android
  #21  
Old 06-05-2010, 02:25 PM
cmbtking cmbtking is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 54
Default

while this does have no effect on me because i haven't flown in over 10 years, this is a great step in the advertising of Zune....because like Dave said...it's going to be shown now to millions of people each year...
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #22  
Old 06-05-2010, 03:46 PM
JJohnson JJohnson is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 74
Default

I'd like this even more if it were on Delta, where I usually fly internationally. A full-on Zune interface on their music system would be great.
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old 06-05-2010, 03:49 PM
DaveMac-MS DaveMac-MS is offline
Buddy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
So i just saw something about being able to rent an ipad for a flight for like $8.50.....so naturally you should undercut them and offer a zune hd loaded with movies, give em wireless, and let them enjoy. They will be blown away and it gets the product into their hands as well. Everyone knows people fall in love with this device once they play around with one.
I'm on it, turdbogls.

As you might expect, I'm spending a lot of time learning about the airline industry right now - tons of opportunity, very captive audience just begging to be entertained.

iPads as portable inflight entertainment devices is something that I know a lot of folks want to try - simply because of the brand value that "iPad" has - but which is fraught with problems.

Airlines need much better battery life than an iPad can offer, customization (ie: can't delete content, can't copy content off, can't "change" content), shrinkage protection, physical protection (ruggedized, screen protected), etc... JetStar in Australia has announced they're going to trial an iPad program - and a lot of folks in the industry will watch closely - but I think there are a TON of challenges to be addressed before this becomes any kind of mainstream IFE technology.

Not that those are problems any other portable device won't have to address, but I think the iPad in particular suffers from more of them than most.

Cheers, Dave.
__________________
Please don't PM me - instead send an email!
Follow me on Twitter (@DaveMacMS)!
If you're a member of the Zune Social - friend me (AussieDaveMS)!
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old 06-07-2010, 12:05 PM
maxtank maxtank is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3
Default

Saw the ads on my flights this past week. They even mentioned it durring their pre-flight announcements.

UA should say "please turn off all electronic devices, including cell phones, Zunes, and MP3 players" Instead of the normal IPOD reference.
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Madhouse24 Madhouse24 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
Default

Great news!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
I'm on it, turdbogls.

As you might expect, I'm spending a lot of time learning about the airline industry right now - tons of opportunity, very captive audience just begging to be entertained.

iPads as portable inflight entertainment devices is something that I know a lot of folks want to try - simply because of the brand value that "iPad" has - but which is fraught with problems.

Airlines need much better battery life than an iPad can offer, customization (ie: can't delete content, can't copy content off, can't "change" content), shrinkage protection, physical protection (ruggedized, screen protected), etc... JetStar in Australia has announced they're going to trial an iPad program - and a lot of folks in the industry will watch closely - but I think there are a TON of challenges to be addressed before this becomes any kind of mainstream IFE technology.

Not that those are problems any other portable device won't have to address, but I think the iPad in particular suffers from more of them than most.

Cheers, Dave.
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old 09-04-2010, 03:52 PM
ubi79 ubi79 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 82
Default

This must have taken a lot of time and work;

Congrats Dave on a job well done!

Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old 09-04-2010, 07:44 PM
DaveMac-MS DaveMac-MS is offline
Buddy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubi79 View Post
This must have taken a lot of time and work;

Congrats Dave on a job well done!
Thanks very much, but lots more work to do yet. Still, it's a fun project and hopefully trial passengers will respond well.

Cheers, Dave.
__________________
Please don't PM me - instead send an email!
Follow me on Twitter (@DaveMacMS)!
If you're a member of the Zune Social - friend me (AussieDaveMS)!
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old 09-04-2010, 11:37 PM
m_k m_k is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 277
Default

Forsooth!
Microsoft has worked hard to customize 500 devices and provide unique content for those flying with United Airlines. The software giant has held meetings with content providers and movie studios to pre-load the devices with the latest content just out of movie theatres and pre-DVD.
Verily, it must need be that such a glorious task be done bereft the millstone of zune.exe, lest yonder loading of The Content take longer than The Journey itself!

