android
Old 07-23-2010, 09:01 PM

They finally arrived! Haven't even had time to unopened them. Wife just got back as well. Need to help unpack groceries. LOL

F/K/A Need Balance Control

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-24-2010, 12:09 AM

Listening to them now. They sound very good. It's interesting kasrhp uses the word "substantial" to describe the build quality--I agree--but the first word that comes to my mind in describing the sound quality of the HJE-900 is also "substantial". The sound that comes out of them feels very solid and substantial. It's an interesting quality, as it's not overly boomy bass, but it is substantial bass. I'm by no means a bass-head, so I would not want a lot of bass. I'd say the HJE has a good amount of natural (non-EQed) bass for me. The mids do sound a little bit recessed--it does sound and feel a little dark to me, but not muddy dark, perhaps "dark warm". But I'm sure I can EQ my way to my desired preference on the J3.

The hardest part right now for me is to not use the EQ settings. I'm trying my best to leave it at the normal (un-EQed) setting to give the HJE a fair listening to, but it's so difficult. Ever since tinkering around with the EQ presets, then customizing my own EQ settings, I can't seem to go back to to listening to just normal. Everything sounds so flat--on my Creative 630--without EQing. EQing makes a huge difference. I really missed out when I was using the iPod. I'm pretty sure after EQing the HJE-900 to my sound preference, I'll have nothing but positive words to say about them.

But I'm saving that for later with the HJE. I really want to listen to the HJE in the normal setting for a while and give them a good listening to. Then I'll indulge myself and start customizing the EQ settings to my liking.

This is a very solid and substantial pair of phones--both build and sound quality. I do have a few minor personal complaints--NON S.Q. related--about these 'phones given my needs and requirements that may very well not be a problem/complaint for others, but I'll wait until later to discuss that, after I give the HJE's a few days to see if I become accustom to them.

I would not hesitate to recommend the HJE-900 to anyone who is not overly tall and who is not a heavy bass-head, especially at the play.com price of ~70.

dfkt, thanks again for highlighting these phones on your chart and then writing an in-depth and objective review about them. I wouldn't have considered the HJE-900 without you bringing them to our attention.

I'm a happy camper for this weekend!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:17 AM

How would you compare these to the Monster Turbine's. I got those based of the reviews they were getting at Headfi and I really like them, but am always looking for something better at a good price. Mind you, better is very subjective to one's own tastes and hearing LOL.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Hi guys. I've been wanting to have these phones since last year but I just couldn't afford to pay too much so I ended up buying SoundMagic PL50 a year ago. They sounded just like I wanted but the build quality were terrible. But then I lost (lol silly me) them on March this year.

Now I really need the HJE 900 so hard and I would pay as little as I can get. I missed this one guy selling his HJEs on headfi and that was a bugger. So can anyone please tell me where I can get these with shipping to Australia?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
@NBC: Well?? Hurry up and kill ur mailman! LOL

Congratulations to both of you. Enjoy them...please do post pics and more detailed impressions!

-lestatar
lestatar, run, don't walk, but run and get yourself a pair of the HJE-900 right away. They're very impressive! I'm delighted with the purchase.

I don't have a pair of VB's with which to compare, but I've started EQing the HJE-900 last night and what can I say: they're fracking awesome! I love the treble/timbre clarity. Songs with voices are such a delight to listen to now. It is a huge difference as compared to the Creative 630, especially the highs. Bass on the HJE-900 is clearer, less boomy than on the Creatives, but to my untrained ears the 630 always produced quite a bit of bass so I never felt it lacked bass. What the 630 has always lacked for me was clarity of the highs; now I have that clarity with the HJE-900s. I've brought out the mids with EQing, so I'm really in sonic heaven now.

I do have to admit that a combo of J3 + HJE-900 is very impressive. I really missed out on sound quality with my previous setup of Creative 630 + iPod 4th Gen.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I feel like testing them out now to compare with the VB's, but I doubt any shop in singapore sells it.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
I feel like testing them out now to compare with the VB's, but I doubt any shop in singapore sells it.
ClieOS from head fi . org--whose also located in Singapore--has said the HJE-900 isn't available in his [your] part of the world.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So the only chance I have, is to buy from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-H.../dp/B002R1MDQY

Sigh. Perhaps after I get my first paycheck in National Service (or conscription).

Old 07-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Which Sony walkman was used for this review?

David

Old 07-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The one in the pictures is the Sony A series [new] I believe...however, I am pretty sure that dfkt based his review of the Panasonics on multiple players in addition to the Sony A....

:-D
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-25-2010, 06:11 PM

i have one quick question about the interchangeable cord.
Does the cord come out of the buds easily or does it require a decent amount of force?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiweiyen View Post
Does the cord come out of the buds easily or does it require a decent amount of force?
Are you asking because you want the cord to come out easily for replacement, or are you concerned that it'll accidentally fall out too easily? The cord seems firmly connected to the buds. It's not loose at all.

Last edited by NeedBalanceCtrl; 07-26-2010 at 02:46 AM.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:21 AM

The sale price of 69.99 pounds at Play . com is over it seems. They're now selling for 99.99 pounds at play . com.

dfkt, I hope you got your pair ordered already.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiweiyen View Post
It requires some force. More than pulling the cord out of a jack.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 AM

Well looky here.

[edit: photo removed due to old/outdated prototype]

This cable looks different from the one that came with mine. Are these the high(er) quality cables that Panasonic makes for the HJE-900?

Last edited by NeedBalanceCtrl; 07-26-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:49 AM

Seems that's an old stock picture, same pics were found on Akihabara News in 2008. If you look at my review images, they fancied the cables up a bit more - brushed aluminum on the L/R connectors, instead of plastic - but no Panasonic logo on the Y-splitter clamp.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Seems that's an old stock picture, same pics were found on Akihabara News in 2008. If you look at my review images, they fancied the cables up a bit more - brushed aluminum on the L/R connectors, instead of plastic - but no Panasonic logo on the Y-splitter clamp.
Oh I see. Yes, my pair is just like the pair you reviewed. They came in the same type of box/packaging too. I don't care about packaging--and I'd rather any company devote more to R&D or quality of build/materials rather than packaging--but I was a little surprised when I saw the box quality for the HJE-900 given that they are a $120 pair of earphones. But as I said, I'm glad they're spending on the quality of the 'phones and not on the quality of the box.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 AM

Hey, in German dkft.

http://www.panasonic.de/html/de_DE/P...?view=&angle=2

Quote:
Preis*: 249,00 EUR
Retail price in the EU is pretty pricey.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

25 thousand?!?! XD

Old 07-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Contributing Editor

Quote:
I was a little surprised when I saw the box quality for the HJE-900 given that they are a $120 pair of earphones.
Originally $250ish