android
Old 07-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumb Up Clip+ clear cases/face-screen protectors

Various options for clear cases and face-screen protectors for the Clip+:

At Amazon.com, a $1.99 face protector, which actually seems pretty decent, as it covers the entire front of the player.

http://www.amazon.com/GTMax-Durable-Screen-Protector-SanDisk/dp/B002Y31QDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280526269&sr =8-1

Likewise at Amazon.com or directly from the manufacturer, the invisibleShield, which is available in options to cover the face of the player alone or the entire player. The Amazon link to the face/screen protector, at $14.99 (the full body invisibleShield also is available at Amazon, for $10 more):

http://www.amazon.com/ZAGG-invisibleSHIELD-Protective-Sansa-Screen/dp/B003FSTC08/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280526395&sr =8-3

Between the 2 of the above, the invisibleShield, I'm guessing, is thicker, and perhaps a bit shock-absorbing. But as people say that the Clip+ is very scratch-resistant to begin with, the $1.99 face/screen protector may be just fine.

As sold at the invisibleShield website itself (zagg.com), they offer 3 levels of protection for the Clip+, from $9.99 (face/screen protector) to $14.99 (2 types of full body coverage, one of which seems to be what's at Amazon--I can't tell which, though), a significant percentage savings over the Amazon.com prices. The manf. also offers a 45-day money-back guarantee at its website, if you decide you don't like the product (it's unclear to me if that refunds the shipping, $2.99 in the U.S.).

When I got my Clip+, I managed to snag a DLO Action Jacket case (plus velcro armband) for it, which I like: it's full body protection; it's stylish; it has an almost full-face sheet of clear acetate on the front, protecting the Clip+ but still showing it off; and it adds some padding for the front and sides/corners/edges of the Clip+, which I really like (I can be a klutz). I got it at a great sale price--no way was I going to pay the original $30 sales price.

Checking at Amazon.com just now, though, I saw that you can get the DLO case from a 3rd-party store there at $1.95 + 5.78 shipping. At that price, I'd be very tempted to grab it, as long as you're fine with its fully body, fuzzy neoprene, black case, which adds a small amount of bulk to the player (but which leaves all controls accessible). A nice advantage it has over the invisibleShield, beyond the price, is the shock-absorbing nature of the case. It's unclear to me how many cases the third-party store might have.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Action-Jacket-Adjustable-Armband/dp/B003QI8J1K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280528032&sr =1-1

At any rate, I hope that this might help others in the somewhat illusive search for Clip+ cases.

Last edited by Mikerman; 07-30-2010 at 07:45 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I still think they are completely unnecessary, for a Clip/Clip+. The only reason my Rockboxed Clip+ has a skin and screen shield on it is because it was already there before I got it.....and I keep it on there so I know which one is the RB'd Clip+ if I'm hurrying out the door. But as always, YMMV.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah, you forget us klutzes in the room. A leather case on my hard drive iRiver player saved it in a fall once (but, of course, it's a hard drive player, and made of metal).

At the low price of the Clip+ DLO Action Jacket, I would find it mighty tempting ...

Old 07-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Ah, you forget us klutzes in the room. A leather case on my hard drive iRiver player saved it in a fall once (but, of course, it's a hard drive player, and made of metal).

At the low price of the Clip+ DLO Action Jacket, I would find it mighty tempting ...
My two original Clips got dropped, accidentally flung across my workplace, you name it.....the only part of them that ever scratched was the clip on the back. My one naked Clip+ had one scratch on it from its previous owner(trying to get it out of the packaging), and I have yet to add any more, and I've been using it pretty much daily for months.

Thing is, they are light enough to just bounce, assuming they don't just end up swinging from the earphone cord. Anything bigger than the Clip/Clip+, I do put a case on...I like the little bit of cushion the silicone skins provide, and I protect the screens.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep, I agree; the Clips have a nice bounce factor (or, more often, just get caught by the earphone cords). I just always feel better about putting electronics in cases, and the extra protection they can provide.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:19 PM

Invisible shield is a scam. Best skins ever is made of the same material but it much cheaper. The DIY skin is much cheaper and can cover several clips several times.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Invisible shield is a scam. Best skins ever is made of the same material but it much cheaper. The DIY skin is much cheaper and can cover several clips several times.
Will be an epic pain in the ass to cut to proper dimensions, though, given the size and amount of curves a Clip+ has.

I do plan on doing this to my N900's excess PhantomSkinZ, though. (PSZ comes in a pack of 2 sets, front and back, but mine has a additional pair of glossy screen cover - I got lucky)

Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 PM

I bought several clear silicone covers for our Clip+s from Unitedintegral.com. They have held up just fine. Do I prefer to have a cover-yes-a little protection is better than none at all. This one does not cover the display of the Clip+ but it allows the back clip the be fully usable. I have also found that they do not stretch.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Those from skque?

This is overkill though. How big is a clip+?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Same place and they do help keep the Clip+ from getting scratched.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, looks like someone picked up the $1.95 DLO Action Jacket thru Amazon. Such a deal!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Back to $19.95, and only one left!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep--my hunch is that the $1.95 deal was a one-off sale. Good for whoever got it!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Will be an epic pain in the ass to cut to proper dimensions, though, given the size and amount of curves a Clip+ has.

I do plan on doing this to my N900's excess PhantomSkinZ, though. (PSZ comes in a pack of 2 sets, front and back, but mine has a additional pair of glossy screen cover - I got lucky)
I didn't cover the whole thing, just the screen. It is quite impossible to cut straight across though, although I am happy with my results, the edges could be better.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You need quite a lot of patience for that, which is why I'm not attempting it soon.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 AM

I bought my Clip a couple weeks after it first came out in '07 (probably the best $37.88 I ever spent ) and have gotten a lot of use out of it since then. I just stick it in my pocket with no case or skin, and aside from some very light scratches on the display, it's still in pretty good shape, so I don't really see much need for a case. What I have found necessary is taking good care of my headphones. I use the player a lot while working on stuff, and have had a couple pairs of earbuds short out after repeatedly getting snagged on things and/or having the player fall and use the headphone cable like a bungie cord.

Last edited by NextThursday; 08-09-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:45 AM

None of the clipís we own have ever had skins and all have been dropped at times, no real problems with any of them, so Iím not a fan of cases. When it comes to a face-screen protector, Iíve only used on pda but after a few months I removed it and sure itís got a few little marks on it but by the time they appeared I was due for a new device. I just prefer the look, feel and performance of a hand held device without anything on it, the naked look FTW

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I like the naked look, but also feel comfprted by the bounce factor that my DLO Action Jacket gives the Clip. And nice-looking at that.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I like the naked look, but also feel comfprted by the bounce factor that my DLO Action Jacket gives the Clip. And nice-looking at that.
To each his own

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Tags
clip+ cases, clip+ screen protectors, dlo action jacket, invisibleshield