopped off the end and placed a '-' at the end to indicate they had been shortened.

For example, a folder called "Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy" was renamed to "Jesus & Mary Chain - Psycho-"

Next drag these shorter folders over to the "external uSD card" folder of the Sansa. Note that the "corruption" of the folder names doesn't occur when the folders are dragged over, but when the Sansa does the "Refreshing your media" process when you disconnect it. Luckily the filenames within folders are not affected.

That should solve your problem!

I don't know if this is a bug in the Sansa, or a consequence of MTP mode. I suspect the former since dragging to the internal memory works fine, and the corruption only occurs AFTER the dragging operation.

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I tried reloading everything last night and the problem is fixed. The way I tried to fix it previously had a one major flaw because n resetting to factory default settings, I'd reset the player back to "autodetect mode."

Here is what worked for me:

1. Reformat the player using the command in the player's settings.
2. Reset to default factory settings.
3. Turn player off and on again. (I don't know if this is necessary, but that's what I did.)
4. Switch player to MSC mode. -< IMPORTANT
5. Plug player into computer with USB cable.
6. Copy and paste the folders containing music on my hard frive into "Music" folder using Windows Explorerer.

It now works perfectly, with no numbers in front of the file names.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread and tried to help me. I hope this will be of use to other people who encounter this problem.
It always does work with the internal drive's "MUSIC" folder - the problem occurs only with the "external uSD card" drive. The solution I posted above gets around the problem.

cheers,
paul

Tags
bug, file/folder browsing, folder browsing, numbers