android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 08-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookin Fancy View Post
...If my Zune was stolen today, the thief would not care about the lock. So what, it erases all my content. Then he can either use my Zune HD or sell it as he/she pleases. The lock is only successful in protecting your music and your money, but unsuccessful in protecting your device, overall.
Sorry to butt in, especially as a non-Zune owner.

This is how I see it as well. While the optional choice for the lock process is good [neccessary and correct], I am still not too sure how effectively this lock protects you as a Zune HD owner.

Thieves generally come in 2 flavors IME:
- people you know or who see/have contact with you and your gear on a regular basis [and may or may not have specific knowledge about the gear they are eyeing];

- or the more common, random thief on a street, working through a window of opportunity with you; this second thief usually has zero idea about the specifics of your gear, only that it is nice, seems worth stealing and probably will net them some quick cash/drugs/whatever.

The lock might be useful to some level with the former, but is pretty useless with the latter don't you think?

cheers,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Sorry to butt in, especially as a non-Zune owner.

This is how I see it as well. While the optional choice for the lock process is good [neccessary and correct], I am still not too sure how effectively this lock protects you as a Zune HD owner.

Thieves generally come in 2 flavors IME:
- people you know or who see/have contact with you and your gear on a regular basis [and may or may not have specific knowledge about the gear they are eyeing];

- or the more common, random thief on a street, working through a window of opportunity with you; this second thief usually has zero idea about the specifics of your gear, only that it is nice, seems worth stealing and probably will net them some quick cash/drugs/whatever.

The lock might be useful to some level with the former, but is pretty useless with the latter don't you think?

cheers,
-lestatar
you don't get to choose which thief gets your zune... And the pin lock isn't there to prevent theft of your zune itself. It's there to protect your potentially personal content (pictures... etc.) and your zune account points. Should you choose to enable it (and it is completely optional) then it serves it's purpose just fine. It's not perfect...as I posted many posts ago I think the validated owner should be able to override the pin without erasing everything under specific conditions. That would be a worthwhile improvement. But I don't think it's valid to say the current implementation is useless.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmm, point well taken NSILMike...appreciate the feedback. Back to lurking :-)
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Hmm, point well taken NSILMike...appreciate the feedback. Back to lurking :-)
Nah... don't lurk! (Friendly) debate is good -and fun-, and the rest of the lurkers learn by reading!
Cheers.