android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Insignia > Insignia Sport

Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Lightbulb Fixing rotary dial on Insignia Sport (& may be pilot)

Couple of years back I bought two Insignia Sports for in-car and rough-n-tough use. It worked great for its price until one day the dial started behaving weird. If try to scroll up (rotate anti-clockwise), it would dance across scrolling up a bit, down a lot and jump else where... selecting an item of interest or setting right volume was almost impossible. Was so frustrating that I decided to break open one and try fixing the dial.

Followed instructions given in the other thread to open up the device: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=52748

Along with the face plate, the dial, ring and play/pause button cap can also be removed exposing the potentiometer or whatever that rotary thing is!

With tweezers or knife, remove the inner metal cap (that has the ALPS marking - must be the manufacturer) by releasing (bending) one or two of the four latches.

Once you released it, the inner cap & the inner dial might jump out due to the pressure exerted by the inner dial's three pair of brushes/legs.

With a knife, gently scrap off the dull colored rust that might have formed on the brush and on the main unit where the brushes would make contact. In some cases the brushes might have gone down and may not be making proper contacts. Using the knife, gently life them up a little.

Now it is time for re-assembly... put the inner dial (the one with three pair of brushes) in place and fix the metallic cap. Should be easy.

Then fix the face plate along with the external button-cap, dial and the ring. Connect the battery and test the dial before fastening the screws. For few days the dial may not feel smooth, but it will work, that is what really matters to me!!

Attached some pictures... this is my first post and ofcourse, I was half asleep when I wrote this, so tolerate the language and the details presented :-)

And be aware that you are handling delicate electronics equipment... don't blame me if you destroy your device!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parts.jpg (32.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg rust-off.jpg (99.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg inner-cap.jpg (80.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg in-place.jpg (96.7 KB, 7 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tags
insignia sport, rotary dial