android
Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Probably quite high.

Well, it's not like I need a Fuze so bad - a Clip+ is perfectly fine until someone imports some.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Probably quite high.

Well, it's not like I need a Fuze so bad - a Clip+ is perfectly fine until someone imports some.
I think the Clip+ is better. The only thing the Fuze has over it is a little more battery life and a color screen, and it has no volume buttons!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd like larger players, since I sometimes lose track of where I placed my Clip+. Now I just have them clipped to my shorts.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:42 PM

So, I finally got my Fuze today, and I already have some first impressions.
I've updated to firmware, I've put in the Micro SDHC and everything works like a charm.
I haven't installed RB on it yet, doubt I will in near future.
at the moment I'm really liking it.
Sound quality is awesome, FLAC files are splendid.
The UI is sweet as well, very easy and straightforward.
I can browse my folders with ease which I also like a lot.
EQ is,again,very useful and intuitive and good.

Only major downside I've found so far is that the Volume isn't strong enough.
that varies between files, but in general I'm finding my self almost maxing the volume in a pretty silent environment so that's a bit weird ...
In my old sasns E-280 I had the choice between normal and loud in volume, or something of that sort, that I couldn't find in this player, any thoughts ?

I'll update more along the line in terms of battery life and so forth, but atm I'm more than happy, especially given the price

Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Administrator

You're on the European settings it seems. Go to >Main Menu-> System Settings-> Reset Factory Settings-> Yes. Choose either North America or The Rest of the World. You'll the the High/Low settings in the Menu after that.

Glad you're enjoying it. Keep us posted.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
You're on the European settings it seems. Go to >Main Menu-> System Settings-> Reset Factory Settings-> Yes. Choose either North America or The Rest of the World. You'll the the High/Low settings in the Menu after that.

Glad you're enjoying it. Keep us posted.
Yup, that actually solved it.
Just my luck selecting the wrong location :P
Weird that it matters, but hey, it works now
Thanks buddy.
I'll probably listen to it a lot in the near future, and will tweak the EQ and other stuff around, so I'll keep you guys updated.

And yeah, I definitely like it so far, especially as I mentioned, because of it's price, I'm truly surprised how good it is and what a great value per $ it is

Old 09-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats man, the Fuze is indeed a mighty fine player. Enjoy it!

Get to know it first and then if you want, consider Rockbox.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Congrats man, the Fuze is indeed a mighty fine player. Enjoy it!

Get to know it first and then if you want, consider Rockbox.
Maybe along the road.
I'm still getting to know it, and at the moment I really like the UI and the sounds quality, so we will see how it goes.
As I said I want to listen to it more and adjust and play with all the settings first, and I'll see how that goes and will update in time.

Thanks again for all the help guys
I believe I made the right choice for me, in choosing the Fuze

Old 09-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

the fuze is an amazing little device for the money, RB makes it even more amazing, the fact that you can get a player for such a cheap price that sounds so good...well its amazing to many people.

I also think the low price is part of why the head-fi guys dont like sansa products, they are to cheap to be good in their minds.

just like anything but flac isnt good in many of their minds, hell we got one here(and on the sandisk forums) who thinks you need 24/96 flac support for stuff to sound good...LoL

Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggyCuppy View Post
the fuze is an amazing little device for the money, RB makes it even more amazing, the fact that you can get a player for such a cheap price that sounds so good...well its amazing to many people.

I also think the low price is part of why the head-fi guys dont like sansa products, they are to cheap to be good in their minds.

just like anything but flac isnt good in many of their minds, hell we got one here(and on the sandisk forums) who thinks you need 24/96 flac support for stuff to sound good...LoL
I'm more than satisfied with the current quality.
I was never used to super high quality, and the good player + FLAC + good headphones combo is a huge improvement to me.

Pardon me again, but what's so great about the RB ?
I heard it can improve battery life, but assuming I'm satisfied with current stats, what else can it offer me ?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

full studio quality parametric eq, crossfeed(i dont use it but alot of people love it), pretty much any tweak you can ask for is avalable, and unlike the sansa EQ it dosnt mess with volume or sound quality.

Personally I dont do flac for portable use, takes up to much space, eats batt life, and really is kinda pointless with formats like vorbis excist that can give you transparent sound at a fraction of the file size with far better batt life.

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/WhyRockbox

thats one example of what rockbox offers

heres even more good info

http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/FeatureComparison

take a look and see what rockbox offers yourself

Old 09-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Visually, Rockbox offers a pretty great variety of UI options in the form of themes. You can select from dozens or even make your own, plus you can mix and match elements from themes [e.g. I use one While Playing Screen [WPS] and a different Base Skin].

Also, RB offers infinite, full playlist management and creation.

But of course, the EQ and sound enhancements are pretty much all many folks need to opt for RB.

Still, I say enjoy your stock Fuze for a while. Bone up on what Rockbox can do and determine if its for you...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Administrator

@yoavbd123: Take a look at Why Rockbox? If there's nothing that just jumps off the list as a "must have" I would enjoy your player as is. Don't get me wrong, I have used Rockbox on various Sansas for about 3 years now. It works very well for me. On the Sansa e250 I have it's a necessity.

In the OF the firmware would corrupt between one boot and the next. It's limited to a 2 GB card and occasionally files just decided to stop playing. The equalizer is at best meh. If there were no Rockbox I would have ditched it long ago.

