android
Old 07-24-2010, 06:16 AM

Default Voice recording quality on portable players

Hi

I'm planning on buying a portable media device but I'm not sure exactly which product or even type of product is ideal for me. Please help me decide.

Basically I'm looking for a device that will let me record my thoughts and play it back and transfer it to my comp. Also it would be great if I could use it to listen to music and watch movies when I'm traveling.

So I found the Cowon S9 to be a good product for my needs but I'm concerned about the quality of voice recording/playback - can anyone who's used the recording facility on the S9 or otherwise knows about products that provide what I'm looking for please share their knowledge and point me to the right product?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-24-2010, 06:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

MP3 players in general all suffer from tiny microphones used for voice recording. Some appear to simply use the built-in speaker as mic when the voice app is activated. You might want to consider a dedicated voice recorder. There are several on the market, and all are better at it than any MP3 player in my opinion. If you insist on using a media player, then look at the Samsung P3 or M1. They are designed to also be used as phones, and have mics and speakers that are well located for that task. Pretty good voice recorder apps too.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree totally with Olley on this. Dedicated voice recorders are pretty cheap these days and all will render much better quality than the built-in mics on any mp3 player IMO.

However...

For the OP's stated use/desires, perhaps the Fuze would be a good all-in-one-solution.

Sounds like collectedsoul wants to have a handy voice recording scratchpad for his own personal use. Distance from the device will not be an issue [as say in a classroom situation]. As a personal voice recording scratchpad, the Fuze would work well I think. Easy connectivity to a PC under MSC mode to retrieve the recordings and of course the Fuze's primary ability to serve as an mp3 player.

Videos? meh, not so much. Doable? yes.

cheers and good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-25-2010, 04:46 AM

Thanks for the advice. I checked out the Fuze and its an mp3 player? I read a review that said the recording quality is decent but is it really better than a Cowon S9 for audio recording? I also looked at the Samsung products and the P3 seemed like a good one but I'm a little partial to the S9 having seen and read so many good things about it. So unless you tell me that these other audio players are much much better than the S9 for recording I'd rather go for the S9.

On the other hand since you both recommend stand alone recorders I might just get one and a video player. Which recorder would be good for my use as a scratch pad? What would be really useful to me is if I could blurt out something into a recorder and then later transfer it into text format on the comp - is this possible?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

To be honest speech to text technology is very far from perfect yet.

Unless the software likes your accent, and pronunciation...

Old 07-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm thinking several of the dedicated voice recorders come with speech to text software. This isn't an ideal web site for recorder info though, and I don't own one. You might want to find a forum dedicated to voice recorders.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:08 AM

I can only speak from my personal experience. I own two digital voice records: an old olympus (can't remember model) which only records in a special proprietary format. The sound quality generally was quite ok, but the windows only software was too much of an hassle. I am now using a Sony ICD-UX81 digital voice recorder to record the lectures at the university. It records in mp3 and even includes digital pitch control, so you can play it back at a slower speed if you like. Sound quality is great and you can get one for about 85$ (2GB Model). Nevertheless I think the new olympus models can also record in mp3 and wav.
Check out amazon customer reviews and cnet for more information

Old 07-25-2010, 09:25 AM

I would go wit a fuze over the S9 just based on the cost. S9 is a pretty expensive voice recorder. The London Drugs by my place sells plain voice recorders for 40 - 60 bucks and you could still get a decent MP3 player and together it would still be less than the s9.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm going to look into a suitable voice recorder and probably get the ipod touch since I've just come to know that the S9 has problems with playlists.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectedsoul View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm going to look into a suitable voice recorder and probably get the ipod touch since I've just come to know that the S9 has problems with playlists.
Well ok, whatever floats your boat, just don't expect it to sound good. . .

Old 07-26-2010, 07:43 AM

I know what you mean and you will be pleased to know that I'm not going to buy one after all. I read about its average audio quality in lots of reviews so I'm now back to deciding between the S9 (if only I could use m3u playlists) and other Samsung and Creative players.

As for the recorder I'm buying a refurbished Olympus Ws-400 S. It sounds like just the recorder I needed.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

m3u issue is supposedly fixed, according to Cowon.

http://www.jetaudio.com/download/cowon_rn_s9.html
Quote:
Fixed the error that certain M3U format was not recognized.

2.31 beta
Functionality that recognizes M3U files that are created in PC.
M3U folder will be created in 'playlist' from the top menu of browser when you copy .m3u files in COWON S9.
COWON S9 recognizes up to 400 M3U files.
COWON S9 recognizes up to 400 lists in M3U.
ONLY support extended M3U.
Edit : http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=45326

Thread on m3u issues on S9, and fixes.

Tags
cowon s9, pmp, voice recording