android
Old 09-07-2010, 10:26 PM

Default Is My e250 Bricked?

So, here's my situation:

I've had rockbox on my e250 since I got it, about a month or so ago.
Yesterday I decided to run down the battery to see how long it lasted.
I used it normally, just didn't charge it
The player worked as normal until it got to about 30%, when I turned it off.
When I turned it back on, it said it was at ~10%, and when I turned it off again somewhat soon after, it said gave the regular "low battery, shutting down" message.
When I got back home, I connected it, and didn't think about it for an hour or two. I realized afterward that it didn't actually turn on when I plugged it in.
I go back to check on it, and it's literally searing hot.
When I turn it on while it's charging, it usually hangs at the Sandisk screen. If I turn it on while it's not charging, it says "battery too low."

I found someone from a search that said how you could hold the play and record buttons for a sort of reset, which works while it's charging, but the computer still won't recognize it. If I hold play, record, and back buttons, I can get it into the original firmware, but it still won't be recognized.

Does this mean my player is bricked?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Open it up and see if the battery exploded.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 PM

So I took it apart, and took out the battery, cleaned it off a bit, and put it back in. The player was working properly, but still wouldn't be recognized by Windows. It could see it but not recognize it. I managed to get it into recovery mode and do a format, but it now either won't be recognized or will be recognized after like 2 minutes of sitting there. And when it finally does recognize it, it takes another long period of time to even open it up, and it won't respond to any transfers I try. And just as a reference, my Rockbox'd Clip still works fine.

Is it safe to assume it's gone?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You could try buying a replacement battery, but if something got cooked when it heated up, it might be dead.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Isn't it pretty hard to get a replacement battery though for such an outdated device? My recommendation would be to just get a new player, if you were happy with a Rockboxed Sansa, then the Fuze is an excellent choice

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 09-08-2010, 10:00 PM

My sister has a fuze. It's alright, but I know the Rockbox port is going to be unstable, since It'll probably be a v2, and I am sick of dealing with the Rockbox port on my Clip. I'll probably either try and buy another e200 or just go all out and get a Cowon J3. Sadly, neither is likely to happen very soon for money reasons. But thanks for the suggestions everyone, I appreciate the help.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Isn't it pretty hard to get a replacement battery though for such an outdated device?
No not at all, you can find their batteries all over the net and cheap. BTW it's been reported in another thread that they're in good shape and work fine.

@Jaigoda if you can get the e250 into manufacturing mode it is recoverable with the e200tool, read the guide here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-12-2010, 03:07 PM

I looked at e200tool before, but it looks a little scary and I don't know if I'm tech-savvy enough to do something like that... I tend to be a little timid to try more technical stuff (it took me a good while to try and get Rockbox on my Clip). I'll keep that in the back of my head though, and if I have a day or so of time to blow, I might try it. Thanks a bunch for the suggestion though.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:12 PM

Other than trying it, you could always sell it for parts but I realy don't think you have anything to lose trying to save her

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc