android
Old 07-28-2010, 04:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm sad to say that my first Zune has disappointed me. It has disappointed me for a couple of reasons. But one of the big reasons is because of the slow development....it takes MS 4 months to release a new app...and another 6 months to release a new firmware update. Now this is not the only reason why I'm disappointed, another reason why is because of the lack of common media features, such as custom EQ, support for more file formats, and easy creating, editing, and deleting of playlists on device, as well as having to use the Zune software in order to sync anything. Due to these reasons, I will probably be leaving the Zune party. I'm not keeping my hopes up for this update. What I'm going to do is wait for the next update (whenever that will be), and if there is any new features that I need (such as a custom EQ or easy playlist creating, editing, and deleting), then I will stick with Zune, if things look like they're going better. If there isn't anything good new, then I'm sad to say that I will be selling my Zune on this forum, and if no luck here, sell it at someplace like craigslist or eBay, and once it's sold, buy myself a Cowon S9. Sorry Microsoft, but MP3 players are not what you are best at.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-28-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briankealing View Post
What I'd really like to see is some of the WP7 features in Zune, and I mean, the smoother animations - the WP7 demos look so slick, it makes the zune look like trying to cut wood with a knife, instead of cutting butter.

You forget that Zune HD doesn't have the same hardware with WP7 test units..

...also, i think that the animations are already very smooth...

Old 07-28-2010, 05:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuniq View Post
You forget that Zune HD doesn't have the same hardware with WP7 test units..

...also, i think that the animations are already very smooth...
They could make a version of the WP7 firmware that's compatible with the Zune HD hardware, but it's highly unlikely. And I agree, for the most part the animations are smooth and lag free, there is, however, a lag and freeze here and there which requires a restart, but not that often.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
They could make a version of the WP7 firmware that's compatible with the Zune HD hardware, but it's highly unlikely. And I agree, for the most part the animations are smooth and lag free, there is, however, a lag and freeze here and there which requires a restart, but not that often.
the hardware requirements for WP7 are pretty tall, including a 1GHz processor min...
"There is a single Windows Phone 7 hardware specification. Developers can count on the fact that all Windows Phone 7 Series hardware will include; a powerful processor, 256 MB of RAM with a minimum of 4 GB Flash, 802.11 b/g wireless), 4 point, true multi-touch capacitive only screen and 5 sensors (A-GPS, accelerometer, compass, proximity and light)."
Quote snipped from here: http://www.wmexperts.com/your-questi...brandon-watson He doesn't mention it, but I've seen credible reports suggesting the 'powerful processor' is 1GHz min., which beats Tegra (6 to 750MHz... It takes Tegra 2 to get to 1Gig..) Part of that speed bump is to allow multi-tasking, which they constantly tease about (iPhone multi-tasks, so 'teasing' is an easy way to say yes without saying yes...)
So, I agree with your 'unlikely' statement. But, I'd bet they take advantage of interesting parts...

Old 07-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezune16 View Post
when have they ever had a software update without updating the Zune firmware to match...
A few times. Likewise, there have been firmware updates without software updates.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:04 AM

UPDATE: according to the Zune Insider podcast, the update is "for windows phone 7. There won't be an update to the Zune HD."

Tags
zune 4.7