android
Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 AM

Thumb Up Sansa Clip+ 1, Stupidity 0

I took my clean clothes out of the washing machine yesterday, only to hear something small and plastic clatter to the floor... my Clip+!

My first thought was to take it apart and allow all the components to dry out. Fortunately I found the disassembly article (thanks for that) so I was able to dismantle the Clip without damaging it, that is, any more than it already was damaged

A few hours later everything had been put back together but the clip seemed to be dead - nothing happened when pressing the power button. Not too surprised, I wondered if the flash memory was still readable so connected it to my computer.

How happy was I when the screen lit up appeared and everything worked as usual? A couple of hours on charge and it's back to normal operation!

Last edited by limawhiskey; 08-15-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-15-2010, 11:37 AM

So the Clip+ is now also washable ??

Old 08-15-2010, 11:40 AM

If you stone-wash it like those fugly 1980ies jeans, it might look like the Sony X.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 PM

Try tie dye for that 60’s look

Edit: no seriously it’s nice you got it working

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Yeah you did the right thing, don't turn it on until it's completely dry again. But I'm not sure if it was necessary to disassemble it.

Anyway congratulations on getting it working again

Old 08-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Agree with Brett_val: some miracles with stuff like this can happen, if one is patient enough to make sure the device is completely dried out before trying to charge it/turn it on again.

Congratulations on the recovery - I am also sure you will be much more careful with your pre-laundry checks going forward. :-)
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-15-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_val View Post
So the Clip+ is now also washable ??
Apparently so. Sign of a quality product. In fact, why isn't this one of the review criteria?

I can't believe I got away with it. I definitely will be checking twice in future.

I took it apart so that I could get it dry as quickly as possible, trying to prevent any corrosion.

On the plus side it now smells much better!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

JUst a thought. If this ever happens again to someone with their electronics, and disassembly to facilitate drying is not an option...

I have read that you can fill a ziplock bag with rice and put the wet device inside, sealing the bag. Rice is a dessicant and can help to absorb the moisture from your wet electronic devices.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Default Drying Your Cleaned Sansa

Either silica gel or some basic dry rice will do the trick. The biggest danger to your Sansa is the household clothes dryer, actually, as the display and battery do not fare very well in the high temperatures within.

If you inadvertently wash the Clip, a few days in a warm and dry location is the hot ticket.

Bob

Old 08-21-2010, 03:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you put it in rice, leave the whole set up alone. Don't shake it - rice is quite hard, and could scratch your player quite a fair bit.

Most modern flash based electronics SHOULD survive contact with water if it was A - entered water while off and B - not turned on while wet.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
JUst a thought. If this ever happens again to someone with their electronics, and disassembly to facilitate drying is not an option...

I have read that you can fill a ziplock bag with rice and put the wet device inside, sealing the bag. Rice is a dessicant and can help to absorb the moisture from your wet electronic devices.
Yeah, you can dry anything given dry air and enough time. Disassembly is not necessary.

The reason you want to disassemble your device is because you want to dry it as quickly as possible. You want to dry things fast because, the longer it stays wet, the more exposed contacts will corrode. If you are the clumsy / forgetful type, then minimizing corrosion should be very important to you, because that can permanently kill your device.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lol I'm impressed with that reliability! It could have been complete luck that it worked. I love SanDisk products, they're cheap, high quality and very reliable. I myself would have never ever leaved any of my players in the wash.....

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 AM

Dropped mine in a bathtub full of water in the ON position. Used a hair dryer on cool position to dry it out for about 5 minutes. Hooked it up to the computer and all good.