android
Old 07-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Viking View Post
Damn dfkt, that's flippin' sweet. Looks like you can get them for $130.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCsQ8wIwAg#
I google searched it. Got the last ones off amazon for $120. Lucky me

Last edited by kasrhp; 07-16-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-16-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite_6 View Post
How do these compare to the PFEs? Better overall?
The PFE are generally neutral, linear, analytic phones, while the HJE are more of the euphonic, dynamic, 'musical' variety. Those two flavors of phones are a bit hard to compare, something like studio monitors vs. living room loudspeakers. Which flavor one likes is mostly a matter of personal preference, of the music one listens to, and such.

The PFE have a tiny bit more overall precision (pretty much best in class), they isolate a bit more, they have less bass quantity, and a bit more forward midrange. Treble is pretty similar between the two, with the HJE being a bit more 'hot'. Sound stage is better on the HJE, they also have more 'punch' to the sound, and build quality of course is better as well. They're also easier to fit in one's ears.

So there's basically only one solution: get both.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
NBC: good for you! Hope you love em. Man, I am indeed entranced but I know myself - I need to let things simmer before I pull the trigger. :-)

Please be sure to post back your impressions! :-D

btw, I own the EP630 - I always found them pretty good....Until I started hanging around here and getting an education. They still sound ok, but don't compare to some of my more recent IEM acquisitions.
lestatar, thanks! I certainly hope I love them too. Otherwise it would be an expensive lesson. This was actually not a spur of the moment purchase. I had been mulling over these phones for a few days and had been PMing with dfkt privately about them.

I'm a greenhorn when it comes to expensive IEMs, so my comments won't mean much but I will do the courtesy of following up with my greenhorn impression.

I know the EP630 isn't considered anything great. I like them for their shape/comfort for sleeping. SQ wise, I know its bass is considered "muddy". I do want something with more clarity, but I don't think I want something that's too analytic. I believe, and hope, the Panasonics will fit what I believe is my preference, but I won't really know until I hear these 'phones. I'm very much looking forward to testing these out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The Super.Fi tips are my absolute favorite. They isolate as good as it gets for single flance silicon - they're made from thicker material, and they have no visible injection mold ridges, so they're a bit more comfy than other tips, at least for my ears.
dfkt, if you have the time and inclination, can you post a few images of these tips? I'd like to see what you're referring to. Thanks.

F/K/A Need Balance Control

Old 07-16-2010, 06:58 AM

They are the tips that are visible in all photos of the review.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/uleareti.html

Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Contributing Editor

What foam tips would you recommend for them? I looked at Comply's website and they do not have hje900 specific tips. I would like to see how much noise isolation I could get with some foam tips (for travel at least) for these compared to my Sony Noise Cancelling cans. Any thoughts on that either?

Old 07-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Any Complys that fit UE Super.Fi or Senn CX300 will fit the Panas too.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Can anyone tell me what's the difference between the RP-HJE900E and RP-HJE900E-K ones? I found both names and i can't find any difference between them.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Balance Control View Post
lestatar, thanks! I certainly hope I love them too. Otherwise it would be an expensive lesson. This was actually not a spur of the moment purchase. I had been mulling over these phones for a few days and had been PMing with dfkt privately about them.
LOL...yes, so dfkt told me.

Quote:
I know the EP630 isn't considered anything great. I like them for their shape/comfort for sleeping...SNIPPED...
So funny...you and me both NBC. My EP630 and my Senn CX300's have both been relegated to under pillow sleeping duty for me as well. They are so low profile I can sleep comfortably with them in my ears in any position I may end up.

And as a fellow IEM greenhorn [I like that!] I for one am very interested in yours and everyone else's reactions to the Panas.

For someone as experienced and demonstrably objective as dfkt is to feel so positively about these things speaks volumes to me.

Oh yeah, I am jealous too...for the moment
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-16-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
The PFE are generally neutral, linear, analytic phones, while the HJE are more of the euphonic, dynamic, 'musical' variety. Those two flavors of phones are a bit hard to compare, something like studio monitors vs. living room loudspeakers. Which flavor one likes is mostly a matter of personal preference, of the music one listens to, and such.

The PFE have a tiny bit more overall precision (pretty much best in class), they isolate a bit more, they have less bass quantity, and a bit more forward midrange. Treble is pretty similar between the two, with the HJE being a bit more 'hot'. Sound stage is better on the HJE, they also have more 'punch' to the sound, and build quality of course is better as well. They're also easier to fit in one's ears.

So there's basically only one solution: get both.
Oh jeez, I can't afford that. . .

Thanks for the comparison.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
They are the tips that are visible in all photos of the review.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/uleareti.html
Oh, I thought those were ones which came with the panasnoics. Now I need to find a good close up photo of the ones which came with the Panasonics.

Thanks for the link.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
For someone as experienced and demonstrably objective as dfkt is to feel so positively about these things speaks volumes to me.
So true.

