android
Old 09-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Default Putting Music on the Clip Plus

Yes, I can put Music on the Clip Plus. Yes, I am a newbie in regard to the Clip Plus. I know I can use Windows Explorer, but I don't like that. I know I can open two "My Computer" programs (which is Explorer in disguise) and drag the tagged music from one window (the computer one) to the other one (with the Clip Plus on it). Maybe I can use just one "My Computer." But it is still not optimal for my tastes.

What I really want is a Windows Explorer program with two panes so that I can see the music on the computer in one pane and the Clip Plus in the other. At the same time and with no overlapping windows.

There are a number of programs (free) that do this already for normal files on the computer. The one I use most often is Turbo Navigator which has double panes and you can use drop and drag quite conveniently. But unlike Explorer it does not recognize the Clip Plus unlike Explorer or "My Computer." I suppose I could resize Explorer or My Computer to get the effect of two panes. But I want to minimize the effort.

So any double paned programs that recognize the Clip Plus?

I know you can change the Clip Plus' USB mode but I don't think that worked for me.

Thx

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You could use media software such as MediaMonkey or Winamp to sync, both great pieces of software.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 09-11-2010, 10:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try http://www.zabkat.com/x2lite.htm ?

Old 09-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Are you sure it doesn't recognise it? I don't know anything about Turbo Navigator, but if you're switched to MSC mode, as far as I'm aware the computer should see it no differently* than a USB stick, or indeed a removable hard drive.

MTP mode would be a different matter.

General advice is to pick one mode and stick to it. Autodetect is the work of the devil, because it has the potential to switch back and forth between the two, causing completely unnecessary problems (like 'disappearing' music).

* in a practical sense - anyone pointing out different examples of hexadecimal kernel output will be summarily slapped with a wet fish

Old 09-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the original post--it got me thinking along these lines.

I found a sweet program that gives you a double-pane Windows Explorer experience, appropriately named Windows Double Explorer. The program doesn't install into your computer--you simply run the executable file.

http://wde.codeplex.com/

And here's a PC World article discussing it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19024..._explorer.html

Do note that Windows Double Explorer only works with Windows 7.

Windows Double Explorer seems to be similar to the software you originally mentioned, Turbo Navigator. But a somewhat more modern, cleaner look, and a bit simpler.

Windows Double Explorer works fine with my Clip+. But then, again, so does Turbo Navigator (I tried it out). I wonder if, in fact, the reason you are having an issue with Turbo Navigator is the MSC/MTP mode issue (I suspect it is)--with my Clip+ in MSC mode, I don't have any issue with either program.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:27 PM

I use total commander, not really free tho.
Can't imagine living without it.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:52 PM

Media Monkey (the free version) crashed when I tried to install it on a computer with WinXP SP2(or 3). Installed ok on another computer with Win7.

It doesn't seem to have the double pane but the send to feature may work ok.

I wasn't having much luck ripping and sending mp3 files directly to the Clip Plus (maybe I am not doing something), but I could rip to my computer and then ship to the Clip Plus.

Windows Double Explorer does recognize the Clip+ tho I haven't tried it yet. Of course this plus Turbo Nav which doesn't recognize the + don't rip either.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Erm... [tap tap] Is this thing on?

Did you try MSC mode?

Seriously - if you can't get a file browser to recognise it on MSC mode, I'd start worrying about your Clip being broken. It's worth being absolutely sure, just to rule that out...

Old 09-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Perhaps he needs to run chkdsk to see if his Sansa Clip+ is or is not a dud. :S