android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Sub-Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
It's better than trying to argue with Apple fanboys on Youtube (this one guy tried to say that OSX was open-source). [snipped]
Now THAT is funny... and ironic!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-25-2010, 04:01 PM

No gapless.
No EQ.
Very few apps.

Now I know the Touch doesn't have an EQ, either, but it does do gapless and it also has enough high-quality games on it that it's practically in the same arena as the NDS and PSP.

It's really too bad, I love the Zune HD's physical design and the UI is quite attractive.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSILMike View Post
No gapless... no, it's bugged. It's there, and works for some formats/bit rates but not others.
This "no gapless" comment I've seen repeated by a few folks is intriguing. Since Zunes have supposedly had gapless support for years, what went wrong, and when did it happen? Which particular formats and bitrates still work (more specifically, are LAME-encoded VBR [e.g. v0 and v2] MP3s gapless on the device)?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've used a few of the Zunes: Zune 30/80/120/HD,....all do gapless. I had tested them w/a few Pink Floyd CD's, plus some dance mix DJ CD's.

One thing the Zunes seem to do pretty well is gapless - so why do people keep saying it's not a feature on the devices?

EDIT: Seems the Zune.net forums have had people complaining that their Z:HD 64gb doesn't do gapless,..................WTF!?!?! I hope this is corrected ASAP, as there's too many good people waiting for this DAP to play nice and do what's been promised to them.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:07 PM

They do gapless but not with drm from the marketplace...Dave has commented on this that he is not sure what is wrong but he never got back to us with a plan to fix it...
Gapless works great on my zune with albums I put on myself but the marketplace/pass songs don't work...

The zune is pretty awesome...there are some things MS needs to fix...definitely the need to get the record companies more on board with the zune pass as it's really getting more and more of a pain now for me to see some albums not there that I would like...wasn't happening to me before but as you discover more music (which is a huge benefit of a zune pass) you soon discover many albums and songs they recommend are not available at all(ridiculous) or just not with a zune pass(I'm not paying a f'ing cent to a record company when I'm already paying a monthly fee...sorry, not into double dipping)...
The recent changes for recommendations are a good step but the channels for me still suck pretty large and they need to work on that...

Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll just add 1 comment: If the Zune HD ends up w/a CUSTOM EQ I'll get a 64gb model. Otherwise, it's a nice device - just not for me. I'm kinda proud of how the whole video thing is working for you guys, and the app thing is something I can overlook, but that 1 request is all I ask for - and it's not the hardest to implement.

Till then if ever, I hope this DAP does nothing but come into it's own right. And Dave, he's good people - treat him right.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
1. a legit hd radio. crystal clear in my workplace and can hear at least 50-100 stations.

2. solid sound.

3. brilliant oled screen. i download hd videos and play em all the time. people are amazed at how solid the screen is and how well the videos look.

4. zune pass. nothing else like it out there. i get any song i want for 15 bucks a month. can sync wirelessly and zune pass works well with zune.

just wanted to post this for people who may be looking at one.

it doesnt have apps and i know thats why people complain.

but with apps they would have sacrificed somewhere else, maybe the hd radio. ill take the hd radio anyday over ipod and there 100,000 apps
#1 It has no custom EQ
Most members here care about sound quality as number 1. And zune's sq is average at best with no custom eq.

#2 It has no dedicated volume buttons.

#3 There are no third party software for it. So it is 100% Lockdowned. Ipod at least has some options. People prefer less lockdowned devices. Locking a device down doesn't prevent stealing even in the slightest. People who plan to steal are still going to download both music and videos illegally whether the device is lockdowned or not.

With that said,
give me a parametric custom eq and i'll deal with 2 and 3 with gladness.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
#1 It has no custom EQ
Most members here care about sound quality as number 1. And zune's sq is average at best with no custom eq.

#3 There are no third party software for it. So it is 100% Lockdowned. Ipod at least has some options. People prefer less lockdowned devices. Locking a device down doesn't prevent stealing even in the slightest. People who plan to steal are still going to download both music and videos illegally whether the device is lockdowned or not.

With that said,
#1 and #2 and #3 are all issues for me. The Touch has a dedicated volume.

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 06-25-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:35 PM

I like the media button more than physical button!!!

