android
Old 06-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
You forgot the most important part of the Fuze, which is the scroll wheel. The Clip+ lacks the wheel, however the Clip+ has dedicated volume controls which the Fuze doesn't have. Why can't Sandisk give us a player with both a scroll wheel and dedicated volume buttons, which has a standard mini USB connector? It would be even nicer though if it also has an easily swappable battery.
The scroll wheel is over-rated. How many times have we seen someone post that their scroll wheel is stuck, or something along those lines? The buttons of the Clip+ are better.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Viking View Post
lestatar, thought you were going to get one?
I still might - just cooling off a bit as i have my hands full with some recent purchases as a result of finding ABi...

@jk98: You are right of course - I did omit the scroll wheel for the Fuze [thought that was kinda obvious], but great call on the dedicated volume controls on the Clip/+
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-15-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
I still might - just cooling off a bit as i have my hands full with some recent purchases as a result of finding ABi...
I hear ya. Between here and head-fi, lol. It's fun trying out the new stuff though. After I get back to work, and after Christmas, I think I'm going to splurge and get the Headstage Arrow 12HE amp. Who knows, I might be into something different by then.

Amp: PA2V2, Fiio E3, FiiO E7, FiiO E5, FiiO E11, FiiO E6, FiiO E10

Old 06-15-2010, 10:23 PM

Some interesting points about the risk of dropping the Fuze vs. Clip+, and the scroll wheel. I'm leaning towards the Fuze, mostly for the larger screen and the thickness in a flat pocket.
For those that have lived with a Clip for a while in different situations/clothing - where do you tend to keep it during use? I'm thinking clipped on the outside of my shirt pocket would be awkward to use, and awkward looking.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 PM

I've dropped my Clip+ a few times, but I have a rubber on it, and it was dropped on the carpeting, so, no biggie. When I wear my Clip+ at work, I clip it to the outside of my shirt pocket, and put the cord winder for my IEM's in my pocket behind it. Works very well.

Amp: PA2V2, Fiio E3, FiiO E7, FiiO E5, FiiO E11, FiiO E6, FiiO E10

Old 06-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrimson View Post
Some interesting points about the risk of dropping the Fuze vs. Clip+, and the scroll wheel. I'm leaning towards the Fuze, mostly for the larger screen and the thickness in a flat pocket.
For those that have lived with a Clip for a while in different situations/clothing - where do you tend to keep it during use? I'm thinking clipped on the outside of my shirt pocket would be awkward to use, and awkward looking.
I clip mine on my shirt pocket, with the face of the player facing my heart. It's not awkward to use at all, I don't think. In fact, if the Fuze was in the same pocket, you'd most likely need the hold switch to be on, so the scroll wheel didn't adjust your volume when you moved. But if you needed to adjust volume, or pause it, you'd have to pull it out of the pocket and turn off the hold. No hold required with the Clip+, although it does have one.As far as being awkward looking....I go everywhere with mine there, and I haven't seen anybody pointing and laughing yet.

The convenience of the Clip+ far outweighs the larger screen on the Fuze.....unless you are really hung up on album art (which is over-rated IMO). I have 2 other players that support album art anyways.

Video isn't anything special on the Fuze, assuming you get it on there in the first place. The lack of separate volume buttons on the Fuze sucks, as does the special USB cable you have to use.Also, the screen on the Fuze scratches very easily if you don't put a screen protector on it, whereas the Clip+ and the original Clip are pretty scratch-resistant.....no need for a screen protector or case with them.

The only thing the Fuze has over the Clip+, as far as I am concerned, is battery life. Before you write me off as a Clip+ fanboy that hates the Fuze, I don't hate the Fuze....I had one as my very first MP3 player, for almost a year....I simply like the Clip/Clip+ better.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
...SNIPPED...unless you are really hung up on album art (which is over-rated IMO)....
Album art rules! As do playlists...

Seriously, Marv makes fine points IMO about the Clip+...from what I have demo'd the Clip+ actually seems pretty indestructible! The Fuze is for sure, a bit more delicate....FWIW...
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 06-16-2010, 04:28 PM

I'm just going to have to take better care of my refurb'ed Fuze then I did my refurb'ed e270.
I cancelled with Dell, and placed an order for a refurb'ed 8GB Fuze at Tiger, for $54.78 (49.99 plus US shipping). In the end, it was memories of enjoying different themes, album art and hours of playing Bubbles, along with the thought of squeezing a 3rd nipple that convinced me.

