android
Old 07-11-2010, 05:32 PM

Well, I didn't get my Cowon case for free. I ordered it after-the-fact, along with their A/C-USB battery charger. Both arrived yesterday.

At first I thought I wasn't going to get my J3 into it because I'd applied the thin plastic protective sheets I also ordered originally with the player and finally got installed correctly. Seemed hard to believe.

But after just a bit of careful placement of the player within the "stiff metal side grips" of the leather case before applying pressure, sure enough I now got it seated perfectly. And the metal grips are at exactly where they should be so that all buttons on the side edges are still perfectly accessible even with the player snugly in the case (just like the protective plastic sheet wraparound flaps from the back sheet that adhere to the side edges of the player... they're also a perfect shape and fit to go exactly where they should go and not anyplace else).

Plus, the magnetic/leather strap that keeps the case cover closed still keeps the headphone jack unobstructed, so you can listen to the player even with the case cover closed.

PERFECT!! AND GORGEOUS!!! Sleek, pitch black, and glorious. The player looks absolutely stunning in the case, and it feels terrific in your hand. Open it up, play some video in landscape mode, and watch your friends ogle it enviously.

Could this whole Cowon ensemble be any more aesthetically pleasing and gorgeous to look at??? I don't think so.

I'm a completely satisfied convert to the J3 (of course this is my first portable player, so I don't really have much to compare to). Many thanks to the touts from members of this forum.

(now if only Cowon will re-organize Matrix Browser to be 2-level alphabetical... well I'll be very very happy)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-13-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Well, I didn't get my Cowon case for free. I ordered it after-the-fact, along with their A/C-USB battery charger. Both arrived yesterday.

At first I thought I wasn't going to get my J3 into it because I'd applied the thin plastic protective sheets I also ordered originally with the player and finally got installed correctly. Seemed hard to believe.

But after just a bit of careful placement of the player within the "stiff metal side grips" of the leather case before applying pressure, sure enough I now got it seated perfectly. And the metal grips are at exactly where they should be so that all buttons on the side edges are still perfectly accessible even with the player snugly in the case (just like the protective plastic sheet wraparound flaps from the back sheet that adhere to the side edges of the player... they're also a perfect shape and fit to go exactly where they should go and not anyplace else).

Plus, the magnetic/leather strap that keeps the case cover closed still keeps the headphone jack unobstructed, so you can listen to the player even with the case cover closed.

PERFECT!! AND GORGEOUS!!! Sleek, pitch black, and glorious. The player looks absolutely stunning in the case, and it feels terrific in your hand. Open it up, play some video in landscape mode, and watch your friends ogle it enviously.

Could this whole Cowon ensemble be any more aesthetically pleasing and gorgeous to look at??? I don't think so.

I'm a completely satisfied convert to the J3 (of course this is my first portable player, so I don't really have much to compare to). Many thanks to the touts from members of this forum.

(now if only Cowon will re-organize Matrix Browser to be 2-level alphabetical... well I'll be very very happy)
sounds GREAT, can you post a link or picture of that case? ty

Old 07-13-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabumi View Post
sounds GREAT, can you post a link or picture of that case? ty
Standard Cowon store:

Case for J3

Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 PM

I just received the Genuine Cowon Jelly case and am quite pleased with it. As shown in the pictures earlier in the thread there are slightly raised areas for the buttons so the can be readily located by touch. It's definitely not sticky, slips in/out of pockets easily. It fits like a glove and is pleasant to the touch.

It suits my needs well, I didn't want a leather case which would add to the size of the player and require opening/closing a flap to see screen. The looks aren't a big issue, it's a tool to me not jewelry.

Got it off eBay for just over AU$10.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpan223 View Post
Also, if anyone is using screen protector, recommendations please?
I've heard from various users that the Cowon screen protector gets scratched too easily, thus not worth it.
While I'm only a newcomer to the J3, I did buy both the Cowon protective plastic sheets for both front screen and back. It took several days and the help of a very patient forum member with experience (paraffiinbrain, can't thank you enough) but I eventually got both sheets correctly applied and ahered to both front and back surfaces.

During the initial "false starts", when I really had no idea what I was doing (trying to follow the Cowon graphic "instructions" which provided no real clue to me as to what I was supposed to do) I actually thought I was supposed to use their folding-carboard squeegee to "apply" the front sheet, and that somehow magically it would adhere) Well, of course it didn't.

However in the process of trying to "iron out the air bubbles" on what I thought once adhered was going to be the final top surface (i.e. which would ultimately facing me and which I would be looking through to see the actual J3 screen), it turned out that the folded cardboard squeegee edge actually scraped (kind of scuffed) the hard plastic itself, actually scratching the surface with some long lines running the length of the plastic sheet from top to bottom edge!

I was, of course, HORRIFIED to say the least, that I had just permanently damaged and ruined the very protective coating I had purchased... specifically to protect my J3 screen! It was awful.

Luckily, thanks to paraffiinbrain, I learned that this hard shell layer I thought was the "top" was not that at all. In fact, it was actually the peelaway and throwaway "bottom" of a sandwich of two layers. Once this [now scratched and damaged] layer was peeled away (with the assistance of the small cardboard tab that was attached to it) to reveal that the two sandwich layers were connected by a sticky in-between. And the now remaining "bottom of the sandwich" layer would then be turned over and applied over the J3 screen.