Give the ZuneHD some user customization, I mean c'mon all we got to customize is the lockscreen backround =(

Also where is Zune HD accessories? External speakers? Hard case?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem7 View Post
Give the ZuneHD some user customization
X2

By the way, thanks to those who spelled out the gapless issues. If the Zune HD broke gapless playback with LAME MP3s, it would be a showstopper for me -- but since I never plan on venturing into DRMed territory (where the gapless bugs reside), they aren't issues I'd be prone to see (and not just because I have no immediate intention of purchasing the device... ).

Last edited by epithetless; 06-25-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
#1 It has no custom EQ

With that said,
1. If you cared about sound quality, you would know that EQ is purely used for balancing music. Most music is perfectly balanced when it is released, so I don't see why so-called "sound-quality aficionados" make such a big deal out of such a minor thing.

2. The media controls are as easy (probably easier) than a dedicated volume (I hate using the volume rocker on my Pre, because you can't get an exact sound level--it's either too loud or too soft). They are more efficient. The Zune's media controls made me realize how much I hated volume rockers for their impreciseness and lack of extra functionality.

3. iPod offers options like what? No third party alternatives currently exist for the iPod Touch (unless you jailbreak, which defeats the purpose of this argument).
Second of all, it seems like you don't have a focus for #3. You're talking about DRM, which has nothing to do with the fact that the Zune is locked to the Zune software. Third party alternatives, when available, usually do not work as well as first party alternatives. It's the bane of open source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "lem7
Also where is Zune HD accessories? External speakers? Hard case?
This makes me wonder whether you've actually searched for accessories. There are plenty. Reviewed on this very site, even.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:36 PM

I think my brain just exploded. I've rarely ever read a post I disagree so strongly with.

1.) Don't patronize me, don't tell me what an EQ has to be used for, according to your understanding. Other people have a very different understanding of what EQs can achieve. Some even are audio engineers and use them on a daily basis in their job.

2.) That is just ridiculous. There is nothing better than dedicated volume controls. You can make your sound louder or quieter with one action - you can't do that with any convoluted "media control" scheme, involving one button and a touch screen. Just because your Pre is crap doesn't mean that dedicated volume controls are crap in general.

3.) The iPod Touch at least can be properly jailbroken and used to one's personal preference, without jumping through a company's hoops. I don't suggest getting either one, Apple and Microsoft are the same anyways - but the iPod is a lot more open than the Zune. And you don't have to use iTunes with it if you don't want to, you can choose your poison. That's not a stereotypical "bane of open source", as you babble, but quite the positive reaction to something a lot of people want/need. If you feel safe and happy being 100% in Microsoft's claws, so be it - but don't badmouth people trying to better the situation for others that aren't satisfied. (But then again, why even bother with crippleware and not get an open player straight away... questions, questions...)

I mean, you even have a clichée Ubuntu avatar, and you say such things? Wow.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
This makes me wonder whether you've actually searched for accessories. There are plenty. Reviewed on this very site, even.
Yeah their is lots of accessories online but I don't have a credit card. Target,walmart their is 0 accessories.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I think my brain just exploded. I've rarely ever read a post I disagree so strongly with.

1.) Don't patronize me, don't tell me what an EQ has to be used for, according to your understanding. Other people have a very different understanding of what EQs can achieve. Some even are audio engineers and use them on a daily basis in their job.

2.) That is just ridiculous. There is nothing better than dedicated volume controls. You can make your sound louder or quieter with one action - you can't do that with any convoluted "media control" scheme, involving one button and a touch screen. Just because your Pre is crap doesn't mean that dedicated volume controls are crap in general.

3.) The iPod Touch at least can be properly jailbroken and used to one's personal preference, without jumping through a company's hoops. I don't suggest getting either one, Apple and Microsoft are the same anyways - but the iPod is a lot more open than the Zune. And you don't have to use iTunes with it if you don't want to, you can choose your poison. That's not a stereotypical "bane of open source", as you babble, but quite the positive reaction to something a lot of people want/need. If you feel safe and happy being 100% in Microsoft's claws, so be it - but don't badmouth people trying to better the situation for others that aren't satisfied. (But then again, why even bother with crippleware and not get an open player straight away... questions, questions...)

Wow that was a pretty angry post there dfkt. I agree with you on your points, but was he even aiming his post at you?

