android
Old 01-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Default Sansa Clip Sort Order?

Does anyone know what the Sansa Clip uses to sort MP3s?

I have a radio show that I listen to from downloaded MP3s. The show is 3 hours long and each hour is its own seperate MP3

In the ID3 tags for Artist I put the date of the show, for the Track Title I put Hour 1, Hour 2 and Hour 3. I also put in the track info into the ID3 tag Hour 1 being Track 1, etc.

In the actual file system I have these shows sorted with a folder of the shows date ex. 01-01-09 then inside the folder the 3 MP3 files are named Hour 1.mp3, etc.

When I load these mp3's into the Clip and it refreshes its database, the shows are sorted backwards, Hour 3, 2, 1.

Does anyone know whats up? is this a known bug?

This is an 8GB Clip v02.01.16A

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-04-2009, 07:07 PM

(Are you using MTP or MSC? This post is referring to MSC)

I have had similar things happen, for no particular reason some tracks have been not placed in the order that the track numbers say. What I do to try and fix it is instead of selecting all the tracks at once and putting them in the clip's music folder as one big clump, I put in the tracks one by one, in the order they're supposed to be. Now, I have no idea if this actually helps or is just superstition-esque-ness, but it has fixed it in the one time this happened to me.

(In that one time, the tracks appeared in the order they show up in the music folder. For example/clarity, when loading a clump of files into the clip, for no reason the last, say, three tracks will show up first and then all the rest of the files in order. Then, turning on the clip, the tracks will be sorted like that; the last three tracks first and then all the rest in order)

Sorry if this doesn't help at all/doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by sharky; 01-04-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:27 PM

From what you are saying, it sounds like the clip is sorting by the time stamp of when the file was copied into the player?

I gave your suggestion a try. I 1st deleted all the mp3s for these shows off the player and then disconnected it so it would rebuild and clear the mp3s out of its database. Then I reconnected and copied the files one at a time in their proper order. The Clip is still sorting these backwards, Hour 3, 2, 1

I would also like to add that I also have an 8gb Fuze, and I just tried copying these files into it and they sort properly, so this is definately a problem related to the Clip

I am using MSC for both my Clip and Fuze. I still run Windows 2000, so MTP isn't an option for me

Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

To be a little more through with troubleshooting this, I pulled my old Sansa e280 out of the drawer, and loaded these same MP3s on it. They also sort properly.

(Wow I forgot how slow this player is in comparison to the Clip/Fuze)

Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Yes, that is what I meant. Strangely, it has only done it once, and I have no idea why it ever did it in the first place.
Sorry I can not be of more help! Everyone else around here is a lot smarter than me at this, so you should just wait for them to come with better suggestions :P

Old 07-11-2010, 03:02 PM

I had this problem on one of my old Clips, firmware 1.01.29 I think. No amount of messing with the id3 tags would fix the ordering. Upgrading firmware to current version (1.01.32) fixed it.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 AM

First, once the titles are loaded onto the clip, the usb mode is of no consequence, that only comes into play when hooked up to the computer.
For files loaded into the music directory, play order should be by impeded track# as shown in id tag. As suggested above, if that's not the case try a firmware upgrade. I've had funny things happen with the old M240, but the clip has always behaved itself.