android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 PM

Lightbulb Thinking Out Loud: Zune hardware killed along with Kin

The Kin was recently shot in the face. Has the same happened to Zune hardware?

The Kin and Zune hardware both portray, now, individual components of WP7 through their own respective hardware. The Kin devices portrayed the social aspect and the Zune players portray the media aspect. Has Microsoft decided to roll everything into one team, focusing strictly on software for the converged device market?

Again, I'm just thinking out loud. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Blackwheel; 07-13-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-13-2010, 10:30 PM

Alot of people feel Microsoft is going that way as do I. We might see some firmware updates and advances that would come from wp7 but I doubt we will see alot. Most likely not going to see an hd2 as Microsoft even said their biggest efforts are with wp7. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 PM

I think there will continue to be a market for PMPs until smartphone data plans drop below $360 a year. The way I see it, I could buy a brand-new top-of-the-line media player every year with the money I save with a featurephone. Always-on data would be nice, but I feel like I have enough of a life (or at least enough wifi networks) to get by without it.

And now that I've expressed my thoughts, I also think that there's a good chance Microsoft realizes this. The only thing that makes me think we won't see any Zune hardware for a while is the recent restructuring and cuts made to the E&D department. That's enough of a shuffle to throw somethings out of whack. I imagine all efforts will be focused primarily towards pushing WP7 through the rubble unscathed.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenArms3 View Post
I think there will continue to be a market for PMPs until smartphone data plans drop below $360 a year. The way I see it, I could buy a brand-new top-of-the-line media player every year with the money I save with a featurephone. Always-on data would be nice, but I feel like I have enough of a life (or at least enough wifi networks) to get by without it.
Very logical, I agree. So why is the pmp market so stagnant right now?
There is nothing on the horizon, haven't heard anything from the major players,
is everyone just playing their cards closer to their chests this time around?

Old 07-13-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwheel View Post
Yeah i havent heard anything even rumors from the major retailers ex. Microsoft, Sony, and we havent heard of any ipod touch 4g in any bars yet so i doubt we will see anything this year.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwheel View Post
there are plenty of analyst reports about this. the market is saturated, and is converging on to phones. Most folks like the idea of not having to carry a phone, a camera, a PMP, etc. but having all that functionality available. So, it makes sense to let WP7 drive this convergence for MS, and to ride the zune service for as much as it can give. But, this doesn't mean the end of Zune PMPs... anything that drives wider acceptance of the zune service (WP7 going international for instance) can be a very good thing for zune hardware. It's a bit like xBox... it's the games, the online experience etc. that make it successful, and it's likely to converge into the TV or PC screen experience at some point, but in the meantime they are selling a TON of xBoxes.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticsman View Post
Yeah i havent heard anything even rumors from the major retailers ex. Microsoft, Sony, and we havent heard of any ipod touch 4g in any bars yet so i doubt we will see anything this year.
there has been some stuff about the 4th gen touch....front and rear cameras so far...and i can bet ya we will see the retina display as well.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
there has been some stuff about the 4th gen touch....front and rear cameras so far...and i can bet ya we will see the retina display as well.
Yeah, but there is nothing really credible, besides the fact that there was a space for a camera in third gen touch.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 AM

If Zune dies I will be soooooooo pissed.
A positive thing would be if WP7 minus phone got onto the Zune, then I would be happy.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:22 AM

I hate these threads. No offense to the OP, but I really do.

Its been said before, by many different members of the Zune Team that they will NOT be giving up on the device.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

I see a few things. Firstly, when asked on this very forum, Dave stated that there would be one follow up to the current generation Zune HD, but anything beyond that he could not comment or speculate on. Now, I'd be disappointed if they came out and said that the 64GB ZHD was THAT follow-up.

However, MS also made it clear by killing off their previous Zune models that they don't see it worth their time to be in the DAP market anymore. Therefore, they likely only see profit in devices like the Ipod Touch and Zune HD (The Ipod Touch has sold VERY well even in comparison to the Iphone). So it is likely that MS will continue to want to have a dedicated touch-screen PMP supporting the Zune ecosystem alongside their smartphones (WP7).

The first question is, do they converge? Will we see a phone and a separate PMP using WP7 (like the Iphone and Ipod Touch sharing an OS), or will we see WP7 only on phones, and the Zune PMP predominantly only using the media player, like we currently have? The second question, if we see WP7 on a media player, will MS continue to sell the hardware, or will they only license the software for multiple manufacturers?

MS so far hasn't integrated their Zune team into the WP7 team, like they have with the KIN team. This close to launch, that means there's still life in the Zune platform. The question now is, will Zune still be hardware, or will it just be a multi-platform software solution?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 PM

I would be very surprised if there isn't another Zune model. It seems to me that Dave has been doing plenty of hinting. Dave has also said that when you look at iPhone and iPod Touch that the spit is about 50/50 as far as sales go (forgive me if I got the numbers a little wrong Dave). So I don't see Microsoft ignoring that customer base.

I can think of some reasons why I wouldn't want my phone to be my only media player. I don't want to drain my phones battery and not be able to make calls. There are a lot of people that don't want or can't afford a data plan for their cell phone. I rarely see kids with smart phones, but I do see a lot of them with iPod Touches. So I think we will see another Zune that will run the Windows Phone 7 OS without the phone.

And the Zune HD is still about 2 months shy of being a year old. I wouldn't expect any announcements for a while.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
[snipped]The question now is, will Zune still be hardware, or will it just be a multi-platform software solution?
Exactly...but I think the answer is very time sensitive. For now, it's both. Tomorrow...? Depends on how well the Zune HD hardware sells.

(I also think killing the earlier generation hardware included at least partly the fact that to maintain them would require increased effort supporting 3 distinctly different platforms.)

Last edited by NSILMike; 07-14-2010 at 12:14 PM.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM

I love the idea of a Zune PMP OS. Freeing up the PMP market like the PC market, allowing you to choose hardware based on your needs and still be guaranteed a great software experience... After all, half the reason I chose the HD was because of the UI. I love the hardware too, but I'm sure many people would love to have something with more buttons. If Zune was an OS, they could find their perfect fit.

Heck, even make it able to load onto a jailbroken iPod Touch.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
will it just be a multi-platform software solution?
lol that could be their new slogan.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living In Lies View Post
lol that could be their new slogan.
wow... 6 dead mp3's...and you're on your 7th? remind me not to loan you anything...

Old 07-14-2010, 04:30 PM
Buddy

Just to be crystal clear, I haven't said ANYTHING about un-announced or un-released products.

From time to time I comment on the marketplace, on what competitors are doing, etc... but any inferral you take from those comments (ie: whether you consider them "hints") is your own. I'm certainly not giving insider info on future direction or products not released or announced.

I know, I know - all corporate-speak and stuff, but I want to be very clear on this. If there is any ambiguity, I'm going to get bombarded with "can't you just give us one little hint" emails/tweets...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:55 PM

Yeah, I didn't think confirming something like that was very characteristic of your posts here...

Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
wow... 6 dead mp3's...and you're on your 7th? remind me not to loan you anything...
It's 'cause I overuse them.
But hey, 7 is a lucky number!

Old 07-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Just to be crystal clear, <snip?>
Alas, the most ironic statement I've ever read on a web forum.

Yes, I know you can't reveal any facts about upcoming products and such. You're doing a great job of that too. No leaked photos of the next Zune HD yet, with only a couple months left at most until one should be released. I recommend no inkling of what's in the works until the new iPod Touch is revealed in September.

Be well,
Olley.