So for Rockbox, can I just use the standard installer on the Fuze (as I've been reading for the Clip), or do I need to do a manual install, or should I just wait for now until its more stable?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You probably want to ask your Fuze questions in that forum, or go to Rockbox.org and find your answers directly.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:11 AM

Well, I jumped on the good price and ordered from Dell on 6-9; still don't have it. Dell originally gave me an estimated delivery date of 6-28 (wonder why the heck it should take that long). Today I got an email from them telling me there's been a delay and the new expected date for delivery is 7-13!

Since this was not a purchase for "need", but just because it was a really good deal on what so many people say is a really great player, I'm not in a particular hurry. My main player is my iAudio 7 and it's still in use daily, so I'll continue to wait.

It will be interesting to see just how long it does take for me to get the clip.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Dell got hammered with orders on this. Every deal tracking site on the planet had a link to this deal. I saw the deal on slickdeals.net and dealnews.com. I ordered on 6/8, then got an email later in the day telling me that the order would be delayed and the estimated arrival date was 6/30.

I got an email today telling me it's delayed again and the estimated delivery date is now 7/15, and I need to contact them within 24 hours if I don't want my order automatically canceled.

I thought about canceling since I already have an 8GB Fuze, but I originally wanted an 8GB Clip. Nobody had them 8GB Clips in stock, and since the Fuze had a microSD slot, I decided to just go with it. I use it in the gym and connect it to my car stereo when driving. I still find the Fuze a bit big and bulky to wear on my arm at the gym, but it's a lot better than the Toshiba GigabeatS that it replaced.

I decided to keep it because $40 for a new 8GB Clip+ probably won't come around for a long time. I might be able to sell my Fuze for $40, or I might keep it and just use it in the car.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 PM

I received mine today. Paired it up with a 16gb microSD card. Really nice.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The scroll wheel on my 22 month old Fuze only stuck once, and I was able to fix it easily enough. I greatly prefer the scroll wheel on the Fuze to the buttons on the Clip+.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The scroll wheel on my 22 month old Fuze only stuck once, and I was able to fix it easily enough. I greatly prefer the scroll wheel on the Fuze to the buttons on the Clip+.
It totally sucks not having a dedicated volume control....I may not consider a Fuze or its replacement, whenever that might be, ever again, unless there is at least a dedicated volume control....in fact, they should just ape the whole Clip+ button layout. Scroll wheels are so old-school and iPod-esque.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Turning a wheel was a great gimmick for Apple. However, my fingers don't seem to cotton easily to tuning a wheel to go up or down, they instinctually just want to press a button on the top or bottom to go in those directions, as on the Clips or with the Fuze's top and bottom button areas.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 AM

I finally received mine in the mail. (Ordered on 6/8, received on 7/9).

I'm using it with an 8GB microSD card and loaded it up last night.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 AM

I got min Monday, it's charged and loaded. Can't wait until I go to the gym Thursday. I've seen pictures of this thing compared to the Fuze, but until you see it in person, you just don't really know how small it is. I thought going from a Toshiba GigabeatS strapped to my arm, to an 8GB Fuze was a big size difference, but this little thing is practically weightless.

I haven't decided how I'm going to "wear" it. I wear sleeveless shirts when I work out, and I don't like the way it feels clipped to the collar. I can clip it on the "sleeve" part and it's OK, or I have a lanyard that will fit on the clip part and hang it around my neck.

Now I have to decide what to do with my Fuze. I figured I'd keep it for use in the car since it has better battery life which will come in handy on long trips, but the Clip+ is so small, it would be more convenient to toss in the car.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 AM

Roll the bottom edge of your shirt and fit it into the clip such that the rolled part is up into the gap and the bottom of the clip only holds one layer of cloth. I find it best to put the player on my side. It doesn't bounce around that way although if you brush your arm against your side while running on the treadmill it might not be the best spot.

The Clip is so small that I have repeatedly knocked it off and it just dangles on the cord.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrimson View Post
In use, I either clip it to the inside of my shirt pocket or to the inside of where my shirt buttons up (I don't wear t-shirts).

When not in use, I store it inside the coin pocket of my jeans.