Blessed be the Sages of Redmond, who saw Wisdom in hiring the massive staff, and investing the untold millions of Samolians requisite to the task of unlocking The Dark Key of Barricaded USB!

And now, by all that's fair and good, such a gift as this shall be shared with ALL The Loyal? So that they... nay, so that WE, may likewise revel in the blissful joy of fast, easy, lightweight USB interfacing of OUR Zunes, too?

Say it's so, fair lord of the interfaces, say it's so!
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old 09-05-2010, 03:43 AM
Maxis Maxis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
It's an ok development for the Zune brand but for our Zune HD's...really who the f cares...unless you fly as much as Dave, it has little impact on our Zune HD world....hopefully this wasn't the big announcement he was on about...
+1

Ok .. zuneHD out about a year and they just managed to finalize an airline deal with 1 airline for marketing benefits ..

yawn ..
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old 09-05-2010, 04:47 AM
DaveMac-MS DaveMac-MS is offline
Buddy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_k View Post
Blessed be the Sages of Redmond, who saw Wisdom in hiring the massive staff, and investing the untold millions of Samolians requisite to the task of unlocking The Dark Key of Barricaded USB!
Err... I think you're asking if all 500 devices were loaded with a special program that didn't require the Zune PC Client, and if so, could you have a copy?

Actually, no - all 500 devices were loaded using the Zune PC client, with Targus 7-port hubs plugged into laptops (as many as the laptop had USB ports), and devices plugged into those hubs.

Cheers, Dave.
__________________
Please don't PM me - instead send an email!
Follow me on Twitter (@DaveMacMS)!
If you're a member of the Zune Social - friend me (AussieDaveMS)!
Reply With Quote

  #31  
Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 AM
FallenArms3 FallenArms3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Err... I think you're asking if all 500 devices were loaded with a special program that didn't require the Zune PC Client, and if so, could you have a copy?

Actually, no - all 500 devices were loaded using the Zune PC client, with Targus 7-port hubs plugged into laptops (as many as the laptop had USB ports), and devices plugged into those hubs.

Cheers, Dave.
Sounds like some intern had fun
__________________
- Grant F
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old 09-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Strider_Aus's Avatar
Strider_Aus Strider_Aus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 498
Default

What a tease ! Putting these devices on US-Aust flights with no AUssie release !!!! C'mon Dave ! I want legit, Aussie credit card Zune Pass membership without all the friggin around to make it work outside the current US market..... Will a PLEEEASSSSE help ?
Reply With Quote

  #33  
Old 09-07-2010, 06:01 PM
m_k m_k is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Err... I think you're asking if all 500 devices were loaded with a special program that didn't require the Zune PC Client, and if so, could you have a copy?

Actually, no - all 500 devices were loaded using the Zune PC client, with Targus 7-port hubs plugged into laptops (as many as the laptop had USB ports), and devices plugged into those hubs.

Cheers, Dave.
Color me shocked!

But, I'll give you "eating your own dogfood" props for inflicting that torture on yourself! ;) (Keep it up! Eventually, you'll DEMAND "lite" access!)

PS: Did you know that you can cascade USB hubs? (I think the maximum is something like 128 devices total per USB controller.) Just think of how FEW laptops you could do it with using that method (not to mention the money you'd save on heating the building! ;)
Reply With Quote

  #34  
Old 09-08-2010, 04:28 AM
DaveMac-MS DaveMac-MS is offline
Buddy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_k View Post
PS: Did you know that you can cascade USB hubs? (I think the maximum is something like 128 devices total per USB controller.) Just think of how FEW laptops you could do it with using that method (not to mention the money you'd save on heating the building!
Absolutely - but each time you cascade, you decrement the maximum throughput per connector. We found a happy medium cascading a few hubs, but doing so over a few "parallel" machines.

Cheers, Dave.
__________________
Please don't PM me - instead send an email!
Follow me on Twitter (@DaveMacMS)!
If you're a member of the Zune Social - friend me (AussieDaveMS)!
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.