In other words, by sheer good luck I had done scratching damage to the throwaway half of the plastic layer sandwich, but the bottom layer of the sandwich (which would then be turned over and then have its sticky side [now facing down] applied to the glass surface of the J3) was completely undamaged and unscuffed, and would become the still pristine final upper protective layer over the J3's screen.

This protective plastic sheet now adhered to and placed on top of the glass screen (original bottom half of the layer sandwich) actually has a soft (almost gel-like) to the touch physical characteristic. I suspect it would not have scuffed, had I actually used that cardboard squeegee to try and push out air bubbles to get the sheet 100% flat with no visible anomalies.

However based on my earlier experience damaging that hard shell "top"layer (obviously, not manufactured to withstand scuffing... since it was actually the throwaway BOTTOM half of a sticky 2-layer sandwich) I wasn't going to take a chance. So I used a soft 100% cotton T-shirt as my "squeegee", rubbing freely and as hard as I wanted and doing ZERO damage to what was now the correct Cowon plastic sheet protective layer over the glass screen of the J3.

I would not use anything hard and fibrous and woody (a coffee filter?? really??) to clean a surface like this. I wouldn't use it on glass, and I wouldn't use it on plastic protection of that glass.

In fact, the polymer characteristics of this final protective layer are, as I described earlier, magic and amazing. While your fingerprint grease and other such smudges will obviously get on the surface as you finger-scroll, all it takes is a quick breath from your mouth on it and some rubbing using a clean section of your T-shirt (as you might do with your eyeglasses, lacking a better solution), and all the grease and whatever is wiped away perfectly and it is once again 100% crystal clear and unscuffed.

It's impossible to leave permanent fingerprints on this magic surface... since the surface itself is just not one to which anything like a fingerprint can become permanently affixed. I mean even in the old days of glass computer screens on CRT monitors when people used to use their fingers to point to things on the screen and their fingerprint smudges would remain behnd and glare at you and reflect room ambient light and generally look disgusting, you don't "polish" those stains off using a "grinding surface" or paper towel with wood fibers in it... you use a proper screen cleaner chemical (not water) and soft non-fibrous cloth, just as your optician tells you to do with your prescription eyeglasses.

I can confirm that I absolutely marvel at how 100% perfect, 100% transparent, 100% non-scuffed, and amazingly glass-like looking my Cowon protective LCD screen plastic sheet remains. I mean, if you didn't see just the slightest tiniest reveal of the long edge of the super-thin plastic layer along one side of the J3's glass screen (because it guess I did not get it placed absolutely perfectly 100% to line up with that particular side of the screen, or maybe it's just a teeny tiny bit smaller than the glass screen itself so that there's always going to be at least a teeny tiny bit of the plastic sheet's edges visible), you would absolutely NEVER know that there was even a plastic layer on top of the glass underneath. 100% invisible. PERFECT!

Fortunately, I didn't try to squeegee it using cardboard, and have only cleaned it with my breath and a 100% cotton T-shirt "in the wild". I will continue to care for it this way into the future.

And whereas I had actually done scuffing damage to one side of the layer sandwich by rubbing cardboard on it, as it turns out that was NOT the layer side which would ultimately get applied to the glass top of the J3. It was the OTHER layer side of the sandwich, which actually seems to have different physical characteristics. I actually don't know if the cardboard squeegee would have damaged it (but I was not willing to take a chance).

===>> stick with 100% cotton as your rag, and your breath to mist it up first, and you'll get all your greasy fingerprints cleaned away.

Last edited by DSperber; 07-14-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Default Rought Jelly Case

I Got a Cowon J3 Jelly Case,and I want to know if mine was bad manufactured.

On the back,near the loudspeakers,that middle area its texture is different.
Its all smooth,but on that region its rought. And thats strange,after touching rought and then touching the screen.
Is that normal?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:35 PM

So the consensus is if you want a nice leather case, you are still waiting, and if you want a clear case, the plastic one is worthless and the jelly is not too bad.

What of the Reearth cases? Are these silicon? Are they dirt magnets? Does anyone have one that could give their opinion?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashHunt View Post
I Got a Cowon J3 Jelly Case,and I want to know if mine was bad manufactured.

On the back,near the loudspeakers,that middle area its texture is different.
Its all smooth,but on that region its rought. And thats strange,after touching rought and then touching the screen.
Is that normal?
Don't know if it's a defect or not but mine is the same way...

Old 07-21-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslingerfry View Post
So the consensus is if you want a nice leather case, you are still waiting, and if you want a clear case, the plastic one is worthless and the jelly is not too bad.

What of the Reearth cases? Are these silicon? Are they dirt magnets? Does anyone have one that could give their opinion?
I too would like to read some feedback/reviews on the Ringke cases made specifically for the J3. Anyone?

F/K/A Need Balance Control

Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 AM

hi everyone, J3 owners may consider {istyle} cases. I have just bought one and they seem to be pretty decent. You can get them at Gmarket which is like korean ebay. It is about 24 dollars shipped as i recall

Old 07-25-2010, 09:19 AM

Always preferred jelly & plastic cases. I actually have clean clothes, no dirt.
Like how jelly grips too.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Balance Control View Post
I too would like to read some feedback/reviews on the Ringke cases made specifically for the J3. Anyone?
Oh. Haha. Yeah. Manufacturer: Rearth-Ringke. Reearth makes more sense to me but I'm just a stupid American.