android
Old 09-24-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leen View Post
Just got mine today.

The highs are really really high. Is that the highs? The higher pitch seems to be screeching. It's really bright. When the cymbals sound, it feels as though I have two cymbals hitting straight into my ears.

I've been loving the bass and the amount of soundstage I get. Definitely an improvement from my SE 530 with regards to those two aspects.

The tips come in thicker than I expected. But still, I am looking for more alternatives out there in order to improve the isolation. Traveling on plane for about 24 hours definitely require something with good isolation and for now, this panasonic is just not cut for it. SE530 is good for that purpose but the ears kind of hurt after wearing for 2-3 hours or so. Everything is always a tradeoff.

Anyway, it's been only 15 minutes or so. I might discover new things after some days. A little bit darker on the highs would be good, I think. =D
WOWW!!! i got it today too

And I agree that the high is really really high.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Leen, Lovely_bear: Indeed congratulations to you both!

Do not fear - if my results are any indication, the Panas will open up and sound even better/smoother/more refined/more detailed in the next few days of usage for you both. Really really great IEMs. The soundstage is simply incredible to me - so good i can almost physically point where instruments seem to be coming from.

They sound good at higher volumes, but do yourselves a favor! Consider some lower than normal volumes [save your ears! lol ] - the Panas really shine here. And for me, the first few days I used EQ on my DAPs. Not anymore. This is the first pair of IEMs I own where the balance of detail/clarity/soundstage/high/low/mid is so good to my ears that I do not need EQ.

Enjoy them - they looks schmexy as hell too don't they?

Only bad thing: the cable is a bit short at 1 meter.

@Leen, both the Sony Hybrid tips and the Super.Fi replacement tips will fit the Panas. The Super.Fi are dfkt's and others fave tip and offer more isolation and comfort - check em out. I like the Sony Hybrids myself, but plan to get me a set of the Super.Fi tips for comparison.

I think lots of folks get the Super.Fi from here:
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/uleasusmsifl.html

Cheers and enjoy the panas!

PS: join us here:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/group.php?groupid=70
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-24-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
[Image redacted, for the sake of our children]
Matron!

[Semi coherent speculative ramble follows:]

I'm definitely enjoying these more now. I think burn in is probably a myth (I don't doubt that drivers change the sound they produce as they 'break in', but I do doubt that it's normally perceptible), but I think what probably happens is that your brain 'burns in' the sound of the headphones. As you get used to them, you no longer subconsciously focus on the unique characteristics of the sound - whatever separates your new set from your old set - and only then can you appreciate the sound signature as a whole, without an indistinct sense of something being 'not quite right'.

It's quite amazing how much the adult brain can adapt to new sensory environments (google George Stratton glasses experiment, for example). I wonder whether there is an economic distortion (the effect of the 'fallacy of composition'), creating a tendency to bias headphones towards a sound signature which will create a pleasing first impression (e.g. highly accentuated bass), rather than one which stands up to 'repeat listening'; a kind of headphones equivalent of the 'loudness wars'. I wonder whether, in part, the relative obscurity of these headphones is explained by them having a subtler sound, which isn't likely to appeal to people immediately.

Last edited by Confuseling; 09-24-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:09 PM

The highs are indeed high. . .

The short cable has been annoying me recently.

EDIT: I have read multiple opinions of these stating that they don't sound as good as the $70 S4s. Do you guys think there is any truth in this is or do some people just not appreciate them b/c of their subtle sound?

Last edited by Satellite_6; 09-24-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Confuseling: Excellent points. I think I find myself more and thinking along these lines, crediting much to the human brain's ability to adapt...

Good stuff Confuseling
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I love my Panasonic IEM's!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 04:36 PM

I don't.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
EDIT: I have read multiple opinions of these stating that they don't sound as good as the $70 S4s. Do you guys think there is any truth in this is or do some people just not appreciate them b/c of their subtle sound?
I don't have them to compare them to. All I can say is that the more I listen to them, the more I like them.

