Call me weird, but I have yet to see a single wii in my life Oň

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-07-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eFFeeMMe View Post
Call me weird, but I have yet to see a single wii in my life Oň
Yup ur weird

Old 03-20-2008, 06:47 PM

Ups are very definitely the accessibility - I've never come across any console that bridges age/gamer ability groups as the Wii.

On the downside, it's all a bit meh - I haven't played mine in ages, it's one for when a buncha friends are round. Don't tend to play it solo. At all!

Also, the accessibility's a downer - I'm still smarting from my partner kicking my arse-antlered behind at bowling! A non-gamer?! Inconceivable!!!

Dang, The Princess Bride... Where's that Top 5 Films thread...

Old 06-30-2008, 04:56 PM

up:
fun in groups, cheap, virtual console, wiiware, internet/weather/news channel

down:
severely underpowered, tops out at 480p (!), after a while the hype wears off and you realize you paid $250 for a white, vertical gamecube with a gimmicky motion wand

Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 AM
General Audio Moderator

I love the wii, I do not personally think that the control schema is very gimmicky as it really does make some game that much more fun. The 480 p issue does not bother me either as most games are anamorphic 16:9 and my tv does a really good job scaling it. Also I think out of the current next gen consoles I have had the most fun on a DS and WII. I am not really into the uber viloent video games, I will play them but not for large lengths. Okami was excellent, Zelda was great, ellebits was orginal and fun, and of course I love the fire emblem for the wii with all its cute boy goodness. Zack and wiki was also another excellent title! Also I am looking forward to the new tales of symphonia game as well as Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon, and the new harvest moon game ^^.

If anything I think the only cons of the console are the need for a inferred tracking, as our living room has a sky light it has trouble tracking some parts of the day.

The graphics may not be up to par of a PS3 or a 360, but the limited games I have liked so far are very good compared to maybe 2 on the 360 and none so far that interest me on the PS3.... Though the wii does have a good deal of crap titles as it is the system with the lowest development overhead and skill required of all the next gen home consoles, the DS is no exception so you do really have to weed through some crap to get to the gems...

Old 07-01-2008, 03:56 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuki View Post
The 480 p issue does not bother me either as most games are anamorphic 16:9 and my tv does a really good job scaling it.
Considering that nearly every halfway-decent computer built any time during this century is capable of far exceeding HD specifications, I'm a bit puzzled as to why a console manufacturer would choose to stick with VGA or WVGA resolutions these days. I can understand a downconverting mode for those with older TV sets, but to restrict everybody to this resolution is a bit incomprehensible.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:19 AM
General Audio Moderator

yeah true, but i think nintendo went a simpler approach and used a low transistor count in the graphics chip to make room for an embedded arm processor in the graphics chip to cut costs down in adding an arm processor to the board for running low level functions... if you look at it the wii is the only next gen system that was profitable to start with in hardware costs... Also most of the next gen cosoles do not actually render complex scenes in hd resolution, some games are rendered in about 600 lines and upscaled by the video upslacer in the 360 for example. I think most games only run at 720p and are hardware upscaled unless the graphics are simple, though that is still almost double the rendering resolution of the wii, also the wii is not capable of many shader functions. The wii is geared towards a different demographic while all the other consoles are just massive upgrades of previous offerings...

but that still said its my fav next gen system just because of the games and in the most part the lack of hd was to keep complexity and costs own so they could push lots of units

Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 PM

the wii may not have the best graphics but it's been marketed to all, not just gamers, and people who have never played a game in their life won't care as much about graphics as someone who's been playing since the good old NES days.

I don't have an extremely good TV, so HD graphics would be useless for me, we'll probably end up getting a new Tv sometime within the next year, but until then I don't mind firing up my wii without HD, it still looks better (well, Metroid Prime 3 does anyway) than my Ps2 games, except maybe the cutscenes on Kingdom Hearts.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:20 AM

For those comparing the Wii's graphics (inferior) to the PS2 (inferior), you're mistaken.
Obviously, some titles aren't meant to look spectacular (Wii Sports), as it's simplistic and easy to access. A game like Brawl or Resident Evil 4 will not look as pretty on the PS2.

