android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 05-19-2010, 05:56 AM

I got my 8GB Clip+ a few weeks ago so I still have the instructions handy. It says the clip plays microSD and microSDHC - up to 16GB!

I don't know if this size limitation is just b/c at the time of printing the instructions bigger SD cards were not available or whether this has practical implications...I seem to remember reading that someone had a problem with the number of files on the Clip and I think the limit was somewhere around 5,000 music files which the clip can handle.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaski View Post
I seem to remember reading that someone had a problem with the number of files on the Clip and I think the limit was somewhere around 5,000 music files which the clip can handle.
The limit is 8,000.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I know we all hear differently, have varying ideas on what constitutes "quality" sound and probably use different encoding schemes, etc... - but I have been using DAPs for a long long time and have never even come close to any manufacturer's specs re: the maximum number of songs I can put on any given player.

More like 1/3 or a bit better for me - I am obviously shortchanging myself quite a bit, but the truth is I am simply too damm lazy to re-encode stuff just for exclusive use on my portables.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-19-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
...I have been using DAPs for a long long time and have never even come close to any manufacturer's specs re: the maximum number of songs I can put on any given player.

More like 1/3 or a bit better for me...
My Creative 256 Mb MuVo TX and 20 Gb Jukebox both came close capacity-wise (~95%), but because I have a lot of audio books and 30-minute podcasts, I hit the upper limit of memory capacity before I get anywhere near most file number limitations.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:44 AM

Has anyone tried a Memory2Go 16gb card in the Sansa Clip+?

After my last experience with a PNY 8gb card that failed to work I'm a bit hesitant to buy any other card than a SanDisk branded one, but the price on the 16gb cards is taking so low to come down

Old 06-22-2010, 05:28 PM

8gb SanDisk with Cliplus. Works great.
3,100 192kbps mp3s on the 16gb total. Fresh.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think HallAnthony was asking about the specific Memory2Go branded 16GB card, but thanks for the feedback bayoubots!

@HallAnthony, I have never tried that brand, but I have had poor results with Polaroid cards in the past on my various devices [tho to be fair, others have been fine with them].

Sandisk is usually my first choice as most of my cards are from them. However, I also have Kingston which have been great and I also just grabbed a couple of Toshibas which I have high hopes for [got em in Hong Kong]...

That's about all I can tell ya - basically tho, IMO, any globally branded/reputable card will be fine. With stuff like this, ask yourself: how valuable is your data/time to look to save a few bucks on a cheaper, possibly lesser brand card?

my 2 cents of course and YMMV...
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 07-07-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: remove product bolding

Old 06-24-2010, 05:40 PM

I'm using the PNY 16GB microSD card from play.com and it's working great so far.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
I think HallAnthony was asking about the specific Memory2Go branded 16GB card, but thanks for the feedback bayoubots!

@HallAnthony, I have never tried that brand, but I have had poor results with Polaroid cards in the past on my various devices [tho to be fair, others have been fine with them].

Sandisk is usually my first choice as most of my cards are from them. However, I also have Kingston which have been great and I also just grabbed a couple of Toshibas which I have high hopes for [got em in Hong Kong]...

That's about all I can tell ya - basically tho, IMO, any globally branded/reputable card will be fine. With stuff like this, ask yourself: how valuable is your data/time to look to save a few bucks on a cheaper, possibly lesser brand card?

my 2 cents of course and YMMV...
-lestatar
Of note.....I don't know if it is the case with Rockbox installed, but with the Sansa Fuze OF, Kingston cards have been known to be good for audio but not video.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the different cards, perhaps I'll give the Memory2Go one a try as it's quite a bit cheaper than a Sandisk at 21.59

Old 08-16-2010, 05:33 AM

Just bought an 8GB card for my daughter's Clip+, and I'm having no success at all. No problem loading music onto it from the PC, but the Clip+ menu sees no music on it. Clip+ system settings show the card, and show space is used, and the same MP3s work fine in the main memory. I'm running on 1.02.13F in MSC mode. And no it's not a Sandisk card! Any ideas anyone? Anyone had a similar problem?

Update: I've now tried with an 8GB Sandisk card, and have the same problem. Both cards work fine in a phone.

Last edited by Splatcher; 08-16-2010 at 05:44 AM.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
Just bought an 8GB card for my daughter's Clip+, and I'm having no success at all. No problem loading music onto it from the PC, but the Clip+ menu sees no music on it. Clip+ system settings show the card, and show space is used, and the same MP3s work fine in the main memory. I'm running on 1.02.13F in MSC mode. And no it's not a Sandisk card! Any ideas anyone? Anyone had a similar problem?

Update: I've now tried with an 8GB Sandisk card, and have the same problem. Both cards work fine in a phone.
Read this, especially post #6: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56895

Old 08-16-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Thanks dkft: apologies for missing that thread. I spent a while searching for anything relevant but missed that one. Unfortunately that hasn't fixed the problem though. I downloaded the formatter, formatted the card with full/erase/off, put the music back, and the Clip+ still doesn't see it. Is there anything I should know about folder names or anything? I've just created a MUSIC folder and an AUDIOBOOKS folder & put stuff in those, which looks similar to the main memory setup.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The folder structure shouldn't matter, it should work in any case. Might this be an MSC/MTP transfer issue? For example, is your Clip connected to your PC in MTP mode, but did you load the files on your card with an external card reader in MSC mode? This is just a shot in the dark, though...

Old 08-16-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The folder structure shouldn't matter, it should work in any case. Might this be an MSC/MTP transfer issue? For example, is your Clip connected to your PC in MTP mode, but did you load the files on your card with an external card reader in MSC mode? This is just a shot in the dark, though...
It shouldn't be. The Clip+ is in MSC mode. The first time I loaded in MSC mode with the card in the Clip+. After the formatting I loaded the music with the card plugged into my PC slot via a SanDisk adapter, so it'll be in MSC mode again.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you inserting the card when the player is off? A card should only be inserted in the player or removed from the player when the player is off.
Are you inserting the card all the way, and does the card click into place? On the Clip+ the card should stick out just a tiny amount when it is fully inserted.