android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowonFTW View Post
Hey,

The right angle SA6 cord works a treat. The straight pins would have the same issues as the Panasonic cord, well, minus the short length. I'm wearing them with the SA6 cord now, I posted this in the Owner's group section because this thread is becoming endless.

Satellite_6 pondered:
Highly improbable. I returned S4s to J&R and got these. I literally listened to them back-to-back. To me, I'd swear the Image S4s are entry-level rebranded UEs, but with a bassier mold. They are pretty good, but they don't really do anything exceptionally well. For me. Very responsive, but relaxed. I prefer energetic, analytical gear. I want to feel the cymbal shave a 1/16" splinter (exactly 1/16"!) off a drum stick. The music? It;s secondary to dissecting the recording for microdynamics. :^)

If I had to give a micro-review on the spot, I'd say it's these HJE900s are more like a circumaural than an IEM. dfkt said as much. They're punchy, they're dynamic alright--; almost forceful in their voicing. Their ability to resolve microdynamics is what makes them worth figuring out how to calm the sibilance or rig up a new cord. I guess they're like a Grado product. Perhaps an SR225. That's it. It's an SR225 in IEM form. Punchy, airy, detailed, a presence that puts you there, but with a whole set of quirks like the sibilance and the short cord ... and it's destined to be a phone that people either love, or hate. The Grado analogy fits.

I've certainly spent more to get less.
Gah my internet sucks atm. I'll take your guy's word for it then.

I think these 'phones are too good to sell but too flawed to keep. I like them but I don't love them. If I do keep them I really need a specific recommendation for tips that will allow me to really shove these deep in my ears so they don't fall out, along with a method to make the cable longer, and also a way tame the highs (I'll try foam I guess) . . . .