android
Old 07-21-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
You need the black ones. The transparent ones have a smaller nozzle diameter, made for the newer generation of UE universal IEMs.
Thanks again for all your help dfkt. It's Wednesday. Only two more days to go!!!! Can you tell I'm excited?

Quote:
The RE0 play sound waves, the HJE play music.
Holy shite. Them are some fighting words. I may have to plagiarize that and use it as my signature, especially on head-fi, once I have the HJE in my hands.

Or, better yet, "The Fischer Audio DBA-02 play sound waves, the HJE play music."

Quote:
For everyone living in the UK, play.com has the HJE900 for EUR 97 / GBP 69: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...s/Product.html

Of course those damn bastards don't ship to any address outside the UK, damn them. I would have bought them in an instant.
You must have at least one trustworthy friend from here who resides in the UK and could purchase a pair on your behalf then post them to you. If this was a sale in the US, I'd definitely do that for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
For you it's an option since you're in Europe. But for us poor souls living across the Atlantic, well, sadly we're just out of luck.
No doubt! I took a look at the prices on play.com and their prices were insane cheap, almost to the point where I'm thinking they're all fakes. How could they possibly be so cheap, especially in Europe/UK where prices are generally more expensive than the US!?! I'm generally quite content with living in the US and have no special desire to live in Europe--in this case the UK--but this sale at play.com is making me wish I lived in the UK. It's not just the Panasonics, they have crazy low prices for many, many IEMs.

Take a look at my findings:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/...e#post_6797258

[Is it OK to link to head fi on here? If not, please edit-delete my link above.]

The pair of Creative 630's I currently use are
Creative EP-630 In Ear Headphones5.35 Free Delivery at play.com.

In comparison, they sell at Amazon.com (US) for $29.99 currently.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Though I have seen Amazon (US) sell them for as low as $16.99, but still, at 5.35 that's only ~$8.10. WTF!
At these prices, I'd like to import wholesale and sell them on ebay in the US. It's that cheap!

F/K/A Need Balance Control

Last edited by NeedBalanceCtrl; 07-21-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Balance Control View Post
Thanks again for all your help dfkt. It's Wednesday. Only two more days to go!!!! Can you tell I'm excited?
With good reason! You're going to be in for a treat, I'm sure about that.

Quote:
Holy shite. Them are some fighting words. I may have to plagiarize that and use it as my signature, especially on head-fi, once I have the HJE in my hands.

Or, better yet, "The Fischer Audio DBA-02 play sound waves, the HJE play music."
Heh, I guess that was a sensationalist enough slogan. I should try writing for Engadget/Gizmodo, "HJE900 - the iPod stock earbuds killer!"

Of course I do find the RE0 to be good phones for their current going price of $79 - and the same can be said for other more flat, linear, analytic phones like the PFE, q-Jays, or the like. It's the same as comparing studio monitors to living room speakers - they're just in very different categories, made for very different requirements, or sound preferences. The HJE sure falls in the category of euphonic phones with great timbre, while the RE0 and the others are overly neutral and maybe 'honest', yet not very exciting. One man's meat is another one's poison, or so they say...

Quote:
You must have at least one trustworthy friend from here who resides in the UK and could purchase a pair on your behalf then post them to you. If this was a sale in the US, I'd definitely do that for you.
I already found a way. Whee!

Old 07-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you sure it was released in June 2008? The press release dates Jan 2009.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...72009021026756

Old 07-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

They were released in the US in May 2009 (only the press release is from January), but in Japan they were released in June 2008: http://en.akihabaranews.com/18511/au...from-panasonic

Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Oh, I see... Well, that's a drastic half a year gap.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Heh, I guess that was a sensationalist enough slogan. I should try writing for Engadget/Gizmodo, "HJE900 - the iPod stock earbuds killer!"

Of course I do find the RE0 to be good phones for their current going price of $79 - and the same can be said for other more flat, linear, analytic phones like the PFE, q-Jays, or the like. It's the same as comparing studio monitors to living room speakers - they're just in very different categories, made for very different requirements, or sound preferences. The HJE sure falls in the category of euphonic phones with great timbre, while the RE0 and the others are overly neutral and maybe 'honest', yet not very exciting. One man's meat is another one's poison, or so they say...

I already found a way. Whee!
You know, I jest about the RE0. I know there are warmer 'phones and more neutral 'phones. It may turn out that I actually like analytic 'phones over warmer 'phones. We'll just have to see. I actually think I'd like the RE0s but when I read your review, you pointed out the build quality and the paper filter--which completely turned me off for a $80 pair of 'phones. I wish Head Direct would make a higher build quality of the RE0; I wouldn't even mind paying a little bit more--say $100--for a higher build quality version. I like the Panasonics because they seem to have a very high build quality in addition to the very good sound quality.

Very glad to hear you found a way to get those Panasonics from the UK! I'm assuming then that play.com is a legit merchant?

Damn Brits are so lucky to have play.com. They have utterly unbelievable prices on earphones!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, the initial price of the RE0 was $169 or so - which is a total ripoff for their build quality. The newer RE252 even went for $229 or so - and they are built like some $2 stock earbuds that come with off-brand OEM players... some people don't care about anything but sound, it seems. The build quality you get with the Panasonics for $120 is so much above the league of the various RE* phones, it's not even funny. Well, even for the Panasonic's MSRP of $229 (and above) it's still the best build quality I've seen.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Panasonic does have economies of scale on their side - not that I'm making any excuses for RE. At least my Hippo VB has an aluminium enclosure!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Contributing Editor

A little off topic, but Panasonic seems to make some amazing products if you look through their lineup. Their high end TVs are best in category, their cameras especially the coveted LX3 and new LX5, their camcorders, their toughbook laptops, these buds. They make some very good products with outstanding build quality. I wish they would continue to put themselves out there and compete with the Sony's and LG's and Samsung's.

