android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3 > Cowon J3 Accessories

Old 08-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Default re: RearthRingke silicon case and Official Cowon J3 protective film

Hi!

Just wondering, how good the rearth ringke silicon cases are, as well as the official J3 protective film.

'Cause, I've already ordered http://cgi.ebay.com/Cowon-J3-Silicon...item3f01932d9e
[the above]
cheap $5 silicon case, and am unsure of its quality.

Also, I ordered a $2 pack of 5xiPhone protective films, which I intended to cut to size to fit on the J3's screen.

It was a total of under $10 from ebay including shipping, so I don't mind ditching those to purchase higher quality items.

Thanks,
-justin

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-06-2010, 08:00 PM

I'm happy with my silicone case. For me, its better than the leather case (which doesn't cover the buttons) because I could cut holes in it (using small scissors worked better than a razor) for the FF, Play, Volume Down, and Power buttons to be able to distinguish between them when pressing them through the outside of my pocket. Don't know how that'd work out for the jelly case. Some say the silicone cases are more difficult to remove from your pockets and attract dust and lint, but I haven't found this to be the case with cotton shorts. Interesting thing about them is that they glow in the dark for awhile when you turn the light off.

You can read this thread for more: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=54973

Last edited by Hyomil; 08-06-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:38 PM

Ah okay =(

The thing I wanted to avoid was cutting holes in it, cause dust will get in there then xD.

I miiiight just go and buy the ones from rearth ringke.

Was it hard to cut the holes?

Thanks

Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 PM

I used small, thin grooming scissors (the kind for trimming nose hairs, ear hairs, eyebrows, and such), which enable you to make the precise cuts you need in such a small area. The silicone cuts easily and cleanly--unless you tear it, in which case it leaves a ragged edge, but its soft stuff so it doesn't really matter. You might get a cleaner cut with a razor, but it had better be a sharp one because the silicone just bunched up and tore when I tried to use an old dull one.

You can pick how big you want to make the holes maybe based on your finger size. I made mine small at first but ended up enlarging them because it was easier to push the buttons that way than 'burrowing' into a narrow crevice with my finger.

You can pick which buttons you want to cut holes for based on usage. The ones there are holes for are a little easier to press than the ones covered by silicone (and you can clearly feel them clicking through cloth, whereas with the silicone-covered buttons its harder to tell). Don't cut holes for buttons that are right next to each other or that would defeat the purpose. I chose the FF button first because I use it all the time to skip commercials in podcasts. (If you were doing language learning where you had to skip back a few seconds all the time, you might prefer to cut the hole for the RW button.) Then I did the Play button because its right next to the RW button and its hard to distinguish between them. Then the Volume Down rather than the Volume Up because I care more about being able to lower the volume quickly than raising it. I thought about leaving the Power button covered because that would help in distinguishing which side of the player you were grasping, but decided the ease of use in pressing the uncovered button outweighed that.

Last edited by Hyomil; 08-07-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:21 AM

Ahh okay, cool thanks. I might give that a try once my silicon case arrives.

Could I trouble you to tell me which silicon case you bought Because I'm aware that there are several on different ones for sale on ebay, and just maaaybe, I'm hoping, the one I had comes with raised sections where buttons are. Assuming you got yours from ebay, did you get the ones with different colours available and came with a screen protector, or just the 2.99 GBP black one?

Thanks

Old 08-07-2010, 07:37 AM

I got this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Cowon-J3-Silicon...item3eff9334a5.

The only problem with it was it was sprayed with some kind of cleaning fluid, so I had to leave it out in the sun a few days to get rid of the smell, but that totally eliminated it. It did come with a screen protector. The buttons *are* raised on this one but not much and they're not easily differentiable by touch. There's 2 inherent limitations with the J3 itself that the skin can't overcome:

1) the FF and RW buttons on the J3 itself are both rectangular (the biggest problem IMO, in terms of functionality. If it were an angled rocker switch like a light switch, maybe it would be ok) and have zero gap between them, so it makes little difference if the skin's buttons are raised or not. Same goes for the Volume Up and Down buttons, although inexplicably they *do* have a small gap between them--just not big enough to be much help, given problem (2) below. And there's only a very small gap between the FF and RW buttons and the Play button. Its easy to press the wrong button, especially if you have big fingers, unless you carefully feel out the distance before pressing anything. If you have a 2-hour podcast paused and accidentally hit RW instead of Play, you lose your place and have to spend quite some time finding it again. Having a big chunk of silicone covering the RW button prevents this.

2) the J3's buttons' protrude very little distance from the player (presumably because this is more aesthetically pleasing), making it harder to both distinguish between the buttons and have a clear sensation that the buttons have been pushed. Add a thick layer of pressure-absorbing silicone on top of this and its even worse and also requires a lot more pressure to press the button. The buttons on the skin could have been made to protrude more than they do, but that would necessitate even more finger pressure to press them and make the click of the button even less detectable.

My last player was an iRiver that had a mini-joystick that was easy to operate through the outside my pocket. It also had well-raised round buttons separated by big gaps that made it impossible to hit the wrong one. But form seems to have won out over function and using a silicone skin like this now is the best that can be made of things.

Last edited by Hyomil; 08-07-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:58 AM

i think silicone cases are ugly.

somehow the jelly one attracts me more but i ordered the plastic case which i hear is garbage...i dont know what to do.

i am still waiting for my plastic case and my protective film thing.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:22 PM

Ahh okay cool thanks

The silicon case I ordered was a different one, black, case only, no protector. I'll hope for the best then, maybe it has better usability in terms of raised button sections. =D