android
Old 08-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Honest Opinions- Zune Pass

Hey all- long time lurker/first post yada yada... Need some opinions.

I am a Zune HD user/Zune Pass user since HD launch.
I was a looooooong time Windows CE/Mobile user from the days of the Philips Nino, through HTC's run on WinMo phones.

I recently jumped WinMo's ship and swam over to a Droid Incredible. I love this freakin phone.
My original intent was to go with Win Phone 7 when it came out because of my Zune Pass. I can't carry two devices so the HD would be retired at this point.
I could care less about apps with my HD. On my phone though, apps are EXTREMELY important to me. Not games so much but utilities.

Android apps are great and choices are plentiful. I have always hated Apple. I'm an Apple hater supreme, so any iGarbage is out.
Here's where I'd like some opinions:

Do you think the Win Phone 7 app choices are going to be as poor and as slow to come out as what we have all seen on the Zune?

I'm sure there will be more quantity than the Zune, but let's face it- if you are into the Zune for apps, you are not a happy person.

My current dream would be for Microsoft to release a Zune app for Android. Holy cow would that be sweet- my Zune Pass would never get canceled!

I'm honestly kinda hesitant to jump to Win Phone 7 after watching WinMo 6.x just die a slow death, the KIN phones implode into a black hole, Courier get killed off, etc etc....
Thoughts?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM

My thoughts are that MS should make the Zune interface (with optional Zune Pass capability) an app for every device out there.

But, of course, I do not think they will ever do that.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM

wp7 apps will definitely be out faster than zune. As for the choices, well have to wait and see.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:48 PM

I'm not up for a new phone till January so it will be easy to judge by then if I should go for an android or win7 phone. I really like the win7 phones but if it's low on features...hmmm...

Old 08-14-2010, 06:46 AM

No waiting. Many teams have already announced what they're working on:
http://www.1800pocketpc.com/tag/windows-phone-7-apps
http://www.1800pocketpc.com/tag/windows-phone-7-game

Old 08-17-2010, 11:30 AM

If MS wants WinPhone7 to succeed, they will have an adequate list of games, utility apps and basic features available at launch.

It sounds as though there will be 60 games available at launch and the app store will be open to public submission, unlike what Zune HD has right now.

I don't know how much more clear it can be to them with the constant whining for Apps on the Zune HD that they are a key element to customer satisfaction. Apple has set a standard for the industry of Portable Devices and Apps are a fundamental part of that standard.

I highly doubt the Zune software will be bundled into an App for use on anything other than WinPhone7 or Zune devices. Doesn't seem like a MS thing to do...

Old 08-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenPT View Post
[snipped]
I highly doubt the Zune software will be bundled into an App for use on anything other than WinPhone7 or Zune devices. Doesn't seem like a MS thing to do...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stujoe View Post
My thoughts are that MS should make the Zune interface (with optional Zune Pass capability) an app for every device out there.

But, of course, I do not think they will ever do that.
Agreed. and why...? Zune services are something that make WP7 phones more attractive. It would therefore dilute WP7's attraction to phone makers to do that...

Old 08-18-2010, 06:15 PM

Assuming WP7 is a hit, maybe. But, that is a big assumption. They have a $15 a month subscription tied to the Zune (which most people don't even know about), the Kin (which is already axed) and WP7 (which is a big unknown). Limited market to say the least.

I am just wishing, really, though, because I am unsure of the Zune's future and don't want a WP7 Phone but love the Zune Pass and want an option for it a couple years down the line.