From the last generation, sans the Dreamcast, the PS2 was clearly Lepidus in the triumvirate for graphics. Gamecube was almost on par with the Xbox in terms of specs, while PS2 was a lot closer to the Dreamcast than Gamecube.

Pros:
- The party machine, with quality Nintendo games like Brawl & Mario Kart & arguably the Wii Sports & Play, 3rd party fun like Rock Band and Guitar hero. Yes, GHIII sold the most on the Wii, against other systems, despite lack of DLC.

- Controls. Properly tuned, it's fairly intuitive, and only gets better when they try. With Metroid Prime, the controls were so good the game's difficulty felt much easier due to the tight FPS play. And, with Wii Motion Plus, it'll finally support 1:1 motion.

- 1st & 2nd Party exclusives that are no where else, and will never be. Huge plus if you're a long-time Nintendo fan. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Wario, Brawl, Kart, Fire Emblem, etc.

- Simple to pick up and play

- Wii Online is designed with child safety in mind.

Cons
- Does get boring if you have no one to play with if you do only have party games. Even Brawl does, because the CPUs are stupid and so compensate by ganging up on you. Was it ever fun when your friends decided to gangbang you in previous iterations just because they couldn't beat you 1 on 1? Well sometimes, if they couldn't beat you still, but otherwise unfair.

- Controls can also suck. Hard. The developers seem pretty lazy about utilizing it properly, or even interestingly. Here's to the Wii Motion Plus removing any excuses except laziness and ineptitude.

- If Nintendo's not your cup of tea, it's hard to convince you otherwise. That, and 3rd partys scrambling for your money means more shovelware to pick through to find an actual gem of a game (Okami, RE4:Wii, Madworld), now or in the future.

- Simple to pick up and play. Sometimes, people feel uncomfortable and confused when controllers are... simple to pick up and play. It's like, what happened to the crapton of buttons?

- Wii Online is stupid. Stupid stupid stupid. And craptastic. Brawl is still laggy and horrible, and gimped. Friends codes makes it a pain, just for some overbearing security? Not every Nintendo gamer is a kid; there should be options available that make it easier to communicate and meet people, like Battle.net (which was available over ten years ago).

Old 08-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

up--interactive, fun for playing with ALOT of ppl

down--you feel like an idiot playing by urself =P

graphics and all that doesnt bother me, as long as gameplay is solid and its fun

Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM

Good: downloadable stuff, internet

Bad: Facebook is slow, can't check email, and posting this took a long time. Is there a keyboard for browsing the internet on my Wii.

John 3:16

Old 09-29-2008, 02:53 PM

Ups: Gets you active when your bored
Godzilla Unleashed makes you feel like that with every swing, an apartment complex gets leveled. Tell me thats not remotely interesting (no pun intended)
Controller compatible, for Brawl
Thrillvile off the rails is somewhat better with the wiimotes
Downs: My Sims: worst wii game I have ever expierienced( but dang its so addictively boring!!)
You get tired of standing up all the time; even during idle stages its almost required
Pointer sometimes gets buggy because of other nearby electrical equipment
Half the time it won't read the disks
Etc.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Years later, and i have the wii.
The last time i used it was when i installed a USB loader so i can play backup games. Thats pretty much it

ZVM rocks my socks

Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 AM
General Audio Moderator

Wow this is an old thread , well i ended up selling my wii during the holiday season a few years back after i first posted. Ended up getting double for what i paid , then just in April of this year i bought one again. During the first time i owned the console most games were awful except maybe fire emblem and zelda , so much shitty shovel ware. But as it stands now the console has a decent variety of good games (still far more shovel ware though than should be allowed). I mainly picked up the console again as an impulse to finish zelda and to get fragile (fragile being probally one of the best games i have played to date). Anyways this is post i posted on a gaming forum a few weeks back of the games that you should give a shot at if you have the console:

Monster Hunter Tri : A hack and slash monster hunting game , not much to the basic idea but it sure is fun and engrossing.

