android
Old 07-19-2009, 05:10 PM

Default Ringke case review (ebay seller yj2446)

So I finally got my Ringke case from ebay seller yj2446, and I have to say that everything that's been said about this case is true. Compared to any other silicone case I've had in the past, this thing blows all of them away in terms of workmanship and appearance. The material is a lot smoother, won't get stuck in your pants if you try to put it inside a pocket, and literally hugs the cowon so there aren't any loose or hanging ends. The only exposed portions are the screen, the usb port, and the power button.

As for the button impressions, they all look great and I had no problems accessing the actual buttons on the player itself. People, if you want a silicone case or even any case for that matter, this is the one to get. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera at the moment. But once I do I'll post some hi res pictures here.

Now on to the seller yj2446. I was a little skeptical at first, considering they didn't have any ebay feedback to speak of. However, it took only about a week to get from Seoul to San Francisco where I'm based. Overall, the cost was $25 which is much better than the $37-40 you would end up spending at bestfromkorean.com. Highly recommended.

Just a note: yj2446 doesn't put labels on the various auctions b/w the ispeaker and the Ringke silicon cases. However, you can tell the difference by looking for pictures where the cases are imposed against a black background. Here's an example

http://cgi.ebay.com/COWON-S9-Silicone-Skin-Cool-Grey-Color-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ320400529243QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_ MP3_Player_Accessories?hash=item4a995c175b&_trksid =p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A1|39%3A1|72%3 A1205|293%3A1|294%3A25

EDIT: as promised here are the pictures

Last edited by impactofal; 07-19-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: adding pictures

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The thing I very much hate about the zCover silicon case for my X5 is that it is extremely... rubbery - it's getting caught in my clothes and it's a real hassle getting it out of my trouser's pockets. Is the Ringke case less "magnetic", does it have less friction?

(I see our very own member The Darkside bought from that eBay guy... so all is fine. )

Old 07-19-2009, 05:47 PM

Definitely, I've tried it in both jeans and work slacks and it doesn't have the stickiness problem as with other cases. Also, I like the fact that it doesn't attract lint itself.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:53 PM

Does that mean the mic hole is also covered?

EDIT: ok, just checked the link to the picture, and there are some close up pictures of the case from various angles. The reset button and mic are left open.

However, I noticed the black one is so much more cheaper (at $7.59) Any guesses as to why that is?

Link here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320401305319

Old 07-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It doesn't say Ringke anywhere for the black one, so I guess it's your average generic silicon case.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:18 PM

The ones that are selling for 6.99-7.99 instead of 19.99 are the ispeaker cases. Those I think use traditional silicone (i.e. the sticky, lint attracting ones), and leave the bottom of the s9 more or less uncovered. All I can really say is, if you've used regular silicone cases for other devices, the Ringke one will be a very very welcome change

Also, from my older posts, I asked yj2446 if he'd be willing to carry the Ringke cases since they were superior. He was already carrying the ispeaker ones, and as such, I'm assuming he was able to purchase those at a bulk rate. The Ringke cases come out to about $9-10 US from the rearth website, when you apply the KR-US exchange rate. I guess this also means he's essentially doubling the markup :P

Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the review. I bought a black one from ebay after reading about the Ringke case in these forums. Mine should hopefully arrive soon and I'm even more excited to get it after seeing the pics you posted since the ebay seller only had one stock photo that did not do a good job of showing how it looks.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:32 PM

I just my Ringke S9 case (chocolate) from yj2446 as well. Fast delivery - 7 days from Korea to northeast U.S. Really nice material - glossier than regular silicone but not as shiny as it appears in impactofal's photos. It has almost a leather-like appearance and feel (well maybe a cheap leather anyway). Still a bit pricey perhaps, but it's definitely a step up from your usual silicone case.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:25 PM

I just received my charcoal Ringke case for my S9 from the same seller. It took 7 days total as well.

The case was easy to slip on to the S9 and it is aligned and molded correctly to have an exact fit over the S9, like putting on a custom made suit. The case doesn't add much more heft or size to S9 and in some ways I like that it's tackier than the nude S9 since I won't be as concerned that it will slip out of my hands.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:20 PM

When you guys say it took 7 days, is that including weekends, or just weekdays (i.e. business days)?

Last edited by gleipnir; 07-23-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:02 PM

Mine took 7 days total (including the weekend).

FYI - I just noticed that yj2446 is selling most of the brightly colored Ringke S9 cases (cobalt blue, red, lemon, lavender, cream, etc.) on ebay at a "buy it now" price of $19.95 or for your "best offer" (plus $5.00 shipping)!! This sounds like a good opportunity to perhaps pick up one of these great cases for a cheaper than usual price if you like (or don't mind) a flashy colored case.

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/yj2446...Q_fromZQQ_ipgZ

Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 AM

Hey guys, just received my Ringke Case. The FASTEST shipping ever. Arrived here in Canada in only 6 days (4 business days) total! Arrived here before my zagg IS did...which apparently takes 7-10 business days to ship (USPS).

The only thing I have against this case would be that it greatly reduces the tactile feedback. I thought the tactile feedback on the play/pause button was bad enough before...but now, I can't feel a THING. 100% of the time, I will NOT be able to know if I actually pressed it or not, unless I have earphones plugged in, and I'm listening the music (which makes the hold button > main menu function sort of hard). However, I LOVE the material, and it fits the S9 PERFECTLY. Still recommended.

Oh, and also, I just realized that it's sort of hard to access the scroll bar now...so I can't tap it to a general location before I start scrolling through the actual list. All of these are just minor cons I guess...a case is still better than no case at all!

Last edited by gleipnir; 07-28-2009 at 12:15 PM.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM

I purchased the Ringke (charcoal) case from the same ebay seller. Fast shipping and I think a great product. Even with this case on I can still slip the S9 into my arm band case, that makes it awesome.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:02 PM

I ordered a cool grey case on 8/13 and it still hasn't came. Maybe it will come today or tomorrow.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleipnir View Post
Hey guys, just received my Ringke Case. The FASTEST shipping ever. Arrived here in Canada in only 6 days (4 business days) total! Arrived here before my zagg IS did...which apparently takes 7-10 business days to ship (USPS).

The only thing I have against this case would be that it greatly reduces the tactile feedback. I thought the tactile feedback on the play/pause button was bad enough before...but now, I can't feel a THING. 100% of the time, I will NOT be able to know if I actually pressed it or not, unless I have earphones plugged in, and I'm listening the music (which makes the hold button > main menu function sort of hard). However, I LOVE the material, and it fits the S9 PERFECTLY. Still recommended.

Oh, and also, I just realized that it's sort of hard to access the scroll bar now...so I can't tap it to a general location before I start scrolling through the actual list. All of these are just minor cons I guess...a case is still better than no case at all!
Old thread I know. Sorry to bring it alive again, but I just wanted to post and say a big thanks for the very detailed comments. It helps a lot. Was thinking of purchasing a Ringke case for the J3, but given your comments above, I'm going to have to carefully re-evaluate the pros and cons.

F/K/A Need Balance Control