android
Old 07-03-2010, 02:31 PM

Default Cowon S9 or J3 (32GB)?

well i have a MP3 Player dilemma, after that my not so (iPod Touch).. got stolen at my bro's party, I am looking for a new MP3 player.. i have in mind the Cowon S9 or the J3 the 32GB since i want all my music library with me..

so i was wondering if both player are good? i have read some review's on the net.. also they are cheaper than an ipod... (which is true):P...
the J3 looks really good and it's a bit smaller than the S9 because i don't want to have a "brick":P in my pocket...

thanks for the help=)...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Get the J3 for the slightly better batter life, just a bit, and the microSD expansion slot. Otherwise the S9 is just as good, and can be had for a few $$$ less. They're basically both the same player w/different features, as the J3 is a SLIGHT upgrade from the S9.

Either way you go, you'll get an excellent player w/a great screen, the best battery life, huge codec support, a name synonymous w/stellar SQ, and an EQ and sound enhancements that's only rivaled by Samsung. But Samsung doesn't provide the support or the great firmware updates the the Cowon community gets when the S9 or J3 are concerned.

All in all - choose one or the other, you'll be darn happy with your decision.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Get the J3 for the slightly better batter life, just a bit, and the microSD expansion slot. Otherwise the S9 is just as good, and can be had for a few $$$ less. They're basically both the same player w/different features, as the J3 is a SLIGHT upgrade from the S9.

Either way you go, you'll get an excellent player w/a great screen, the best battery life, huge codec support, a name synonymous w/stellar SQ, and an EQ and sound enhancements that's only rivaled by Samsung. But Samsung doesn't provide the support or the great firmware updates the the Cowon community gets when the S9 or J3 are concerned.

All in all - choose one or the other, you'll be darn happy with your decision.
alright so i guess i will take the J3 since i read the great reviews on the net

but i have another question?
i have a MacBook Pro and i was wondering if this will work with it? i have another Windows machine but just in case... on a mac is it hard to put all the music?

Old 07-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From people saying in the past that they had issues w/the S9 (I'm unsure of the J3) I'd opt for the Windows based PC to use instead of an Apple machine.

Try posting in the J3 section of the Cowon forum, since there's bound to be someone who can answer this question w/authority.

Me, I'm almost near my J3's purchase, another week or 2 for me. Selling my Sony X-1061 to get the J3 - I think it's worth it - and I use Windows Vista Ultimate.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:28 PM

The j3 will work on a mac, you just need to first switch it to connect via msc mode in itís settings and if you donít do a safe disconnect is when you run into problems from what Iíve read. But it doesnít hurt to ask other j3/mac users for more details as tds suggested.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-04-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Me, I'm almost near my J3's purchase, another week or 2 for me. Selling my Sony X-1061 to get the J3 - I think it's worth it - and I use Windows Vista Ultimate.
Do you mind telling us how the sound quality compares with the Sony X when you finally get the J3? Thanks.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:04 AM

so i have installed "Windows 7 Professional" (via Parallel) on my MacBook Pro and i was wondering if it will work correctly and do you think it will be the same when i'm going to sync my music on windows media player or songbird?

thanks for the help

Last edited by WilliamBauset; 07-06-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
From people saying in the past that they had issues w/the S9 (I'm unsure of the J3) I'd opt for the Windows based PC to use instead of an Apple machine.

Try posting in the J3 section of the Cowon forum, since there's bound to be someone who can answer this question w/authority.

Yes this post is over a month old but hopefully someone searching the interweb will find this advice useful. Depending on your vendor it may also avoid you having a pretty light paperweight.

I to would suggest not using the J3 with a MAC. I've bricked 3 32GB J3's in a week and if you dig around ABI you'll see it's not simply a matter of properly ejecting the device first. I did this in every case and still ended up with 3 bricked devices.

I'm running OS X 10.5.8 and am trying to work with Amazon and JetAudio to get to the bottom of this.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:26 AM

Default Cowon on a Mac

I have done a heap of web research over the past week before ordering my J3. It looks like you need to drag and drop small selections of music in order to avoid locking up the Cowon players. There are users out there that combine the Mac and Cowon products successfully.

I will let you know how I go in a couple of days when I try to avoid making bricks.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Kinda sad that posts are separated by a couple of months, but for what it's worth I've never had trouble with the S9, and I didn't transfer my music in 'small amounts.' The problems I read about really sound like user end errors, although that's not saying it's okay. iPods don't require even computer-stupid people to be careful.

I read all sorts of scary posts about the Cowons, but then I also read posts about people jumping into modifying their Cowon right away because they aren't satisfied with the firmware for some reason... I suspect this is where people screw something up, but aren't admitting it.