None of these things have occurred on the Sansas I've had since then. I have a Clip, Clip+ and a Fuze that have never been Rockboxed. I also have had at least one of each that has been Rockboxed. I enjoy the Rockboxed ones much more but any of the others are more than decent for grab and go listening.

After all it was the Sansa Clip and Clip+ that won top awards from here. Not the Rockboxed versions. The Fuze is just their bigger cousin with a screen and longer battery life. I'll forgive it's scroll wheel.

As each generation of Sansa firmware has come along it has addressed some, not all, of the shortcomings of the previous generation. The Clip+ has IMO come to the point where if there were no Rockbox I would miss it but still consider it my best pure music player.

For some reason some members have let their enthusiasm for Rockbox not let them see that they seem to be shoving it down the throats of people that may not be interested. Yes it brings a lot of features but it also brings the additional effort of getting those features set to your liking. That can be a lot of work. Or not. Rockbox in it's vanilla state is still pretty darn great for me.

I have given over 20 Sansas to people across the last 2 1/2 years. At some point or another I either put Rockbox on the player for them or showed then what Rockbox could do. It's still installed on all of 2 of them besides mine.

One of the people I gave a Rockboxed Fuze said quite simply that it was "too much damn work" to get it to their liking. All they wanted to do was put some tunes on it, charge it, turn it on and go. When I pointed out how simple it is to boot to the OF anytime they're response was essentially "why bother, if you get rid of it I'll have one less thing to remember, life's busy enough". I got lectured on forcing my "geek interests" on people that just wanted to listen to a few tunes while they commuted. I've since taken that to heart.

I've come to understand that while Rockbox is a be all, end all absolutely killer solution for me it's simply not needed for most users. Since I now understand that I can also see your reluctance to stop enjoying your player and having to start working on it instead.

Earlier in this thread I said
Snipped>
Quote:
It's a matter of thinking for yourself and not following just following the crowd.

Hang around. You'll get used to it. It's a great feeling.
Now's one of those times. Feel free to think for yourself.

Whichever way you decide to go if you pop back here and keep us up on how it's working for you I'm sure we'll be willing to help and interested in your progress. Have Fun.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
@yoavbd123: Take a look at Why Rockbox? If there's nothing that just jumps off the list as a "must have" I would enjoy your player as is. Don't get me wrong, I have used Rockbox on various Sansas for about 3 years now. It works very well for me. On the Sansa e250 I have it's a necessity.

In the OF the firmware would corrupt between one boot and the next. It's limited to a 2 GB card and occasionally files just decided to stop playing. The equalizer is at best meh. If there were no Rockbox I would have ditched it long ago.

None of these things have occurred on the Sansas I've had since then. I have a Clip, Clip+ and a Fuze that have never been Rockboxed. I also have had at least one of each that has been Rockboxed. I enjoy the Rockboxed ones much more but any of the others are more than decent for grab and go listening.

After all it was the Sansa Clip and Clip+ that won top awards from here. Not the Rockboxed versions. The Fuze is just their bigger cousin with a screen and longer battery life. I'll forgive it's scroll wheel.

As each generation of Sansa firmware has come along it has addressed some, not all, of the shortcomings of the previous generation. The Clip+ has IMO come to the point where if there were no Rockbox I would miss it but still consider it my best pure music player.

For some reason some members have let their enthusiasm for Rockbox not let them see that they seem to be shoving it down the throats of people that may not be interested. Yes it brings a lot of features but it also brings the additional effort of getting those features set to your liking. That can be a lot of work. Or not. Rockbox in it's vanilla state is still pretty darn great for me.

I have given over 20 Sansas to people across the last 2 1/2 years. At some point or another I either put Rockbox on the player for them or showed then what Rockbox could do. It's still installed on all of 2 of them besides mine.

One of the people I gave a Rockboxed Fuze said quite simply that it was "too much damn work" to get it to their liking. All they wanted to do was put some tunes on it, charge it, turn it on and go. When I pointed out how simple it is to boot to the OF anytime they're response was essentially "why bother, if you get rid of it I'll have one less thing to remember, life's busy enough". I got lectured on forcing my "geek interests" on people that just wanted to listen to a few tunes while they commuted. I've since taken that to heart.

I've come to understand that while Rockbox is a be all, end all absolutely killer solution for me it's simply not needed for most users. Since I now understand that I can also see your reluctance to stop enjoying your player and having to start working on it instead.

Earlier in this thread I said
Snipped>
Now's one of those times. Feel free to think for yourself.

Whichever way you decide to go if you pop back here and keep us up on how it's working for you I'm sure we'll be willing to help and interested in your progress. Have Fun.
Well said.bravo-009.gifrespect-040.GIF

Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@ skip252: I am in a quandary - I cannot give you positive reputation for that last post as I already have done that for another of yours.

skip252 is absolutely right on all points re: Rockbox.

I sure hope I am not one of those blind RB evangelists - for my own part here, I do try to make sure people understand that RB requires some real effort on the owner's part and doesn't come without some small risk of irreparable damage. For sure, RB for me is a delight, but is indeed not for everyone.

kudos once again for being so level-headed and reasonable in your advice skip252.
-lestatar
sure
A Glossary for Newbies