android
Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Im considering to buy one =)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
25 thousand?!?! XD
European convention is to use the comma "," as compared to the "." for US and Asian countries. So 249.99 for US and 249,99 for Euro. It's confusing to me too, as I'm still used to a comma separating the thousandth digit from the hundredth digit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post
Originally $250ish
Indeed. The German Panasonic website I posted above shows they still retail for 249.99Euros in Germany.

F/K/A Need Balance Control

Old 07-26-2010, 09:25 PM

According to this, they're supposed to cost $229:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...72009021026756

I wonder what got them to lower their price by nearly half?

Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 PM

More potential ear tips for the Panasonic HJE-900:

MEElectronics Original Eartips for M11+/M11P+ Earphones (10 pairs of ear tips)

It's out of stock now, but they're $9.99 + shipping.

Anyone have experience with MEElectronics tips?

Joker of head fi . org posted some comments here:

I was thinking perhaps I'd get this set--when they're in stock again--to see if I can get a perfect seal for the HJE-900 with one of these tips.

Link to purchase these.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☼Pepe☼ View Post
According to this, they're supposed to cost $229:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...72009021026756

I wonder what got them to lower their price by nearly half?
Cause like everything else, as time goes by the prices go lower. They are from 2008 after all.

Posted by dfkt earlier on this thread: http://en.akihabaranews.com/18511/au...from-panasonic

Old 07-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Contributing Editor

I have to say. DFKT, your review is spot on. But I am getting some major hiss from the Panny's when using my Nexus One or my laptop (Dell studio 17). It is perfectly silent for my 2 Clip's though. They definitely sound amazing when listening to those, but not the phone/laptop. My other headphones (Sony, Sennheiser, V Moda) don't hiss when plugged into either.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post
I have to say. DFKT, your review is spot on. But I am getting some major hiss from the Panny's when using my Nexus One or my laptop (Dell studio 17). It is perfectly silent for my 2 Clip's though. They definitely sound amazing when listening to those, but not the phone/laptop. My other headphones (Sony, Sennheiser, V Moda) don't hiss when plugged into either.
Yes, I an experiencing extra hissing with the HJE-900s on my laptop as well. My Dell is notoriously hissy to begin with, but the hissing is less obvious on the Creative 630s and more pronounced with the HJE-900.

edit: But for the J3, the HJE-900 absolutely produces no hissing what-so-ever.

Last edited by NeedBalanceCtrl; 07-28-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Doesn't hissing usually indicate higher sensitivity of the headphones/IEMs in question?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-29-2010, 05:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Indeed, that is a bit of a paradox. The EP630, V-Moda Vibe, and most others are 16 Ohm drivers with generally (IIRC) higher sensitivity than the 26 Ohm HJE900. I don't have all of those, but I know that my (very similar) CX300 hiss rather badly with most of my players, while the HJE900 definitely don't.

Now I don't have any stock sound card in any computer to try, but I know that for example newer Realtek sound cards do a kind of impedance matching/sensing with an attached headphone load, so it might be that such sound cards automatically boost the output too high with the HJE900, and use a more tame amp setting with the EP630. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Now I wonder if an inline volume control or an impedance adapter would remove the hiss from the HJE with such sound cards, or if it would make it worse.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Now I wonder if an inline volume control or an impedance adapter would remove the hiss from the HJE with such sound cards, or if it would make it worse.
Hmm, well the Sony phones are 32ohm. But I wouldn't think that going from 32 to 26 would make a huge difference. The hiss is so annoying that I wont listen to the phone or the laptop with the Panny's. You hear it through the music.

I might have to look at your recommendation though. Let me know if you get any info from it. Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just plugged the HJE900 into my girlfriend's Acer laptop, equipped with a Realtek HD sound card. Absolutely no hiss whatsoever, at any volume level... (As with any laptop, I cut the green/yellow ground line from the AC power adapter cable, to prevent any ground-loop/hum/hiss. YMMV.)

Old 07-30-2010, 04:13 AM

How are microphonics, wind, and walking with these?

Old 07-30-2010, 05:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Cable and wind noise are no issue with them. (I always wear the cable looped up around the ears.)

Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Cable and wind noise are no issue with them. (I always wear the cable looped up around the ears.)
I have never worn IEMs like that (over ears) and after you talked about it, I tried it. It is now my preferred way to wear these. It gets away from the natural "hang" from wearing them normally and just feel more stable. Not to mention the "slider" on the cord. I didn't think that was a useful feature, but I always use that also. These are great to wear walking around and even sleeping.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Also, the slider on the HJE really works, compared to many other designs. If you hold the cable and turn the slider ~90°, it clamps tightly and doesn't move anymore.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

An actually useful slider for once? Other companies need to take note, pronto!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:47 PM

dfkt, I'm thinking about getting these with my first paycheck from my new job (yay, me!), and would like to know if you think my JVC marshmallow tips would work well with these. Otherwise, I'll get the Super.Fi tips. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmashNow View Post
dfkt, I'm thinking about getting these with my first paycheck from my new job (yay, me!), and would like to know if you think my JVC marshmallow tips would work well with these. Otherwise, I'll get the Super.Fi tips. Thanks in advance.
From memory, the marshmallow tips are the 3.5mm variety, while the hje900 use a 5.5mm diameter nozzle. But more importantly, the marshmallows use foam tips which typically do horrible things to the high end of IEMs. But instead of the super.fi tips I'd suggest you get the meelelec tips from the M11+ line. They are cheaper, just as well designed, and have a much better variety to ensure you get a better fit (10 pairs vs UE's 3).
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 08-04-2010, 11:39 AM

Hi all. Hopefully someone can help answering this:

- Searching the web the best price I found in Europe (not UK) is 135€ + shipping. Do you think that's still a good bang/buck ratio?
- I can read those who say that treble is too much are using Cowon and Sony players with the Panasonics, but how is the treble when connected to a Sansa Fuze? (with no EQ)

I like treble, but it hurts my ears when I get too much harshness in the upper registry. Just to give some examples: Grado SR225i are a bit tiring but I find them very funny. PFE treble is fine for me. On the other hand Grado SR325i was definitively too much for me and I had no choice but sell them.

Thank you all for your help!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
From memory, the marshmallow tips are the 3.5mm variety, while the hje900 use a 5.5mm diameter nozzle. But more importantly, the marshmallows use foam tips which typically do horrible things to the high end of IEMs. But instead of the super.fi tips I'd suggest you get the meelelec tips from the M11+ line. They are cheaper, just as well designed, and have a much better variety to ensure you get a better fit (10 pairs vs UE's 3).
Okay. Thanks for the reply and the advice, JxK!