android
Old 06-16-2010, 07:49 PM

Default Sansa e250 Accessing in Ubuntu Linux 9.04

How do I access my Sansa e250v1 under Ubuntu Linux 9.04 64-bit using RockBox?
I set the USB HID to No and it still does not show up in Linux and if USB HID is set to Yes it still will not show up. It shows up just fine in Windows 2000 as a removable drive and even sees the SD Memory card as a separate removable drive but in Linux it does not see the player at all
I had a similar problem with the Sandisk firmware where if I put it in MTP mode it would only see the player but not the memory card and if I put iy in MSC mode it would sometimes see the player and memory card but most of the time it did not see the player or memory card. I used the same Front USB part with a hub in Windows XP and Linux, with Windows XP it always saw the player and memory card but in Linux it would not see the player or memory card most of the time.
By the way if I do have USB HID set to Yes and mode set to Multimedia control the player acts as it should in Linux and will adjust the volume by turning the blue wheel and play and pause with the appropriate buttons on the Sanas e250 so Linux is recognising it but not as removable drives.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 AM

The right answer is probably to do some kind of automount trick with fstab, but I just open a file manager (thunar or pcman, whatever your DE uses) and the volume name shows up in the upper left panel of the file manager. Clicking on it mounts the filesystem for use by Ubuntu.

This has worked with all of my rockboxed players: e2xx, c2xx, and (heresy, I know) *pod mini.

When done, rightclicking and "unmount" does the umount thing or you can do it from the command line. You could also mount from the command line but I find it quicker/easier to use the gui.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:43 PM

What is the difference between a File Manager and the Computer Icon under places? I downloaded fstaband thunar and as far as I can tell it's no different then simply clicking on the Computer icon or on the filesystem drive on the desktop
How can I mount the player if I don't know where to look for in in the file system? If it won't mount when I plug it in how can I manually mount it if Linux does not see it or I don't know how to tell the OS how to mount it?

Old 06-18-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallase1 View Post
What is the difference between a File Manager and the Computer Icon under places?
The computer icon may be launching the file manager. It's been a while since I've run vanilla gnome, but I think the default is Nautilus.

Quote:
I downloaded fstaband thunar and as far as I can tell it's no different then simply clicking on the Computer icon or on the filesystem drive on the desktop
That appears to be the answer, then.

Quote:
How can I mount the player if I don't know where to look for in in the file system? If it won't mount when I plug it in how can I manually mount it if Linux does not see it or I don't know how to tell the OS how to mount it?
It is likely simpler than that.

You don't have to find it in the filesystem: "the volume name shows up in the upper left panel of the file manager" in the area reserved for floppy, home directory, etc.

What actually shows up there will depend on what the internal and sdcard memory are called in your instance, or maybe how your system sees it. Could be something as generic as SD/MMC card. Whatever it is, it will appear where there was nothing before.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:18 PM

I've found that the Sansa needs to be off when plugged into the computer. If the Sansa is on when it is plugged in, the Sansa looks to be syncing but the sansa doesn't show up in Ubuntu.

For example:

Sansa On when plugged in:
Sansa: usb mode screen on(mouse mode or multimedia mode)
Ubuntu Desktop: nothing shows up in the Places dropdown or on the "desktop"

Sansa OFF when plugged in:
Sansa: usb mode screen on
Ubuntu Desktop: "Sansa E280" and "7.9GB Filesystem" show up on the "desktop"

I don't know if that helps or not. I hope it does

Tags
linux support rockbox