android
Old 09-25-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowonFTW View Post
Hey,

The right angle SA6 cord works a treat. The straight pins would have the same issues as the Panasonic cord, well, minus the short length. I'm wearing them with the SA6 cord now, I posted this in the Owner's group section because this thread is becoming endless.

Satellite_6 pondered:
Highly improbable. I returned S4s to J&R and got these. I literally listened to them back-to-back. To me, I'd swear the Image S4s are entry-level rebranded UEs, but with a bassier mold. They are pretty good, but they don't really do anything exceptionally well. For me. Very responsive, but relaxed. I prefer energetic, analytical gear. I want to feel the cymbal shave a 1/16" splinter (exactly 1/16"!) off a drum stick. The music? It;s secondary to dissecting the recording for microdynamics. :^)

If I had to give a micro-review on the spot, I'd say it's these HJE900s are more like a circumaural than an IEM. dfkt said as much. They're punchy, they're dynamic alright--; almost forceful in their voicing. Their ability to resolve microdynamics is what makes them worth figuring out how to calm the sibilance or rig up a new cord. I guess they're like a Grado product. Perhaps an SR225. That's it. It's an SR225 in IEM form. Punchy, airy, detailed, a presence that puts you there, but with a whole set of quirks like the sibilance and the short cord ... and it's destined to be a phone that people either love, or hate. The Grado analogy fits.

I've certainly spent more to get less.
Gah my internet sucks atm. I'll take your guy's word for it then.

I think these 'phones are too good to sell but too flawed to keep. I like them but I don't love them. If I do keep them I really need a specific recommendation for tips that will allow me to really shove these deep in my ears so they don't fall out, along with a method to make the cable longer, and also a way tame the highs (I'll try foam I guess) . . . .

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-25-2010, 03:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@TDS: Yeah, I now have all DAPs using no EQ with the Panas [easy with Rockbox and sound.cfg files ain't it?] lol Still lovin them, still clinking them together every chance i get

Alon93 and others: Thanks about the SleekAudio cables, especially the straight plug ones.

@CowonFTW: Really? You find no issue with comfort/fit using the right angle SA cables? From the pics I am sure it would drive me batty, especially since I only wear my IEMs in the conventional down manner - I wear glasses and find the over ear method annoying to me.

Great description of these terrific IEMs. Certainly not the FOTM in my eyes. I shoulda got em sooner, like when they first came out [the packaging was much fancy/schmancier initially - check Headfi for the review threads/pics].

Very interesting comments on your preference for crisp cymbals - love the drumstick example For me, as a hack guitar player, I am totally loving all the subtle stuff my fave players do on guitar, which I can now hear quite well. Actual pick clicks against strings and, like your cymbal example, harmonics [natural and artificial] that ring forever until they begin to tail off into glorious feedback...

Satriani has never sounded btter to me.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
Gah my internet sucks atm. I'll take your guy's word for it then.

I think these 'phones are too good to sell but too flawed to keep. I like them but I don't love them. If I do keep them I really need a specific recommendation for tips that will allow me to really shove these deep in my ears so they don't fall out, along with a method to make the cable longer, and also a way tame the highs (I'll try foam I guess) . . . .
I hear ya Satellite - maybe time will help. Remember, recently dfkt admitted he hated those SM3 IEMs for days initially. Now he loves them!

And yeah, the foam mod thing seems it would def help with your treble issue - assume you have read the relevant threads on headfi?

As for tips to achieve deeper ear canal insertion, maybe the Sony Hybrids? These are much thinner material than all the other tips I have seen thus far. The Super.Fi tips look to be a bit thicker [maybe getting better isolation] but I have not tried them yet so I don't know.

I do know the Hybrids fit the Panas with no detectable alteration of sound. And the Hybrids are super thin
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-25-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
I hear ya Satellite - maybe time will help. Remember, recently dfkt admitted he hated those SM3 IEMs for days initially. Now he loves them!

And yeah, the foam mod thing seems it would def help with your treble issue - assume you have read the relevant threads on headfi?

As for tips to achieve deeper ear canal insertion, maybe the Sony Hybrids? These are much thinner material than all the other tips I have seen thus far. The Super.Fi tips look to be a bit thicker [maybe getting better isolation] but I have not tried them yet so I don't know.

I do know the Hybrids fit the Panas with no detectable alteration of sound. And the Hybrids are super thin
I'll keep the Sony tips in mind then. . . I might need something more extreme tho. Like double flange tips. I haven't read any threads on head-fi about the foam mod. . .

EDIT: Ooh, I just read a thread saying that comply tips make the treble sound quiet and get rid of sibilance. . . .they might be a win.

This thread is also interesting:http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...s-with-ue-tips

Sony hybrids may not be great then. . . who knows tho really.

Last edited by Satellite_6; 09-25-2010 at 04:22 PM.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm using my Altec Lansing UHP606 tips, the large ones. They do a much better job of isolating outside noise - but I might do a test to see how the double-flange tips perform. I had the medium sized Sony Hybrids on before, too small for my grand canyons,........

Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, double-flange might work for you and it sure sounds like the Comply tips would reduce treble. But I hate foamies - too disposable and too expensive and get too dirty. I also am acutely aware of the foamies in my ears, whereas the silicon tips I can ignore.

I wonder if triple flange would be useful for you? Or if they would even fit?

For me, though I have never tried triple flange, they just look too nasty and unwieldy for my ears...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I hate foamies as well, and silicon is the ONLY type of tips I'll use OR recommend. Triple flange, that would really be fantastic IMO - I'll need to get me a test set. Just not in that "foamie" stuffage - yuk!!!

Old 09-25-2010, 10:06 PM

For tips also consider the tips from the meelectronics M11 (5 pairs, $4.99) or M11+ (10 pairs, $9.99). Both mixed sets are designed to fit the hje900's 5.5mm nozzle.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 AM

Could anyone provide a kind of critical comparison between thses and the sleek sa1's? They both have very similar design (removable cables, shape) but the sleeks are slightly cheeper. Want to know if it's worth saving the extra for these.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:59 AM

I just got my pair, so far so good.

BTW the included tips are really worthless, luckily I have sennheiser and v-moda tips that fit nicely but even with them there is almost no isolation (and I do get a decent seal).

Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 AM

^
I have to agree on the isolation part. It's just not satisfying. I definitely need something that blocks up more noise. The screeching has lessen and I'm beginning to hear the little details that I failed to hear on the first day. Either my head is getting accustomed to the phones or the burn-in actually work. Regardless, it's all good (except the lack of isolation).

Old 09-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pienose View Post
Could anyone provide a kind of critical comparison between thses and the sleek sa1's? They both have very similar design (removable cables, shape) but the sleeks are slightly cheeper. Want to know if it's worth saving the extra for these.
Hey no idea on the Sleek SA1s. Perhaps dfkt will chime in - I am pretty sure he is familiar with Sleek Audio in general, and he is one of the right guys to ask about this stuff.

As for the Panas or the Sleeks? Well, if you have been reading this thread, you know pretty much where I stand.

A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-26-2010, 11:09 AM

The triple flanges look pretty crazy. . . I'm thinking I'll get some double flanges or some silicon tips. Are foam tips just not durable?

Stuffing foam on the outside part of the tips increases isolation.

EDIT: It looks like I'd be bound to find something that fits in this set:
http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Original_Eartips_for_M11_Earphones_p/tipset10-m11+bk-mee.htm
Thanks for that.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:34 PM

How are the Panasonics in comparison with Earsonics SM3 (regardless of price)? I'm going to 'phones for my portable setup and both of them are seems to be great ones.

According to chart made by fdkt, these Panasonics are better then SM3. But how they compare if the price doesn't matter?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey hdablin: Don't wanna put works in dfkt's mouth, but I know he really enjoys the SM3 now after originally not liking them so much. Between the 2, I am not really sure exactly how he stands at the moment.

Hopefully he will chime in here...
cheers,
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-27-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdablin View Post
How are the Panasonics in comparison with Earsonics SM3 (regardless of price)? I'm going to 'phones for my portable setup and both of them are seems to be great ones.

According to chart made by fdkt, these Panasonics are better then SM3. But how they compare if the price doesn't matter?
Actually, since I had the SM3, I've always listed them as my favorite IEMs in the spreadsheet thread.

The SM3 are the most dynamic, the fastest IEMs, with the best treble to my ears, and a generally neutral yet rich, full sound rendition. Some people might not like their rather forward midrange in comparison - it took me quite a while as well, but now I'm happy I gave the SM3 a chance. Really happy.

The HJE are very dynamic and fast too, expecially for a dynamic driver phone, but they deliver more of a loudness-shaped frequency response.

Build quality of the SM3's housing can't compete with the HJE's zirconia housing in any way, but the cable is one of the best out there. Isolation is a bit better with the SM3.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Actually, since I had the SM3, I've always listed them as my favorite IEMs in the spreadsheet thread.

The SM3 are the most dynamic, the fastest IEMs, with the best treble to my ears, and a generally neutral yet rich, full sound rendition. Some people might not like their rather forward midrange in comparison - it took me quite a while as well, but now I'm happy I gave the SM3 a chance. Really happy.

The HJE are very dynamic and fast too, expecially for a dynamic driver phone, but they deliver more of a loudness-shaped frequency response.

Build quality of the SM3's housing can't compete with the HJE's zirconia housing in any way, but the cable is one of the best out there. Isolation is a bit better with the SM3.
Sorry to qoute just to get your attention, but I'd really appeceate your input about the sa ones. Are the hje's worth the 30 quid more?

Old 09-27-2010, 11:15 AM

I haven't heard the SA1... only tested the SA6 for a short time and wasn't impressed at all, both sound- and build quality wise.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Yeah, I've been looking around and these defiantly look like the best earphones with detachable cables at the £100 price mark.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I say go for it Pienose. If nothing else, the Pana build quality will impress you. But they really do sound terrific to me.

No headphones are perfect, especially not to everyone. But the Panas offer the total package of fun [bass], great soundstage and accuracy to me, all in a relative bargain price.

cheers and good luck...let us know what you decide.
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies