android
Old 08-09-2010, 10:54 PM

Help Converting Video by Dragging and Dropping

Greetings,

I recently tried to convert some video to put on my E345. I got the specs from the manual and used a video editing program to do the conversion. It worked fine. But shortly after that I accidentally tried to drag an mp4 file to my E345. I was surprised to see a dialog box pop up asking me if I wanted to have the video converted before it was copied. I answered yes and everything worked fine, just as before.

I have a few questions: if I understand the protocol and I'm using the correct terminology, I'm using the MTP protocol to access the E345 (I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit and I have *not* installed the Sony media software that came with the unit; I'm using Windows Explorer to drag and drop files to the E345).

What software is recognizing the need for the conversion? Is it Explorer or is it an E345 driver? And what software is doing the actual conversion? It must be something intimately associated with the E345 since it knows to convert the video to .wmp with the correct parameters.

I will continue to do this drag-drop-convert process since it's a lot faster than my video program although I presume they are both using the same codec to do the conversion.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey drv, welcome to ABi :-)

You have a pretty interesting thing going on there :-)

I don't have Win7/Vista - still on XP. However, I am willing to take a stab at what seems to be happening when you accidentally dragged and dropped that mp4 file [of course, I could be waaaaay off base so take it FWIW...pure speculation].

I think that the Sony E is recognizing the foreign mp4 file immediately under drag/drop. Since the E only works with WMV vid files, perhaps the hardware itself is making a call/reference to the Sony Content Manager software [even tho, like me, you have not installed it].

BTW, I think that you are able to see WALKMAN under Win Explorer in Win7 because Win7 comes with WMP 10 or 11 pre-installed right? Or did you update WMP to 10 or 11 at some point? My own non-scientific tests have indicated that the Sony E/S series will indeed come up in Win Explorer as WALKMAN devices if WMP 10 or 11 is installed. On my own XP SP2 PCs, without WMP 10 or 11, I cannot see my Sony E under WinExplorer - I can only access it using MTP protocol and Winamp [but this combination actually works much better for me].

Anyway, like I said, I could be waaaaay off base.

But bottom line, stuff works for you, so don't question it :-)

cheers and enjoy the E, a fine little player,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Win 7 comes with WMP12.....and there are people out there, believe it or not, that jump through hoops to downgrade to WMP11(I understand it's a PITA to do)...I sh1t you not.

I'm pretty sure that it is actually Win 7 itself that handles the conversion. I just plugged in my E, opened up the videos folder which was empty, and initiated a copy and paste of an mp4 video I got from YouTube onto the E. I got that same question, did I want to copy and convert, and sure enough, it converted to a wmv file, of almost identical file size, and the picture and sound don't seem to have suffered at all!

So lestatar, still want to stick with XP?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

LOL...point taken, but for now, XP SP 2 suits me just fine, especially with my good but oldish hardware.

However, still not convinced it is Win7 asking about video conversions. I mean, why would it? Why would the OS care what format the video is for a completely separate hardware device like the Sony E?

See what I am saying?

Still, you could very well be right...for a change ;-)
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-10-2010, 01:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
LOL...point taken, but for now, XP SP 2 suits me just fine, especially with my good but oldish hardware.

However, still not convinced it is Win7 asking about video conversions. I mean, why would it? Why would the OS care what format the video is for a completely separate hardware device like the Sony E?

See what I am saying?

Still, you could very well be right...for a change ;-)
Why would it? Because the player operates under the MTP protocol, perhaps? I don't know what else it could be.....Content Transfer is not installed, so what else could be doing it? I suspect the answer might be somewhere in the manual of the E, but I don't have that anymore, so I couldn't say for sure.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmm, i do have the Sony E manual in PDF. Here is what it says - after reading it, it still kinda tells me nothing. :-)

 Transferring Videos/Photos Using Windows Explorer
You can directly transfer data by drag-and-drop using Windows Explorer on
your computer.
Playable data hierarchy has rules. To transfer data properly, see the following
instructions.
 Hint
 Some WMV files can be played back only by transferring using Windows Media Player
 Some computers that already have Windows Media Player 10 installed may encounter a limitation on the number of files (AAC, video files, etc.) that can be transferred by drag and drop. If you install Windows Media Player 11 from the Windows Media Player download site, you can solve this problem, allowing you to transfer by drag-and-drop again. Before installing Windows Media Player 11 on your computer, make sure to check whether your software or service corresponds to Windows Media Player 11.

Note
 Data hierarchy may differ, depending on your computer environment.
 Do not disconnect the USB cable while [Do not disconnect.] appears on the player, as the data being transferred may be damaged. If the player is disconnected while files are being transferred, unnecessary files may be left in the player. In this case, transfer usable files back to the computer and format the player ( p. 79).
 Do not change folder names or delete the [MUSIC], [MP_ROOT], [MPE_ROOT],
[VIDEO], [PICTURE] and [PICTURES] folders.
 Do not change folder or file names directly under the [MP_ROOT] and [MPE_ROOT]
folders. Otherwise, they will not be displayed on the player.
 Some files may not be played back on the player due to copyright protection. Although you can transfer more files or folders to the player, the player cannot display or play any files, folders, or levels that exceed this limit.
 If Content Transfer starts automatically after connecting the player to your computer using the supplied USB cable, close or ignore Content Transfer as Content Transfer need not be used. For details on setting automatic start of Content Transfer, refer to the Help of Content Transfer.
 Connect the player to your computer using the supplied USB cable.
Insert the connector of the USB cable into the player.
 Click [start] – [My Computer] or [Computer] – [WALKMAN] –
[Storage Media], and then select the [VIDEO] or [PICTURE] folder.
Data hierarchy may differ, depending on your computer environment.
 Drag-and-drop files or folders into the [VIDEO] or [PICTURE] folder
or one of its subfolders.
 Video files or folders: drag-and-drop into the [VIDEO] folder, or one of
its subfolders.
 Photo files or folders: drag-and-drop into the [PICTURE] folder, or one
of its subfolders.
Accessibility to files and folders beyond the 8th level is not guaranteed.

And about the required software needed for Sony E devices:

About the Software
Bundled Software
Content Transfer
Content Transfer can transfer music, videos or photos from a computer to the
player by a simple drag-and-drop operation. You can use Windows Explorer or
iTunes, etc., to drag-and-drop data to Content Transfer. Content Transfer can
also convert a video file of a format not supported by the player into a playable
format. For details on operation, refer to the Help of the software.
Transferable files: Music (MP3, WMA, AAC, WAV), Photo (JPEG), Video
(WMV*1)
*1 Some WMV files cannot be played back after being transferred by Content Transfer. If you retransfer them using Windows Media Player 11, they may become playable.
 Hint
 ATRAC files managed by SonicStage can be transferred to the player after conversion to MP3 file format. To convert files, download the MP3 Conversion Tool from the customer support Web site ( p. 107).
Compatible Software
Windows Media Player 11
Windows Media Player can import audio data from CDs and transfer data to
the player.
Transferable files: Music (MP3, WMA), Video (WMV), Photo (JPEG)
For details on operation, refer to the Help of the software or visit the following
website.
http://www.support.microsoft.com/
 Hint
 Some computers that already have Windows Media Player 10 installed may encounter file limitations (AAC, video files, etc.) when transferring by drag-and-drop. If you install Windows Media Player 11 from the Windows Media Player download site, you can solve this problem, allowing you to transfer by drag-and-drop again. Before installing Windows Media Player 11 on your computer, make sure to check whether your software or service corresponds to Windows Media Player 11.

So it would seem that WMP 11 is recommended for WinExplorer Drag/Drop. Since Win7 comes with WMP12 [right?], it probably is the combination of the Sony hardware making a call to WMP in order to convert video to the proper format during drag/drop.

So, not really Win7 - I rest my case. :-D

['course I could still be wrong...] lol
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Pretty sure connecting over MTP means that the PC will know what formats the player can accept, and might result in auto conversion?

Old 08-10-2010, 01:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hmm, i do have the Sony E manual in PDF. Here is what it says - after reading it, it still kinda tells me nothing. :-)
*snip*

So it would seem that WMP 11 is recommended for WinExplorer Drag/Drop. Since Win7 comes with WMP12 [right?], it probably is the combination of the Sony hardware making a call to WMP in order to convert video to the proper format during drag/drop.

So, not really Win7 - I rest my case. :-D

['course I could still be wrong...] lol
It's not the first time I've seen that message about converting, either...when I tried copy/pasting podcasts on the S, I got the same message.....and it converted a 32kbps mono podcast to 96kbps(can't remember if it converted to stereo or not) but then it would play. When I tried the copy/paste without converting, the whole file would transfer, supposedly, but only the second half of the podcast would play.

I really do think the OS is in tune with what this player can handle...whether the MTP protocol has been tweaked for closer interaction with devices or not, I don't know.

You'd have to watch a Win 7 machine, the very first time you connect a player......for example, the icons of MSC players, that appear without having to be created. I'm sure if you were to switch, that for a couple weeks you'd be up in arms over a couple things that were different from XP.....you're stubborn like that.....but once you got accustomed to it, I think you'd agree it really is a superior OS.

In fact, I do think it has to do with MTP, now that I think about it more.........for example, I cannot load FLAC, m4a, or vorbis files onto the E, even with Mediamonkey.....it simply will not allow it because it is not supported.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Alright - we call this a draw.... lol

Where are all the Sony gurus tonight when we need 'em? ;-)

EDIT: Thinking about this, I think we both kinda right. All this probably has to do with sneaky MTP and how MS handles that kinda hardware with their OS'es. Obviously some stuff going on under the hood there.

@OP, sorry for the discussion/digression. Like I said, as long as it works, does it really matter? :-D
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 08-10-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Marvin, all you need to do is to try it using XP mode on your Win 7 machine.

Tags
e345, mtp, video conversion