Super Smash Brothers: Yeah lots of people say get this one , but its fun in a group of people or even single player. On-line support is pretty awful though, even if you have a fast connection.

Okami: The wii controls on this one make it a great port of the ps2 version , plus you get wide-screen and progressive scan support.

Fragile: This is the game that made me want to pick up a wii after selling my launch unit , and it was well worth it. The battle system is not as bad as people always whine about. The main boy kisses another boy on top of the rest of the awesome. Ost , environment , original Japanese voice over , and deep story make it great.

Zelda , twilight princess: My 2nd favorite zelda to date after wind waker , plus it has super sexy link.

Arc Rise Fantasia: A super campy jrpg with meh voice acting but with a decent yet not original story , and good battle system. Great ost though.

Naruto clash of the ninja 3: Awful American dub voices is the only fault i can find, a great fighter otherwise.

Fire Emblem: If you like tactical rpgs , then this is one of the best. As a long time fire emblem fan it is also my favorite thus far.

Sin and Punishment 2: A rail shooter , but a good one.

Red Steel 2: Wow this is a wii game ? The graphics are super nice , game play is great as well. A shooter / sword fighting game , not much depth past that, but lots of fun.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom: This is my favorite fighter fro any system to date.

Rune Factory: Harvest moon with sexy boys and rpg elements, great fun.

Little King's story: Its an odd mix of game play , if you can find it I am sure its a game that has something for everyone.

Trauma Team : An over the top surgery simulation game with a most amusing story.

Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers: Short but full of much win, its not an rpg but more of an adventure title.

Tetris Party Deluxe: Tetris , but a good multi-player version

Tales of Symphonia 2: Another decent jrpg for the console , think of it more as its own game rather than a sequel.

Resident evil 4: Great port of the gamecube version , shows it's age but still lots of fun. And the point / aim controls make it very fun to play.

No more Heroes 2: Never played the first one since i could not find it in good shape , but the 2nd one is fun and quite humorous.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Raving Rabbids 2 is still the best game for the wii

Old 09-04-2010, 09:25 PM

My favorite game for the Wii is probably Twilight Princess. I really like the Wii, I think you can get very great graphics with the Wii if the developer's would try harder. One of the best looking games I have seen on Wii is Super Mario Galaxy, never actually saw the sequel but I heard it is just as great maybe even better looking. Even Twilight Princess looks really good and that is a gamecube port.

And lately I have been playing older games like the original Legend of Zelda from NES and Ocarina of Time from N64,

Old 09-12-2010, 01:19 AM

I used to like the Wii. I used to think Nintendo had a great idea here.
But then, I found that Nintendo was keeping its foot jammed into the door on the threshold to next gen.

The Wii can't be "patched"; games can't be either. There is no extra DLC to speak of, and the WiFi service is absolutely laughable.

The Wii was supposed to revolutionize gaming. Instead of random button pressing, we were supposed to get cool new motion controls.

Now we have random stick waving instead. Can't say I like it much better.

It took them almost 3 years to get Motion Plus out (which lets the Wii now do what it was SUPPOSED to do).

On a side note, the AI in Brawl is fairly good; their attack patterns actually vary based on stimuli from the player (unlike in Melee and the original, where they followed set patterns).

The Wii has lost the price advantage as well. It would be nice if we could get new hardware.

The 3DS looks excellent, though. Can't wait to see the PSP get pounded to the ground.

By marketing to everyone, I think Nintendo just threw all the hardcore gamers under the bus. The only good first party games that are worth playing are only coming from Nintendo (apart from some few gems). This is ridiculous. You don't see Sony make the majority of the good games on the PS3. Microsoft doesn't make the majority of those either. Granted, they're companies with focuses other than gaming, but the point still holds.