I am so excited for these headphones. They really look amazong in these pics (but dfkt can fool anyone with his photo skills) and I just can't wait to get them in my own hands and touch them. They really do look like polished little gemstones.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Panasonic always made pretty decent stuff. I am probably older than most of you guys and I well remember Panasonic as always being considered a quality maker of electronics. They were never a "Coby".

They also had their higher end division called Technics. Think Honda-Acura.

I am indeed going to grab these Panasonics myself soon.

cheers and congrats to all you folks who pulled the trigger already.

Impressions!!!
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post
A little off topic, but Panasonic seems to make some amazing products if you look through their lineup. Their high end TVs are best in category, their cameras especially the coveted LX3 and new LX5, their camcorders, their toughbook laptops, these buds. They make some very good products with outstanding build quality. I wish they would continue to put themselves out there and compete with the Sony's and LG's and Samsung's.
Another thread showing that Panasonic unfortunately does something wrong with their advertising - or at least by not releasing some of the specialized, good stuff internationally: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=55539

Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:

I am so excited for these headphones. They really look amazong in these pics (but dfkt can fool anyone with his photo skills) and I just can't wait to get them in my own hands and touch them. They really do look like polished little gemstones.
I've always liked Panasonic phones--not cell/mobile--but landline phones. Some model such as this one

Sony always had the brand name but I always liked the design of Panasonic phones better.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Another thread showing that Panasonic unfortunately does something wrong with their advertising - or at least by not releasing some of the specialized, good stuff internationally: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=55539
I think you are right about the advertising. I never see Panasonic being advertised in any media. I also rarely ever have (except people in the know) professionals pushing That brand either. Its a shame. I wonder what their financials look like compared to the bit companies out there.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:01 AM

Great review, really tempts me to buy these even though I'm happy with my current selection of 'phones and I have enough, haha. Love Panasonic products, they make great products and some of the best TVs money can buy.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I think you are right about the advertising. I never see Panasonic being advertised in any media. I also rarely ever have (except people in the know) professionals pushing That brand either. Its a shame. I wonder what their financials look like compared to the bit companies out there.
Financially, there is absolutely no comparision whatsoever. Panasonic is humongous. Here's the latest financial on Panasonic (NYSE: PC):
http://panasonic.net/ir/annual/2010/...ial/index.html

Net sales for the latest annual report 2010 was ~7.5 trillion yens. That's T for trillions. Still, they, like Sony, reported a net loss for the year.

Obviously it's not all due to the sale of headphones.

edit: UPS is out for final delivery! Damn I'm so excited!!! LOL

Last edited by NeedBalanceCtrl; 07-24-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:35 PM

I just got mine!

First of all, sorry lestatar for saying that I would get Maximo iMetal590 phones on my previous topic, but since I got delayed on the purchase I was able to save more money, and after I read this review I just thought 'I have to buy this!'.

So here I am. I bought them for 130€ from uk eBay shipping included. Ordered them last Friday, they took a week to get here. Not bad at all!

My previous history of IEMs are: EP-630, EP-830 (didn't like those at all) and Sony MDR-EX082 (hybrids). And taking a look at that it was to expect that by going to these RP-HJE900 it would sound much much better, but gosh, I never thought it could be that good!

I'm no expert but these phones are the best I've heard in my life. Attending to my history it's no shock, but I can say that I was quite surprised with this. I love all about them, the built quality is perfect imo, cable seems and feels like the best, as well the phones themselves, cable length etc etc.

I took a while to actually listen to them since I had a hard time stopping to appreciate such amazing phones. What to say about SQ... it takes music to a whole different level in my experience, and I mean it with all my heart, because honestly these made me smile for more than 5 minutes as soon as I pressed Play on my player. Lows are just the enough to me, mids seem a bit neutral but with a clean sound signature, highs are very detailed indeed, and the slightly sibilance as dfkt refereed on his review don't bother me at all, especially compared to what I've been listening to before.

I couldn't be happier with the Panasonic RP-HJE900. I strongly recommend them!

PS: Sorry if my post wasn't coherent at all, I have some troubles in doing so in English language.
PSS: Forgot to mention that these also fit my ears perfectly with Medium earpieces and isolation is quite good imo.

Last edited by sYlt; 07-23-2010 at 12:41 PM.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice post, sYlt - glad you seem to enjoy them as much as I do.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Contributing Editor

GOT EM'!!!!

Holy Sh*#! These are amazing quality. They feel like freakin' gems. They have a substantial feel to them. The cord is IMO perfectly made. Like dfkt said, not rubbery or too hard or soft, just right, basically perfect. The buds feel amazing. I threw them on for a couple minutes and they sound pretty damn good considering I haven't broken them in yet. They are very comfortable (medium tips) especially when going over the ear (another tip from dfkt).

All I have to say is THANKS dfkt! Seriously, this was an amazing find followed up by a great review. I'm actually glad you waited a couple years to do this so the price came down for us Made it a no brainer purchase.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@Sylt: LOL...no worries at all! While I do not have the Panasonics [yet!], without hearing them, there is likely no way in hell the Maximos would sound as good. Still, for the pricepoint the i590s are worthy of consideration IMO.

@kasrhp: man, I am sooo jealous...

@NBC: Well?? Hurry up and kill ur mailman! LOL

Congratulations to both of you. Enjoy them...please do post pics and more detailed impressions!

-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
@kasrhp: man, I am sooo jealous...

@NBC: Well?? Hurry up and kill ur mailman! LOL

-lestatar
Fracking UPS still hasn't delivered to my home yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYlt View Post
I just got mine!
Quote:
GOT EM'!!!!
Congrats to the both of you. I hope to join the party within the hour.