android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa

Old 12-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Default Why do most people hate the User Interface?

Everyone is always saying how bad the UI is on Sansas. The icons could use a update in the view or fuze (like re-draw them), but it still looks better then a ipod.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 PM

no offence to people and Im not being smart but those people are probably idiots who cant use anything but ipod :P

Old 12-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

i don't like the interface because it looks to childish to me. I own an E200 and I think it could use a re-fresh. It just needs to be a bit more modern. It's just getting dated. They've used the same interface for years now...

Old 12-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [steve] View Post
Everyone is always saying how bad the UI is on Sansas. The icons could use a update in the view or fuze (like re-draw them), but it still looks better then a ipod.

I've never had a non-Sansa, although i'm late entering the fun and games So I really have nothing to compare it to asides from pics I've seen on the Internets and, unfortunately, a*cough*iPod*cough* that a certain overly-protective (of it) acquaintance of mine has(perhaps the $250 paid has something to do with that)

Old 12-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

i have a e280 and i think the ui is fine. its easy to use. what more can you ask for

Old 12-15-2008, 09:16 AM

Most likely there is some sort of tendency for these individuals to follow the heard, which in the case of modern MP3 players is headed towards those terrible things that we all call Ipods. What these individuals are really saying is "It's too hard to think for myself so I am going to go with the crowd." Thinking people tend to go with an MP3 player rather than the Ipod those that don't think tend to go for the Ipod.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:02 PM

IMO Sansa players need a UI like Zen's.

I don't know if Zen and Zen x-fi interface are the same, but I really like the x-fi's.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
i don't like the interface because it looks to childish to me. I own an E200 and I think it could use a re-fresh. It just needs to be a bit more modern. It's just getting dated. They've used the same interface for years now...
I agree completely on this, it just doesn't have that modern slick look which draws people to use the iPod...

Old 04-11-2009, 04:28 PM

I am not getting a Sansa JUST based on the interface, it's just not modern/sleek professional..like the Zune and iPod.

I had a Zen, but that was like, okay but it wasn't as good as Zune or iPod.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 PM

I think the interface is a bit lacking but given the other advantages the player has I don't mind it too much. When I bought my Fuze it cost a lot less than the nano for the same size and had many more features, not the least of which was video playback. I think that much makes the UI tolerable.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

the background is light blue, and the icons are very cheesy and the font is ugly.

i have a fuze and i dont mind it. but it definitely could be better. if they changed the icons so that its like a line drawing, and gave it a black background with a better font, it would be much better IMO

Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 AM

I liken it to using Palm. In today's world with all the touch based phones, the Palm OS looks very dated. On the other hand it's simple and easy to use. Just doesn't have the glitz of the icon/font on black screen that seems to add pop to all the new devices. Oh well. I'm not trying to wow people with the UI. If that's what people want to harp and nag on fine. Doesn't look professional? Yeah, if I had a nickel for every time someone said that when I showed off my Fuze at work related meeting...duh.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:37 AM

I had a Sansa Fuze for a short time and thought the screen was fine, comparable to that of my current Sony player. What I did have trouble with the player's user interface (UI) were the user controls, I found them awkward to use. Often, while using the scroll wheel, I would accidently hit the buttons under the wheel. For me, a UI improvement would be to separate the buttons from the scroll wheel (such putting them on a ring around the scroll wheel).
iTunes, MediaMonkey 4, Content Transfer, and Media Go 2.5,
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 10-30-2009, 01:32 PM

I think people don't like it because it's all blue and kiddy. And not very customizable - even iPods can be customized more than, say, the Fuze or Express. (I believe there are a few color schemes to choose from on the Fuze, though.)
I prefer the Sansa FW it because it's fast and fairly slick as far as navigation goes, especially on the new C+. And is has a force MSC mode, something not even Sony or Zune can do. Let alone iPod.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:39 PM

Seeing how ancient this bumped thread is, no wonder nobody mentioned Rockbox for most relevant Sansas yet...

Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 PM

As far as I'm concerned, if the user interface allows me to navigate and do what is necessary to do to listen to my music without much ado, I don't care how it looks, what font it uses, or what colour theme is used. That said, it could look a lot worse and I'd still own my Sansa Fuze, because I have other priorities which are much more important to me: Sound quality, price, and future expandability. If the price is right, the sound quality is good, and I can expand it as the cost of memory becomes cheaper, then I am confident that my purchase will be a satisfying long term investment. Build quality is also an obvious factor, and I find the Fuze to have exceeded my expectations in this regard, given its price, sound quality, and expandability. As for the scroll wheel, I find it an ideal solution for scrolling through my ever-growing list of music. I'm not too fond of the placement and operation of the power button, but given that it serves its purpose without being too cumbersome and given the rest of the package, this issue, like the complaints about the UI, is rather insignificant.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:25 PM

For a long time, Sansa OF didn't support folder navigation, which was near intolerable. I hear that's fixed in most recent versions for current players.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:37 PM

It's ugly and old. Same since I had my e200 which was a while ago. Could use an update, or just simply Rockbox it.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I thinks its better than the Sony UI

Old 07-07-2010, 02:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
I thinks its better than the Sony UI
I disagree.