android
Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 AM

Help S9 not recognising files / folders

I use an S9 with a Windows PC running XP SP3. Mostly I play 16/44.1 FLAC files. No problems until last week (I bought the S9 October 2009), when the S9 stopped recognising that some folders had any content. The folders show up in the browser, but if I try to go into some folders, the S9 hangs and I have to reset. If I play a folder and leave it playing, after the last file in the folder, it will skip one or more folders until it finds one it likes. I tried upgrading to 2.52, still got the same problem. Using explorer on the PC, I can see the files in the folders, and even play them through my PC. On a couple of occasions, renaming the folder through Explorer has persuaded the S9 to recognize it, and sometimes it recognizes a newly copied folder just fine. Not often though!

Anyone seen similar? Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 AM

Looks like the filesystem on your S9 might be corrupted. I suggest that you hook it up to a PC and run chkdsk on it. Else you may have to reformat it

Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Good thought, but no dice. Chkdsk says it's FAT32, no problems.

As far as I know, I shouldn't reformat the S9, that'd brick it. I will delete all content off it, then reinstall the firmware, see if that helps.

Other than that, I'm waiting for a reply from Cowon, via the website I bought it from.

Cheers!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:55 PM

In that case the problem is in the s9 db. Try to force it to rebuild the db by adding/deleting a file the next time you hook it up to a PC.

It should be ok to format the S9 as long as you use the FAT32 filesystem. I've had to reformat mine in the past when I had a similar problem after hooking it up to a mac. If you do not want to risk that, you can simply delete the system folder - after creating a backup of course. The S9 will recreate a new one and rebuild the file db.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:33 PM

Windows 7 autoplay scan fixed that problem for me...