android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Xtra / Touch

Old 08-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Default Zen Xtra 40 gig won't accept an update from firmware, won't pass EAX logo, etc.

The topic title is self explanatory. My Zen's been fine for a year or so (since I got it) but earlier today it wouldn't pass the "EAX" logo. So after letting the battery die and trying to restart it (to see if this was a battery issue) I finally entered into the Service mode, deleted everything, and proceeded to load a new firmware (latest one). So while I think everything is going good and it's updating that wonderful EAX logo comes up and hangs with the firmware update hanged as well. Is this player pretty much trash now?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Stopping at the EAX logo is almost always a power issue. Not enough juice to finish booting.

The Xtra has a laptop hard drive that takes a significant amount of current to start up. After a few years, my Creative charger would no longer supply enough current to boot the player. Everything looked fine; it just no longer had the oomph to get the drive spinning, so the boot process stopped during the EAX logo display and restarted the loop. IIRC, it takes an amp or an amp and a half for this thing.

Buy yourself a new charger (a charger designed for the Play Station Portable will work fine (~ $10 at Radio Shack or Game Stop)), cross your fingers and if it won't boot due to a firmware error (it'll tell you if that's the problem) retry the firmware upgrade.

A good rule going forward is never upgrade the firmware on anything unless it's to add a new feature or correct a firmware bug. The electronics graveyard is full of equipment that was working just fine until somebody decided to do an unnecessary firmware upgrade.

HTH,
Oskar

Old 08-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Okay, I'll try that. Don't think I addressed this but I originally tried the cleanup and format options first and the EAX problem persisted so I looked around a bit online and tired the firmware upgrade; same problem with the freeze. I guess I'll let it charge then see what happens.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Nope, didn't work. Had it charged. Uploaded the oldest firmware, it completed, still froze at EAX screen. Yeah, I'm guessing it's broke. I might as well take out the HDD and see if I can buy an enclosure for it.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:14 AM

What exactly do you mean by "had it charged"? Did you use the same charger? Is it the Creative charger that came with it?

If so, you should really try another charger before gutting the player. A 40GB external drive probably isn't worth the cost of the case (~$20 for the case vs $50 for a new 320GB external drive).

Old 08-25-2010, 06:24 PM

Both the Creative and the PSP charger work just fine. All three bars were charged on the device. It'd be nice if I could flash a hacked OS on the device (rockbox, etc.) but I'm afraid the player is dead.