android
Go Back   abi>>forums > Miscellaneous Tech > Anythingbutiphone

View Poll Results: What is your preferred mobile phone formfactor?
Touch Screen Only 77 36.15%
Touch Screen with Horizontal Qwerty 106 49.77%
Candy Bar Qwerty 13 6.10%
Candy Bar Slider with Vertical Qwerty 13 6.10%
Other, Please Explain Below 4 1.88%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 PM
ABI Founder

Default What is Your Preferred Smartphone Formfactor?

Touch screen only seems to be the trend, but it certainly doesnt fit everyone's needs. Forget completely about the mobile OS- lets debate our favorite form factors. What formfactor is your favorite and why?

Touch Screen Only
Examples: iphone, EVO, Storm, HTC Incredible

Touch Screen With Horizontal Slider
Examples: Motorola Droid, HTC Touch Pro

Candy Bar Qwerty)
Examples: Blackberry, Treo, Samsung Jack

Candy Bar Slider with Vertical Qwerty
Examples: Palm Pre, Kin ONE

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

I voted Candybar Qwerty (and you named it correctly). I currently own the Samsung Jack, and would love a phone like the SE Aspen (if it were the Standard, non-touchscreen version). Problem is that smartphones with this formfactor fall into one of 3 categories; Blackberry (email runs through their servers), Windows Mobile (being killed off), or Symbian (no in-line HTML via email, underpowered, other issues).

The Samsung Jack is the ideal phone for me for now. I'm starting to lean towards the touchscreen only phone though (HTC Incredible is very appealing, but it too has issues).

Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Horizontal QWERTY - FTW!!! I like having a touchscreen, and I DO wish my phone had a better keyboard, as it's the 1 weakness it has (IMO). All the new phones are hot, especially the all-touch Galaxy S, but I really like the updated Droid 2. I just hope the processor is at LEAST 1Ghz.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:04 PM

I really like the Palm Pre's formfactor.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:51 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechyguyDR View Post
I really like the Palm Pre's formfactor.
Ah a format i didnt thing about, i guess that would be a Candy Bar Qwerty Vertical Slider? I guess that would be the same form factor as the Kin ONE then huh? I enjoyed that formfactor- nice compact and easy one handed use.

Edit: added the format to the poll.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Candy bar form factor overall for me.

For email/data usage, nothing beats tactile Qwerty buttons. I will own anyone using any touchscreen virtual keypad in accuracy and speed when composing messages.

As I have not [and will not until forced] move to a true smartphone, I will continue to use a dedicated cell phone in this formfactor like the Nokia 6300. Next phone soon will be the Nokia 6700 Classic....

:-D
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Contributing Editor

I really like the Palm Pre form factor, but it has its limits. After having the Nexus One and a 3.7" screen, there is no going back. I dont think a screen that big could work with a candybar slider. So, Ill stick to horizontal slider. An all touch screen is great, but I sometimes miss my G1 keyboard.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

touchscreen w/ horizontal qwerty, best of both worlds imo, choice of physical or onscreen keyboard

Old 07-22-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Horizontal QWERTY - FTW!!! I like having a touchscreen, and I DO wish my phone had a better keyboard, as it's the 1 weakness it has (IMO). All the new phones are hot, especially the all-touch Galaxy S, but I really like the updated Droid 2. I just hope the processor is at LEAST 1Ghz.
Droid 2 will be using a TI OMAP 36xx CPU at 1ghz. Basically, same CPU/GPU combo as the Iphone 3GS and original Droid, but at a higher clock speed. Should offer computing performance within striking distance of the Snapdragon, but GPU performance is much MUCH better.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Droid 2 will be using a TI OMAP 36xx CPU at 1ghz. Basically, same CPU/GPU combo as the Iphone 3GS and original Droid, but at a higher clock speed. Should offer computing performance within striking distance of the Snapdragon, but GPU performance is much MUCH better.
Sweet - now I'm interested.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I would love having a horizontal qwerty but not at the cost of huge bulk, especially if the keypad is terrible. The phone would still mostly be a touch screen phone.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post

Candy Bar Slider with Vertical Qwerty
Examples: Palm Pre, Kin ONE

Here's a more modern (or rather, futuristic) example, the dell Lightning. I'll be interested if Dell makes an Android version.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
Here's a more modern (or rather, futuristic) example, the dell Lightning. I'll be interested if Dell makes an Android version.

I was looking for that photo... But do you call that a Candy Bar Slider with Vertical Qwerty or a Touch Screen with Horizontal Slider... in other words, is this a different form factor compared to the Palm Pre?

I like the idea of this, but im not sure until i try it.

I am also a bit unsure about Dell hardware. I am pretty convinced with HTC after the Incredible and other handsets ive seen first hand.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:05 AM

Looks to be the exact same concept as the Pre to me.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well the Palm Pre and Kin One were both touch screen devices as well, so yeah, same thing. The Lightning just seems to have a bigger screen. I have to admit it would be interesting to try, but honestly I would use a landscape qwerty more because Finnish has such huge ass words... Like lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliups eerioppilas, which probably wont even fit on a 4" landscape screen but it'll make it easier to see if you made a typo in at least the first or last half of the word.

Btw, I personally prefer the term Landscape and Portrait instead of Horizontal and Vertical, easier to type and say.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Touch screen with horizontal slider. That means that it can have as large of a screen and keyboard as possible, and with my huge fingers...

Old 07-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Touch screen with horizontal qwerty. I lile touch screens, but I must have a "real" keyboard. The next phone I will obtain will have both elements. Sorry iPhone, you are out!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 05:03 PM

I'm with the Horizontal QWERTY people. I love the form-factor of my N900. If it was running Android it would be a nearly perfect phone, but since Nokia hates Android my N900 is sitting in a box in my room.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:06 PM

I voted horizontal QWERTY cause I got the Moto Droid mainly for it having a physical keyboard(and the screen ), however I kinda like the idea of a vertical keyboard like the Pre or BB for one handed use (impossible with horizontal keyboard). Even with the Swype beta on my Droid I still find it quicker to type on a real tactile keyboard.

PS I think the keyboard is the main reason why BBerry is still on top for smart phones, I see a lot of then carried around by college students (easier SMS and other IM).

Last edited by chaos1234; 07-25-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 AM

I'm definitely faster on a physical keyboard as well. More importantly (for me) I make far fewer typing errors when using a physical keyboard. Swype is great for long words, but I can't tell you how many times I try to write "of" and get "off" instead. Correcting all the typos I get with Swype is pretty annoying.