Old 06-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky6 View Post
Wow that was a pretty angry post there dfkt. I agree with you on your points, but was he even aiming his post at you?
I don't think the post had to be aimed at dfkt for him to strike back with his thoughts. Weedalin's post smacked of self-righteous condescension, which I guess would be more tolerable if he wasn't so consistently off-base.

Oh, and as for #3: Even without jailbreaking, CopyTrans Manager can give your iPod Touch an iTunes-less existence should you so desire.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:57 PM

Well I always thought eq was a complete waste...to each his or her own I guess...no need to go crazy and call people self righteous...just a waste of a function in my opinion...
Volume button...I'd like to see a nicely integrated one as a headphone adapter (not a resistor but a digital type)...I always actually found myself actually increasing the volume by mistake on devices I have with physical buttons
Saying the iphone/ipod is more open because it can be jailbroken is a bit silly...I guess my tomtom is pretty open as well as I can easily hack that to put on any number of maps and changes to it but I'm also sure tomtom doesn't like it...there are just not enough people who have a zune for it to become hacked I guess

Old 06-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lip View Post
no need to go crazy and call people self righteous...
Sorry, didn't realize being truthful was going crazy...

Moving along...

Old 06-26-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Sorry, didn't realize being truthful was going crazy...

Moving along...
I think it's more along the line of one's opinion on the need for certain features...I realize I don't speak for everyone (well sometimes I don't...hehe)...I really think an EQ is a waste for most...I never used it on my creative player or my old rio...

Old 06-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
1. If you cared about sound quality, you would know that EQ is purely used for balancing music. Most music is perfectly balanced when it is released, so I don't see why so-called "sound-quality aficionados" make such a big deal out of such a minor thing.

2. The media controls are as easy (probably easier) than a dedicated volume (I hate using the volume rocker on my Pre, because you can't get an exact sound level--it's either too loud or too soft). They are more efficient. The Zune's media controls made me realize how much I hated volume rockers for their impreciseness and lack of extra functionality.

3. iPod offers options like what? No third party alternatives currently exist for the iPod Touch (unless you jailbreak, which defeats the purpose of this argument).
Second of all, it seems like you don't have a focus for #3. You're talking about DRM, which has nothing to do with the fact that the Zune is locked to the Zune software. Third party alternatives, when available, usually do not work as well as first party alternatives. It's the bane of open source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post

I agree w/dfkt, but I'd like to add a refinement or 2 for my own satisfaction:

#1: The music isn't balanced and perfect sounding, as it's a studio engineer deciding what you should hear or not hear in the final product. An EQ is to make the audio more enjoyable for the person listening to it - as we all have different tastes in what sounds good or bad. Having a choice is a bad thing??? Strange choice of wording on your part.

#2: having a dedicated volume control is not only an ease of use issue, but a safety issue. Why take a device out of your pocket, or look away from the road while driving, when all you need do is use a volume rocker to adjust the volume on the device. Plus, pull a $300 device out in a not-so-good neighborhood and see what may happen. I have 2 Sonys, a Touch, and a few other players - plus my Moto Droid -and all have excellent hardware volume controls. Your reasoning, based on a crap Palm Pre, is quite selfish and shows your limited experience w/other devices than a sorrily produced cell phone.

#3: The Touch doesn't need to be jailbroken to be used w/other media management software, and all the iPod's are the same. There's no lockdown to force the use of DRM'd tunes, and the Touch is much less restrictive than the Zune's will ever be,... Between the 2 the 'Pod's are the less restricted choice, and someone spouting false & outdated information really irritates me. Especially since the alternatives work just as well, if not better than iTunes - no luck of that ever occuring w/that Zune there, is it?

Really, both are based on closed ecosystems, but the iPod monoculture has managed to become a somewhat open arena.The Zunes are still on lockdown, and no MS Fanboi BS can change that fact.

And, to ask a question based on what someone else has brought up: Why do you have a LINUX avatar, when your the locked down and follower-type of person? Being a blind Zune Fanboi is all the proof I need of that. get a new avatar, one the suits your personality - please.

And just for the record, I hate Fanboi's, any Fanboi. I'm a Sony SQ Fanboi, and I eat my words all the time - but I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong,.....too bad most MS and Apple Fanboi's can't do the same.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 06-26-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:37 AM

Can we stop with the hate please?

Closed Thread