android
Old 09-12-2010, 12:50 AM

Default HD Conversion settings -- a question

I have ripped a collection of about 400 CDs into WMA Lossless. In putting them on a player (I have two Zunes) I have done one with only some of the 400 and used "Only Convert formats that aren't supported by the device" in order to have full quality. On the other Zune I want to put more data on the player and selected "When a song exceeds source quality . . . " and settings of 320/320. The idea was that it would convert all the WMA Lossless files to 320. But on this setting, the transfer to the Zune is extremely slow -- maybe 100 tracks in four hours. Going to settings of 256/320, the conversion and transfer is significantly speeded up. I believe that this setting will still convert everything to 320. Is that correct? And why is the 320/320 setting so slow?

Many thanks for your help,
Wally

P.S. I should add that the 256/320 setting is still quite slow by any other comparison. Is this a product of going to 320?

Last edited by WallyO; 09-12-2010 at 12:56 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 AM

syncing and converting takes a very /very/ long time. As for why, i haven't a clue. Set it, go to sleep, wake up, be happy.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 AM

The higher the bit rate the larger the file size which means longer to transfer.
Bit rate and files also depends on format stored in and WMA @ 320 will be a large file for each track.

You should also check your USB drivers to make sure you have the current and there are no problems there. If the drivers are corrupt the USB port can still function but you may only be getting USB 1.1 speeds and not 2.0.
The difference between 1.1 and 2.0 in speed is huge.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:15 PM

A followup. I checked the USB drivers and they were fine. After 18 hours, 240 of 4255 tracks had been loaded on the player. This would mean 318 hours for the full 4255 tracks (13.3 days). Is this conceivable? My computer is a Pentium 4 3GHZ with (only) 2G of ram. I went back and erased the player and started sync over and the files that have already been loaded reload quite fast. The conversions are stored in the Transcoded Files Folder. I believe that this is because they were already converted to 320 kbps and it is the conversion (not the transfer) that is taking so long. So I guess I'll leave the player plugged in for two weeks. Seems unbelievable. Do others use 320 kbps on their players and load this quantity of material?

Thanks,
Wally

Old 09-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyO View Post
A followup. I checked the USB drivers and they were fine. After 18 hours, 240 of 4255 tracks had been loaded on the player. This would mean 318 hours for the full 4255 tracks (13.3 days). Is this conceivable? My computer is a Pentium 4 3GHZ with (only) 2G of ram. I went back and erased the player and started sync over and the files that have already been loaded reload quite fast. The conversions are stored in the Transcoded Files Folder. I believe that this is because they were already converted to 320 kbps and it is the conversion (not the transfer) that is taking so long. So I guess I'll leave the player plugged in for two weeks. Seems unbelievable. Do others use 320 kbps on their players and load this quantity of material?

Thanks,
Wally
I have the first gen 30 GB Zune, and I have about 5500 tracks on it, the majority of which are 320 kbps, with some vbr. It takes about three hours to fill up my Zune.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:58 PM

Hmmm . . . I think part of the issue is the computer--I see that the CPU is maxed out the entire time this is being done, for conversion (rather than transfer) I be pretty sure. I'm also going from the WMA lossless to 320 and I don't know what you started with. Files originally at 320, etc. would be faster. It's the conversion I'm having trouble with, at least on this computer. When I copy the WMA lossless files to my other Zune, it's very fast.

Last edited by WallyO; 09-12-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:10 PM

I have never converted any music with the sync action but I have movies and it can be painfully slow.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:07 PM

Yeah pentium... that's an older one. I'd chalk it up to that.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:10 PM

Converting takes for freaking ever in the Zune software in my experience, so I would say that is the cause of your woes.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 AM

I have some new information on this. The program is actually just stalling. It syncs 30-40 tracks and then instead of showing "Converting + track name" it shows only "Converting ..." Stopiing sync and restarting it sends it on its way for another 30-40 tracks. While syncing the CPU usage is at 100% more or less. When it stalls, the CPU usage drops to 1-10%. So I have to figure out why it's stalling. I've gone through the online Zune tech help and done everything they suggest and it's not helping. Any other ideas on the stall? This is a Dell Workstation that rips through things like Photoshop, so I wouldn't expect it to be that slow on this. When the sync isn't stalled, it's actually quite fast.

Wally

Old 09-13-2010, 11:27 AM

Shot in the dark, but try increasing the storage space reserved for converting items. It's the last option in Conversion Settings.