android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 08-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
These Sony hybrid tips sound very interesting. Is there a way to easily determine which earphones they are likely to fit?

For example, I have JVC Marshmallows, and JVC Air Cushions. Would they be appropriate for them?

Thanks, Steve
Hey Steve, unfortunately I was unable to get the Hybrids to fit on the Marshmallows I bought for my mom. She needs the smaller tip sizes which I don't need so I gave it a whirl. No dice.

Though to be fair, I was kinda drunk that night - I will give it another shot this weekend and report back for you.

As for getting them to fit on the VBs, yeah it was a bit of a struggle for a few mins, but I got em on with no probs, on the runway in a plane no less. Not sure why JxK couldn't get em on - maybe his batch of Hybrids was a less flexible silicon somehow? [though yeah, I know this is, pardon the pun, a "stretch"]...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-22-2010, 06:01 AM

I used a drop of water on the nozzles of 5mm diameter phones to get the Hybrids on. The only phones I'm still using them with are the Hippo Boom, though - all others I prefer the Super.Fi tips with.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I used a drop of water on the nozzles of 5mm diameter phones to get the Hybrids on. The only phones I'm still using them with are the Hippo Boom, though - all others I prefer the Super.Fi tips with.
Hmm, given this, I might have to get myself a pair of Super.Fi tips myself soon.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
These Sony hybrid tips sound very interesting. Is there a way to easily determine which earphones they are likely to fit?

For example, I have JVC Marshmallows, and JVC Air Cushions. Would they be appropriate for them?

Thanks, Steve
Hey Steve, good news!

Believe it or not, I was able to get the Hybrids onto the JVC Marshmallow nozzles. They fit pretty well! My mom's pair just got upgraded.

How I did it:
The JVC nozzles are pretty fat, much fatter than the VBs and even any of my other IEMs.

I could not get the tips on normally, meaning just sticking/sliding them on.

However, I came up with the semi-brilliant idea to invert [flip inside out the Sony tips]. Then I was pretty easily able to slip them onto the JVC nozzles.

You must be careful not to tear the Hybrids as they are kinda thin, but you should be fine if you do as above. The inner tube of the Hybrids are stiffer than the tips themselves - if you grasp the inverted tip in your fingers, you can wiggle them onto the JVC nozzles via some twist/rotation action.

Also be sure to push the Hybrid tips as far down the JVC nozzle as you can - the super smooth plastic material of the JVC nozzles don't allow for the best "grippage" for the Hybrids. While the Hybrids do stay on fine if you push them down far enough, there is a small chance the tip can slip off [hopefully not in your ear] during IEM removal from ear. Perhaps roughing up the surface of the JVC nozzles with some sandpaper would help here!

I tried it a dozen times in my own ears before giving it to mom though and I judge my install to be fine as the Hybrids stayed perfectly on the nozzle.

@JxK:The above inversion thing is also another way for you to try and get the Hybrids on your VBs if you still care to try [and you didn't try this method already].

FWIW...
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 08-22-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lestatar:

Thank you for all your work and info. But given dfkt's preference for the super.fi tips, I better mention that UE tips are what are currently on my Marshmallows, so I think that I won't be spending money to change them.

I have some more UE tips that I'll try on the Air Cushions, but they're probably the wrong size (look like Small, and Large). So I guess I'll be looking for a good place to more UE tips.

Steve

Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Eh, no worries Steve. Perhaps this info will be useful to others.

Maybe I should look into those super.fi tips as well - darn dfkt, always making me spend money lol
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, he caused me to blow $125 on the Panasonics, and possibly even more on the UE tips and Hybrids. -.-

He should charge commissions from companies. ;D

Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM

Just received my Sony Hybrids. The construction is good and I can't detect any flaws in them that could yell: "I'M FAKE!"

I already tried them with my RE0 and I notice some difference in the sound. Now it's more clear than before and less dark, but the thing I really like is the fact that now I'm receiving a balanced sound with the same signature in both my ears.

Before I had them, as I previously said, I was using large double flange on my left ear and medium single flange on my right ear, because that was the only way I could get a nice fit. The problem is that my left ear was getting a dark, muffed sound and the right one a thin and clear sound.
At the time that really bugged me and I even thought my RE0 had some kind of problem.

Now things got much better since I'm using big hybrid on my left ear and medium hybrid on my right ear. The seal on the left ear isn't perfect, I would like XL sony hybrids on that, but it seams they don't exist.

It was a good buy, since it only cost me 4.39 with shipping included to Portugal.

Thank you all for the opinions.