android
Old 06-13-2010, 05:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Cowon S9 was trashed for being "cheap" too. It's almost as if a low relative weight is not believable in our minds as being capable of durability or quality. Yet my S9 and J3 are easily the best performers in my collection. Add that Cowon has found a way to get better battery performance than anyone else. Add gapless playback that it's main competitors are incapable of. Don't forget Gorilla Glass. Throw in "more likely to survive a fall" than any heavier player, and that "cheap" reaction reveals that we've been tricked. There is a reason both the S9 and J3 are award winners. There is a little magic in those packages. JMHO.

Olley

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-13-2010, 07:15 PM

Just a word about balance control/PAN on the j3. It does have this feature, HOWEVER, it's not as extensive as I thought it would be. In Windows, one has complete control to isolate sound 100% to the left or 100% to the right and the entire spectrum in-between. That is NOT the case with the j3--and I presume with all other Cowon players. It can move sound from a setting of -10 to +10, but at either extremes, it's not 100%; it's more like 50%. I've got mine set at +10 and the sound is still not completely balanced for me. I'm very disappointed about this. The whole reason I discovered Cowon players and then subsequently purchased a Cowon was because of its balance control feature, but it doesn't completely balance control. Having said that, I acknowledge that at least Cowon offers some balance control; it's better than nothing. Apple, and all the other major brands, don't even offer it at all. Cowon gets a B for trying and the rest get an F for not trying at all.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Balance Control View Post
That is NOT the case with the j3--and I presume with all other Cowon players. It can move sound from a setting of -10 to +10, but at either extremes, it's not 100%; it's more like 50%. I've got mine set at +10 and the sound is still not completely balanced for me.
No, only the S9 so far had that kind of pan/balance control. All other Cowons can pan between 100% left and right. Thanks for letting me know.

For me the S9's (and presumably J3's) subtle way of panning is the best variant they made so far, since with their other players I always am somewhere between -2 and -3, yet with the S9 pan control I can fine tune it much better to my hearing. But, alas, all people's ears are different.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
No, only the S9 so far had that kind of pan/balance control. All other Cowons can pan between 100% left and right. Thanks for letting me know.

For me the S9's (and presumably J3's) subtle way of panning is the best variant they made so far, since with their other players I always am somewhere between -2 and -3, yet with the S9 pan control I can fine tune it much better to my hearing. But, alas, all people's ears are different.
I see what you mean. Subtle/minute incrementing is also important. I wish it allowed -50 to + 50 or -100 to +100. :-) For my needs, I really need to move sound 80-90% to one side.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

Hi all...it's my first post here, but my rapidly becoming obsessive interest in the J3 has made it inevitable. Just wanting to share the excitement !!

I had never really considered Cowon products before - currently I use a 16GB Creative Zen, which I've had for a year and a half or so, and I've been very happy with it - especially since I paired it with Klipsch Image S4 earbuds.

The more I read about Cowon, the more excited I am about their SQ reputation. I’m definitely feeling a desire to upgrade to a touchscreen player, but have a natural aversion to the Ipod product…mainly because 90% of my use of the player will be listening to music, and so naturally my main criteria is sound quality.

The J3 just seems like about a 99% match for what I am after, and it’s going to take a lot of patience for me to wait for bugs to be ironed out and price to come down a bit !!

Anyway, today I found this review, which I thought was quite a good one !! Sorry if it has already been highlighted on here.

http://4dthinker.blogspot.com/2010/0...j3-review.html

By the way, I e-mailed the lovely Jasmine at Cnet to ask why they haven’t reviewed the J3 yet. She responded straight back and said she imagined it was because nobody had sent them one to review – she was going to check with her boss.

I love Jasmine – she makes my heart flutter !!

Last edited by samhunt; 06-15-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: adding another related comment

Old 06-21-2010, 02:38 PM

Hey guys i'n new here but have enjoyed this forum very much for a while now, but finally signed up because after having a D2 for so long, which got stolen.... i'm just wondering where the cheapest country to buy it from? my parents are going to western Europe in about 6 weeks, and they're also going to Thailand.

just wondering if it would be worth getting one overseas from my parents? and suggestions would be much welcome : )

Old 06-26-2010, 07:36 AM

Finally the 32gb J3 has arrived in the uk. http://amp3news.blogspot.com/2010/06...ng-forthe.html

Old 06-26-2010, 05:22 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet as suga View Post
Finally the 32gb J3 has arrived in the uk. http://amp3news.blogspot.com/2010/06...ng-forthe.html
good for you, you "monkeys from the island. oh, man is there really no decent derogatory for those brits?

here in germany we don't have the j3 32 gb, it hasn't even been officially released. but we are superior in one thing: pricing.

only in germany are you able to buy a cowon j3 16 gb cheaper than its little brother(/sister?)

we are export champions, but we can't import stuff for shit, you just have to love globalization.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
good for you, you "monkeys from the island. oh, man is there really no decent derogatory for those brits?

here in germany we don't have the j3 32 gb, it hasn't even been officially released. but we are superior in one thing: pricing.

only in germany are you able to buy a cowon j3 16 gb cheaper than its little brother(/sister?)

we are export champions, but we can't import stuff for shit, you just have to love globalization.
Holy frack. German prices are hella expensive. 285 Euros for the 16gb version? Amazon US has it for $239 USD. That converts to about 193 euros given the latest exchange rate. I'm sure there's more VAT on top of the 285 euros so Europeans are getting reamed up the butt big time.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need Balance Control View Post
Holy frack. German prices are hella expensive. 285 Euros for the 16gb version? Amazon US has it for $239 USD. That converts to about 193 euros given the latest exchange rate. I'm sure there's more VAT on top of the 285 euros so Europeans are getting reamed up the butt big time.
to be fair it hasn't been released here yet, so those are import prices. but then again i can order a cowon j3 32 gb with leather case from exportprive.com for 335 dollars and still have change for shipping.