android
Old 08-26-2010, 08:26 PM

Default All we need is html5 support in the browser now

Just saw this article today. ZuneHD already supports h.264 video so if MS could implement html5 into the browser, we could access m.youtube.com

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20014864-264.html

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-26-2010, 08:33 PM

Mm. We can all wish. But MS is clamped shut about whatever next release there could be...

Dear Dave,
Is the next Zune Firmware still being worked on as we speak, or has it been set aside for the 4.7 software release?
Sincerely
A concerned Zune user.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

I'll simply quote what was posted in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
HTML5 support won't ever happen on the current revision of the Zune HD. If there's a Zune HD2 this year, it too likely will never see HTML5 support. The current Zune HD is use IE6 Mobile, which has hit end of life in terms of development (MS dropped it a few months back). The latest version in WinMo 6.5.3 (which is still a bit more advanced than the ZHD browser, so there is still room for updates) does not feature HTML 5 compatibility.

Also, the web browser in WP6 is IE7 Mobile with elements of IE8 mixed in. It too does not support HTML5 (that's right folks, no HTML5 support on WP7!). IE9 is the first desktop browser from MS that will support HTML5. No idea when this will hit their mobile OS.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM

How about Microsoft just make a YouTube app like everyone else... =/

Old 08-26-2010, 09:50 PM

The only way the Zune HD would get HTML5 was if the IE9 engine was ported to it. As that isn't even done yet and the Zune team doesn't have the resources to do so if it was, it isn't going to happen.

Lets see it come to WP7 first.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I'll simply quote what was posted in another thread.
The Zune HD's browser is not based on IE6. It too is based on IE7 as stated by a member of the Zune team. I realize its a big thing to say "all we need is html5 support" and I know it will almost certainly not be implemented by MS but if someone could build an OpenZDK browser, it would be possible.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomRoot13 View Post
The Zune HD's browser is not based on IE6. It too is based on IE7 as stated by a member of the Zune team. I realize its a big thing to say "all we need is html5 support" and I know it will almost certainly not be implemented by MS but if someone could build an OpenZDK browser, it would be possible.
Sorry bud, but the browser in the Zune HD is the same IE6 mobile in Windows Mobile 6.5, tweaked a bit for the Zune HD. IE7 mobile is still being finalized in development (it's used in WP7), but is feature complete. Both the web browser's in the Zune HD and on Windows Mobile 6.5 score a 5 (yes, five) on the Acid3 test, as I've confirmed in a separate review. IE Mobile 7 scores a 12, currently.

Now, if you have a link to that Zune team member's statement about Zune HD using IE7, I'd love to see it.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Sorry bud, but the browser in the Zune HD is the same IE6 mobile in Windows Mobile 6.5, tweaked a bit for the Zune HD. IE7 mobile is still being finalized in development (it's used in WP7), but is feature complete. Both the web browser's in the Zune HD and on Windows Mobile 6.5 score a 5 (yes, five) on the Acid3 test, as I've confirmed in a separate review. IE Mobile 7 scores a 12, currently.

Now, if you have a link to that Zune team member's statement about Zune HD using IE7, I'd love to see it.
Think he just misunderstood you; probably just thought you meant IE6 (as in, the desktop version that STILL lives) instead of IEM6. Then again, I could be wrong. Let's all use correct labels, shall we?

But it would be nice to get IE7 Mobile on the Zune HD. Not holding out on it though. I'm quite satisfied with my excellent media player.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
Think he just misunderstood you; probably just thought you meant IE6 (as in, the desktop version that STILL lives) instead of IEM6. Then again, I could be wrong. Let's all use correct labels, shall we?
In both posts I referred to them as IE6 mobile and IE7 mobile. However, even if I had referred to it as IE6...I still would have been correct. IE6 Mobile uses Internet Explorer 6's Trident rendering engine (and uses IE8's JScript engine). IE7 Mobile uses IE7's Trident engine.

Anyone who thinks that the Zune HD uses IE7 Mobile is mistaken.

Old 08-29-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
In both posts I referred to them as IE6 mobile and IE7 mobile. However, even if I had referred to it as IE6...I still would have been correct. IE6 Mobile uses Internet Explorer 6's Trident rendering engine (and uses IE8's JScript engine). IE7 Mobile uses IE7's Trident engine.

Anyone who thinks that the Zune HD uses IE7 Mobile is mistaken.
Wouldn't it be nice if we got IE7 Mobile from Microsoft in a firmware update?

Old 08-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if we got IE7 Mobile from Microsoft in a firmware update?
Sure, I'd love it, but it won't happen. IE6 Mobile and WinCE6 are essentially married. However, IE7 Mobile is supposed to allow for layout engine upgrades within the same OS, so WP7 won't have this limitation.

Only way the Zune HD gets a new browser is if the Zune HD gets a new Os, or if an app developer manages to make a browser in XNA for it, both of which are unlikely.

On the plus side, the last version of Windows Mobile 6.5 (6.5.3) still has some minor updates to the web browser that the Zune HD can benefit from. However, HTML5 compatibility and tabbed browsing aren't on the list.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Sure, I'd love it, but it won't happen. IE6 Mobile and WinCE6 are essentially married. However, IE7 Mobile is supposed to allow for layout engine upgrades within the same OS, so WP7 won't have this limitation.

Only way the Zune HD gets a new browser is if the Zune HD gets a new Os, or if an app developer manages to make a browser in XNA for it, both of which are unlikely.

On the plus side, the last version of Windows Mobile 6.5 (6.5.3) still has some minor updates to the web browser that the Zune HD can benefit from. However, HTML5 compatibility and tabbed browsing aren't on the list.
WE CAN HOPE. Hahaha . . .

In all honesty, I would really just like a damn forward button.