android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 AM

Default (frozen colors and snow) same "defect" on replacement as my first J3??

(i decided to make this it's own thread, as the other thread and title is of a different scope)

after waiting almost a month for my replacement, this device is actually doing the same/very-similar thing my previous one had to be sent back for.

if i try to access my music or pictures (either via "music"/"pictures" or "browser") it goes into a frozen mess of colored bars and snow, either turning itself right off immediately or needing a reset to turn off.

i can do a few tedious things on it, like play hunter, use radio, or switch between the 2 icon-based menu styles (if i try to switch to the list style, the same disaster happens). video section says "No Files" even though there are actually 4 or 5 working video files in there. when browsing the files and folders via windows explorer, i confirmed that the music, pictures, etc all still work...if only it didn't crash when i tried to browse to them.

i don't know if this is related or just a red herring but this time it seemed to start when i downgraded from 2.21 to 2.10. After 2.10 successfully installed, it shut itself off, when i turned it back on, i got that colorful snow disaster immediately. when i upgraded back to 2.21, i got to the point i'm at now, where i can see my desktop and use some features.

when it happened to my last player, 2.10 was the newest version, it's what i was running, and (like this time with 2.10), i couldn't even reach my desktop before the revolt.

when Cowon received it, they concluded (or at least told me) it was a defective screen. i'm beginning to second-guess that, or absolutely dumbfounded that i got 2 defective screens in a row?

(the last thing i want to do is pay more $ to send it to Cali for another month, only to have it happen once again...hoping there's another solution)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 PM

FIXED!

i reformatted it using this SD Formatter that people seem to prefer: http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

(maybe i could have just used Mac OS or Windows default formatting methods, but i just figured i'd go with what people recommend)

all's fine and dandy now...for now.

i still don't know what the cause was, so it could happen again.

Last edited by Jonatello; 08-16-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: for title

Old 08-16-2010, 03:32 PM

can one assume that you use both a mac and a pc?

if so, it could be that mac os is causing the problems, apple software tends to lay some unwanted eggs (in form of hidden files) into devices it interacts with (should be deleted when safely removed), the J3 can't figure them out and freezes.

as you formatted the drive and the files where erased and all was working well.

i think there was some other guy that had the same problem, try searching in the J3 for white or flicker-ing screen.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
can one assume that you use both a mac and a pc?

if so, it could be that mac os is causing the problems, apple software tends to lay some unwanted eggs (in form of hidden files) into devices it interacts with (should be deleted when safely removed), the J3 can't figure them out and freezes.

as you formatted the drive and the files where erased and all was working well.

i think there was some other guy that had the same problem, try searching in the J3 for white or flicker-ing screen.
yeah i'm thinking this mac thing might be the issue. you're correct, i use both mac and pc. i'm making sure now to search for and erase any and all DS_Store and Trashes file i can find when on the pc. i'm not even sure that's the culprit but i guess i'm hoping its helping?