Now no doubt in part that is post purchase rationalisation (people who think they don't get this are doubtless the same type of people as those who think that advertising doesn't affect them - i.e. people with no understanding of basic psychology), but I still think they are probably good phones, that I'll keep 'growing into'.

Possible, of course, that you just got a 'dud' specimen. My feeling would be to keep listening to them for a week, and then if you don't like them, sell them (or return them, if that's an option...).

Old 09-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Satellite: I have heard the S4 Klipsch. No way do they "sound better" than the Panas. The S4 sound very very good - very similar sound signature to my Maximo i590s actually, though the Maximos are a bit brighter mid and top and the S4 extend a bit lower.

Different yes - not better.

But to my ears, the Panas just have this great sense of space and dynamics. Everything is punchy and i can easily detect not only individual instruments in complicated music, but also can zero in on where they are coming from [not just stage left, center, right, but almost like hands on a clock]....

Man, I do notice that i like these a tad better at lower to mid volumes. At higher volumes the treble does seem a bit overtop at times, though still pleasant for me as I like this sound type.

Maybe give them some more time, both for you and your brain? Maybe lower volume levels for a day? And try no EQ...

Just for information's sake and FWIW, here are my Panas and the volume levels I am using on my DAPs:

Sony E345: No EQ, volume 12 of 30...With EQ, volume 8 of 30
RB Fuze: No EQ, volume -22dB...With EQ, volume -26dB
RB GigabeatF40: No EQ, volume - 35dB....With EQ, volume -40dB

Actually, this could be useful for me and TDS as he has RB Fuse as well.
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 09-24-2010 at 05:51 PM.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
I don't.
And,...............

Old 09-24-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Got a link available? For the life of me I can't seem to find a seller,................
http://store.sleek-audio.com/accesso...ble-cable.html

Photo comparison of stock cable vs sleek audio cable

Just keep in mind that the sleek cable does somewhat change the fit. Whether or not it is an improvement will depend upon personal preference. Take a look at the pictures and see if you like it. Worst comes to worse, you can just purchase the sleek cable, and reterminate the ends with a different plug.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 09-24-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Satellite: I have heard the S4 Klipsch. No way do they "sound better" than the Panas. The S4 sound very very good - very similar sound signature to my Maximo i590s actually, though the Maximos are a bit brighter mid and top and the S4 extend a bit lower.

Different yes - not better.

But to my ears, the Panas just have this great sense of space and dynamics. Everything is punchy and i can easily detect not only individual instruments in complicated music, but also can zero in on where they are coming from [not just stage left, center, right, but almost like hands on a clock]....

Man, I do notice that i like these a tad better at lower to mid volumes. At higher volumes the treble does seem a bit overtop at times, though still pleasant for me as I like this sound type.

Maybe give them some more time, both for you and your brain? Maybe lower volume levels for a day? And try no EQ...

Just for information's sake and FWIW, here are my Panas and the volume levels I am using on my DAPs:

Sony E345: No EQ, volume 12 of 30...With EQ, volume 8 of 30
RB Fuze: No EQ, volume -22dB...With EQ, volume -26dB
RB GigabeatF40: No EQ, volume - 35dB....With EQ, volume -40dB

Actually, this could be useful for me and TDS as he has RB Fuse as well.
f**k I tried to reply but what I wrote dissapeared. ARG! so here's my simple reply, thanks for the opinion, without an EQ they suck and soundsatge isn't everything. I doubt my opinion of them will change with more time. I like them, but I'm not impressed. I'm listening to them right now btw: they sound alright w/ -2, -1, 0, -1,-2.

Last edited by Satellite_6; 09-24-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:39 PM

I've been thinking about replacing the tips to improve my listening experience with these great IEMs, and as I read here both the Sony Hybrid tips and the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi are great. I'm leaning towards the Super.Fi though, but I just can't find them selling in Europe which would be preferable than having it coming from the other side of the Atlantic.

If in the end that's not possible, then where could I get the Sony Hybrid tips in Europe as well?