This is going to sound weird to some, but I'm glad not too many fanboys or 'audiophiles' are touting the Panasonics. If they were, I may just assume they're FOTM 'phones. The fact that few reviews have been posted about these 'phones, and the fact that dfkt's general disposition when it comes to reviews is conservative and objective, make me believe these are the real deal.

BTW, J&R came through and shipped my pair on Friday. I have the UPS tracking # and I see it moving through their transport-stream. They are due to arrive next Friday. It's going to be one LONG week.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Contributing Editor

Tell me about it. Mine have not been shipped yet either, and Im trying to wait patiently.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYlt View Post
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between the RP-HJE900E and RP-HJE900E-K ones? I found both names and i can't find any difference between them.
In Japan, RP-HJE900-W is white, RP-HJE900E-K is black.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
In Japan, RP-HJE900-W is white, RP-HJE900E-K is black.
Thanks!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:32 PM

dfkt, have you used any of the CX 300/creative 630/Sony 51/71 phones? If so, can you comment on the isolation of the Panasonic as opposed to the above mentioned 'phones? From the review, I get a sense that the Panasonics will actually isolate less than the above 'phones. Am I correct in my understanding or do I need to be corrected? Thanks.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

NBC, you really should consider gifting me a set of those Panasonics - I own both the EP630 and CX300 so I would be happy to tell you my opinion of the relative isolation of each.

Don't mean to speak for dfkt, but judging from his chart, he rates the Panas the same in isolation to the VBs, as "medium".

With this in mind and from my own perspective, the VBs isolate pretty darn well [I would categorize them as being "medium to high"] - perhaps I am just lucky and get a really good seal from the Sony Hybrid tips I have been using with the VBs almost since day 1. If this is the case and the Panasonics are anywhere close to the VBs in this area, I can say with utmost confidence that the Panas will isolate much better than both the EP630 and the CX300.

Those 2 offer much less passive isolation for me than my VBs.

ymmv, just my 2 cents...
-lestatar

PS: ping me and I will send you my mailing address for those Panasonics...
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 07-19-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
NBC, you really should consider gifting me a set of those Panasonics - I own both the EP630 and CX300 so I would be happy to tell you my opinion of the relative isolation of each.

Don't mean to speak for dfkt, but judging from his chart, he rates the Panas the same in isolation to the VBs, as "medium".

With this in mind and from my own perspective, the VBs isolate pretty darn well [I would categorize them as being "medium to high"] - perhaps I am just lucky and get a really good seal from the Sony Hybrid tips I have been using with the VBs almost since day 1. If this is the case and the Panasonics are anywhere close to the VBs in this area, I can say with utmost confidence that the Panas will isolate much better than both the EP630 and the CX300.

Those 2 offer much less passive isolation for me than my VBs.

ymmv, just my 2 cents...
-lestatar

PS: ping me and I will send you my mailing address for those Panasonics...
Thanks for the feedback lestatar. In regards to me gifting my pair of Panasonics. There is a tiny flaw in your logic. In order for me to gift you my pair, I have to receive them first before I can ship 'em to you. But if I already have the pair in my hands, I can test out the isolation myself against my Sony and Creatives. I wouldn't need any feedback from others. Good try though.

This wait is killing me. It's only Monday. The pair won't arrive until Friday.

edit: This is a photo from Amazon of a stock pair of RP-HJE900

The tips look exactly like my current tips on my Creative 630; also like those on my Sony's.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:31 AM

Quote:
dfkt, have you used any of the CX 300/creative 630/Sony 51/71 phones? If so, can you comment on the isolation of the Panasonic as opposed to the above mentioned 'phones? From the review, I get a sense that the Panasonics will actually isolate less than the above 'phones. Am I correct in my understanding or do I need to be corrected? Thanks.
Yes, I do have a pair of the first generation CX300. I've also been using them with the same Super.Fi silicon tips as I use with the HJE900. They isolate about the same. Maybe the CX300 isolate the tiniest bit more when it comes to broadband noise, if my memory serves me right, but the difference should be negligible in daily use.

(Then again, the CX300 are very picky when it comes to transmitting wind noise, while the HJE900 aren't susceptible for that.)

Old 07-20-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, I do have a pair of the first generation CX300. I've also been using them with the same Super.Fi silicon tips as I use with the HJE900. They isolate about the same. Maybe the CX300 isolate the tiniest bit more when it comes to broadband noise, if my memory serves me right, but the difference should be negligible in daily use.

(Then again, the CX300 are very picky when it comes to transmitting wind noise, while the HJE900 aren't susceptible for that.)
Thanks dfkt. Appreciate the comments.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hmm, re: the CX300 - dfkt, you are cheating and using different tips.

NBC, my comments about the relatively poor isolation of the CX300/EP630 were due of course to the fact that I only use the stock tips on em. With nice ones like dfkt always uses, not surprised at all isolation would be better.

Bottom line: dfkt knows what the heck he is talking about whereas I....
A Glossary for Newbies