Thanks! ~

Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Just keep in mind that the sleek cable does somewhat change the fit. Whether or not it is an improvement will depend upon personal preference. Take a look at the pictures and see if you like it. Worst comes to worse, you can just purchase the sleek cable, and reterminate the ends with a different plug.
Hmm, it's not the plug I'd have issue with, it's the fact the connector would be in an awkward position and pull the IEM's out of my ears. It'd be plugged in the wrong way - not good at all.

It's inserted into the side of the IEM, it wont work IMO.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:

Why not this one instead? http://store.sleek-audio.com/accesso...ble-cable.html

Old 09-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alon93 View Post
Good eye Alon93, thank you!!!

Old 09-25-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Leen, Lovely_bear: Indeed congratulations to you both!

Do not fear - if my results are any indication, the Panas will open up and sound even better/smoother/more refined/more detailed in the next few days of usage for you both. Really really great IEMs. The soundstage is simply incredible to me - so good i can almost physically point where instruments seem to be coming from.

They sound good at higher volumes, but do yourselves a favor! Consider some lower than normal volumes [save your ears! lol ] - the Panas really shine here. And for me, the first few days I used EQ on my DAPs. Not anymore. This is the first pair of IEMs I own where the balance of detail/clarity/soundstage/high/low/mid is so good to my ears that I do not need EQ.

Enjoy them - they looks schmexy as hell too don't they?

Only bad thing: the cable is a bit short at 1 meter.

@Leen, both the Sony Hybrid tips and the Super.Fi replacement tips will fit the Panas. The Super.Fi are dfkt's and others fave tip and offer more isolation and comfort - check em out. I like the Sony Hybrids myself, but plan to get me a set of the Super.Fi tips for comparison.

I think lots of folks get the Super.Fi from here:
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/uleasusmsifl.html

Cheers and enjoy the panas!

PS: join us here:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/group.php?groupid=70
Thanks, i'm gonna lay with it more. Actually, i was not impressed by its appearance at first looking, but i am starting loving it now. It makes my original headphone from cowon s9 look like a toy.

Old 09-25-2010, 12:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely_bear29 View Post
Thanks, i'm gonna lay with it more. Actually, i was not impressed by its appearance at first looking, but i am starting loving it now. It makes my original headphone from cowon s9 look like a toy.
I agree 100%, as the Cowon IEM's are just a temp set till you buy a real pair - and you did my friend - these are excellent IMO.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:10 AM

Hey,

The right angle SA6 cord works a treat. The straight pins would have the same issues as the Panasonic cord, well, minus the short length. I'm wearing them with the SA6 cord now, I posted this in the Owner's group section because this thread is becoming endless.

Satellite_6 pondered:
Quote:
Highly improbable. I returned S4s to J&R and got these. I literally listened to them back-to-back. To me, I'd swear the Image S4s are entry-level rebranded UEs, but with a bassier mold. They are pretty good, but they don't really do anything exceptionally well. For me. Very responsive, but relaxed. I prefer energetic, analytical gear. I want to feel the cymbal shave a 1/16" splinter (exactly 1/16"!) off a drum stick. The music? It;s secondary to dissecting the recording for microdynamics. :^)

If I had to give a micro-review on the spot, I'd say it's these HJE900s are more like a circumaural than an IEM. dfkt said as much. They're punchy, they're dynamic alright--; almost forceful in their voicing. Their ability to resolve microdynamics is what makes them worth figuring out how to calm the sibilance or rig up a new cord. I guess they're like a Grado product. Perhaps an SR225. That's it. It's an SR225 in IEM form. Punchy, airy, detailed, a presence that puts you there, but with a whole set of quirks like the sibilance and the short cord ... and it's destined to be a phone that people either love, or hate. The Grado analogy fits.

I've certainly spent more to get less.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm starting to notice, like lestatar, that these sound best w/the EQ on flat, and the Bass set to 6 on my Cowon J3. I also turned the BBE off, and the damn things sound BETTER. Seems that they don't like sound enhancements too much, at least to my ears.